seagate barracuda 320gb 7200.10 sata II issue

chrone

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
has anyone ever experienced overheating with seagate barracuda 320gb 7200.10 sata II? or even fried the chipset?

mine was overheated at 52 celcius degree without hdd air cooling. and suddenly the chipset fried. used it only for almost 6 hours of usage.

mdmoy

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
I have 2 of them and they run at about 33C without problems, in an Antec Sonata II case. Highest temp I saw was 36C (using Speedfan to report temps from SMART data).

Just one off-the-wall suggestion - is your Power Supply beefy enough? The only reason I ask is that I had a problem with an external enclosure once that was underpowered, and it caused the disk (a different, IDE seagate drive) to overheat badly, until I replaced the external power supply.

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Yes, a new big fast HD can overheat (whereas the unit it replaced may not have).
I bought one of those new Seagates - perpendicular storage right?
Or so I thought... when I got it home, my Seagate turned out to be a WD!
320GB, 16MB cache, SATA2 - just not the Seagate (no NCQ). New kid at the store. Man was I pissed off!
As it happened, I used it (it was a Sunday) and WTF, I have a Raptor for my OS anyway... so I used the WD, it would be fine for movie storage or whatever.
I'm reading ~34C for 2 drives in front of fan and ~38C for the 320GB above fan.
Well! I guess I'm glad I did not receive the Seagate after all, LoL :^)
But seriously, these HDs require:
-shielded round cabling
-healthy powersupply
-great ventilation (incl. ~120mm rear case exhaust fan).
If HDs get beyond the upper 40's it is not good. No future in it...
But thank goodness HDs are very inexpensive, heheh
Regards

chrone

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
i guess i ran out of power supply, it's only 350 watt for athlon xp, radeon 9200se agp, 2x 512mb ddr333, 120gb seagate ata 7200, & 320 seagate sata 7200.10.

perhaps that's why it fried up. lol

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Just keep some kind of airflow over it and it will stay nice and cool... Mine gets pretty warm with no airflow, but nothing to be scared of.

Siba

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
i guess i ran out of power supply, it's only 350 watt for athlon xp, radeon 9200se agp, 2x 512mb ddr333, 120gb seagate ata 7200, & 320 seagate sata 7200.10.

perhaps that's why it fried up. lol

I've run more than that on an old antec 350w. Athlon XP 3200+, Radeon 9800 pro, Audigy 2, PCI ata controller, 3 hard drives, 2x512mb ddr400

nanoprobs

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Another way to cool ur H.D effectively is to stuck thin double sided tape underneath a big heatsink then stick that heatsink onto ur H.D. If u got enough clearence above ur H.D. U can use any heatsink u can get ur hands on, since the H.D is flat on top so it's easy to stick the heatsink on. I stick 3 old PIII heatsinks on one of my machine that runs 24/7 to ensure that the H.D don't crap up under heat. Plus if u can get some ram heatsinks then u can stick 2 of those on the main chipset of the H.D and 1 on the cache (ram) of the H.D. This way u can make sure that it won't stuff up becoz it overheat, but still u can't make the H.D last forever, it's a wear and tear hardware. So expect some faults in the long run.....

chrone

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
i see. perhaps it was just a generic PSU included within the chassis when it bought 3 years ago.

thanks for the info Siba & nanoprobs! :)

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Here is a link to a (Canadian) round cable distributor:
http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Mer...n=CTGY&Store_Code=Bigfoot&Category_Code=420.5
As you can see they are inexpensive, top-quality, and can reduce your ambient in-case temperature considerably...
Yes just the tiniest steady airflow (like buddy said) will make all the difference in the world. Heatsinks on the HD will help, LoL - even if funny-looking.
WD Raptors come with an extruded finning that regular harddisk models don't have,
L8R

CNeufeld

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Here is a link to a (Canadian) round cable distributor:
http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/Mer...n=CTGY&Store_Code=Bigfoot&Category_Code=420.5
As you can see they are inexpensive, top-quality, and can reduce your ambient in-case temperature considerably...
Yes just the tiniest steady airflow (like buddy said) will make all the difference in the world. Heatsinks on the HD will help, LoL - even if funny-looking.
WD Raptors come with an extruded finning that regular harddisk models don't have,
L8R

Only problem is that none of the cables on that page will work with your SATA drive. Of course, that may assist in keeping your drive cool, although your access time may suck.

Clint

TRENDING THREADS