Affordable Postscript Printers

I tried to post this before, but something happened...

Can anyone steer me to an afford Postscript
printer? I have been looking at rebuilts,
but at $250 for an HP 4M and $350 for an HP 6MP
I wonder if there is such a printer.....

Thanks in advance

john slimick
slimick@pitt.edu
8 answers Last reply
More about affordable postscript printers

    How much do you want to spend?

    Mike Schumann

    "John Slimick" <slimick@pitt.edu> wrote in message
    >I tried to post this before, but something happened...
    >
    > Can anyone steer me to an afford Postscript
    > printer? I have been looking at rebuilts,
    > but at $250 for an HP 4M and $350 for an HP 6MP
    > I wonder if there is such a printer.....
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > john slimick
    > slimick@pitt.edu

    John Slimick <slimick@pitt.edu> wrote:
    > I tried to post this before, but something happened...
    >
    > Can anyone steer me to an afford Postscript
    > printer? I have been looking at rebuilts,
    > but at $250 for an HP 4M and $350 for an HP 6MP
    > I wonder if there is such a printer.....

    What's the application--do you need a printer that supports PostScript
    natively?

    If a computer-based PS interpreter would be acceptable, Ghostscript is
    free and works well:

    http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/

    Hi John

    I prefer Brother lasers over HPs these days,
    particularly at the low end. Better drivers,
    better build quality.

    Many models come with a Postscript clone, BR-Script3.
    I've had no problems with it, but it IS a clone,
    so some apps might have issues.

    (Aside: Postscript is wacky enough that even machines that
    supposedly support it still have issues; for example, I've
    never gotten my HP LJ 5000 to print InDesign 2 Postscript
    docs correctly, and have to use workarounds)

    A Brother example worth looking at is the 5700DN: 21 ppm,
    duplex, built-in networking. Around $300.

    -- Stan

    In article <4fjVe.332$Op3.226@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net>,
    "Stanley Krute" <stan@stankrute.com> wrote:

    > Many models come with a Postscript clone, BR-Script3.
    > I've had no problems with it, but it IS a clone,
    > so some apps might have issues.
    >
    > (Aside: Postscript is wacky enough that even machines that
    > supposedly support it still have issues; for example, I've
    > never gotten my HP LJ 5000 to print InDesign 2 Postscript
    > docs correctly, and have to use workarounds)

    Interestingly enough, your LJ5000 comes with a CLONE interpreter.

    So maybe that's why it won't print from InDesign correctly.

    I have used gs in the past, but I was not
    always happy with the result. I have made
    a point of having a PS printer around, so that
    my only embarassments are mine.

    I am surprised that there are so few entrants
    that one can sell a rebuilt HP 6MP for
    $350 (no cartridge or printer cable). I know
    that the 6MP's are built of iron, but when
    was the last one manufactured?

    Thanks to one suggestion, I will take a look
    at the Brother printer.

    john slimick
    slimick@pitt.edu

    In article <4fjVe.332$Op3.226@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net>,
    "Stanley Krute" <stan@stankrute.com> wrote:

    > (Aside: Postscript is wacky enough that even machines that
    > supposedly support it still have issues; for example, I've
    > never gotten my HP LJ 5000 to print InDesign 2 Postscript
    > docs correctly, and have to use workarounds)

    And yet again you ignore the fact that your LJ5000 uses a Postscript
    clone, because HP went to PS clone interpreters a long time ago.

    >> (Aside: Postscript is wacky enough that even machines that
    >> supposedly support it still have issues; for example, I've
    >> never gotten my HP LJ 5000 to print InDesign 2 Postscript
    >> docs correctly, and have to use workarounds)
    >
    > And yet again you ignore the fact that your LJ5000 uses a Postscript
    > clone, because HP went to PS clone interpreters a long time ago.

    InDesign 2 can output some stuff that chokes true PostScript 3 devices, too.
    I've got a couple true Postscript printers here, along with a Lanier copier
    and HP 2200D (clones), and you never know which one is going to process an
    ID doc that has a minor corruption bug.

    FWIW, the best answer might be to upgrade to a newer version of ID, save as
    ..inx and reimport. That seems to kill off all sorts of file corruption.

    -John O

    I could sell you a refurbished HP laserjet 4M Plus with a Toner
    cartridge in it for $150 Plus cost of S&H. Email me for more details if
    you are interested. I fix, refurbish HP laserjet printers of all kinds:
    I have LJ 6L , 1100, 1200, 4 Plus, 5, 6MP, 5Si, all the way up to 8150
    on hands.

    Dewaine Chan
    D consulting
    Raleigh, NC

    John Slimick wrote:

    > I have used gs in the past, but I was not
    > always happy with the result. I have made
    > a point of having a PS printer around, so that
    > my only embarassments are mine.
    >
    > I am surprised that there are so few entrants
    > that one can sell a rebuilt HP 6MP for
    > $350 (no cartridge or printer cable). I know
    > that the 6MP's are built of iron, but when
    > was the last one manufactured?
    >
    > Thanks to one suggestion, I will take a look
    > at the Brother printer.
    >
    > john slimick
    > slimick@pitt.edu

Printers Hewlett Packard Peripherals