  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
a b α HP
September 12, 2005 12:42:15 AM

I tried to post this before, but something happened...

Can anyone steer me to an afford Postscript
printer? I have been looking at rebuilts,
but at $250 for an HP 4M and $350 for an HP 6MP
I wonder if there is such a printer.....

Thanks in advance

john slimick
slimick@pitt.edu

More about : affordable postscript printers

Anonymous
a b α HP
September 12, 2005 7:51:59 AM

How much do you want to spend?

Mike Schumann

"John Slimick" <slimick@pitt.edu> wrote in message
>I tried to post this before, but something happened...
>
> Can anyone steer me to an afford Postscript
> printer? I have been looking at rebuilts,
> but at $250 for an HP 4M and $350 for an HP 6MP
> I wonder if there is such a printer.....
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> john slimick
> slimick@pitt.edu

Anonymous
a b α HP
September 12, 2005 7:06:27 PM

John Slimick <slimick@pitt.edu> wrote:
> I tried to post this before, but something happened...
>
> Can anyone steer me to an afford Postscript
> printer? I have been looking at rebuilts,
> but at $250 for an HP 4M and $350 for an HP 6MP
> I wonder if there is such a printer.....

What's the application--do you need a printer that supports PostScript
natively?

If a computer-based PS interpreter would be acceptable, Ghostscript is
free and works well:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/

a b α HP
September 12, 2005 9:52:00 PM

Hi John

I prefer Brother lasers over HPs these days,
particularly at the low end. Better drivers,
better build quality.

Many models come with a Postscript clone, BR-Script3.
I've had no problems with it, but it IS a clone,
so some apps might have issues.

(Aside: Postscript is wacky enough that even machines that
supposedly support it still have issues; for example, I've
never gotten my HP LJ 5000 to print InDesign 2 Postscript
docs correctly, and have to use workarounds)

A Brother example worth looking at is the 5700DN: 21 ppm,
duplex, built-in networking. Around $300.

-- Stan
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 12, 2005 9:52:01 PM

In article <4fjVe.332$Op3.226@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net>,
"Stanley Krute" <stan@stankrute.com> wrote:

> Many models come with a Postscript clone, BR-Script3.
> I've had no problems with it, but it IS a clone,
> so some apps might have issues.
>
> (Aside: Postscript is wacky enough that even machines that
> supposedly support it still have issues; for example, I've
> never gotten my HP LJ 5000 to print InDesign 2 Postscript
> docs correctly, and have to use workarounds)

Interestingly enough, your LJ5000 comes with a CLONE interpreter.

So maybe that's why it won't print from InDesign correctly.
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 13, 2005 2:54:54 AM

I have used gs in the past, but I was not
always happy with the result. I have made
a point of having a PS printer around, so that
my only embarassments are mine.

I am surprised that there are so few entrants
that one can sell a rebuilt HP 6MP for
$350 (no cartridge or printer cable). I know
that the 6MP's are built of iron, but when
was the last one manufactured?

Thanks to one suggestion, I will take a look
at the Brother printer.

john slimick
slimick@pitt.edu
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 14, 2005 10:41:00 AM

In article <4fjVe.332$Op3.226@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net>,
"Stanley Krute" <stan@stankrute.com> wrote:

> (Aside: Postscript is wacky enough that even machines that
> supposedly support it still have issues; for example, I've
> never gotten my HP LJ 5000 to print InDesign 2 Postscript
> docs correctly, and have to use workarounds)

And yet again you ignore the fact that your LJ5000 uses a Postscript
clone, because HP went to PS clone interpreters a long time ago.
September 14, 2005 3:58:46 PM

>> (Aside: Postscript is wacky enough that even machines that
>> supposedly support it still have issues; for example, I've
>> never gotten my HP LJ 5000 to print InDesign 2 Postscript
>> docs correctly, and have to use workarounds)
>
> And yet again you ignore the fact that your LJ5000 uses a Postscript
> clone, because HP went to PS clone interpreters a long time ago.

InDesign 2 can output some stuff that chokes true PostScript 3 devices, too.
I've got a couple true Postscript printers here, along with a Lanier copier
and HP 2200D (clones), and you never know which one is going to process an
ID doc that has a minor corruption bug.

FWIW, the best answer might be to upgrade to a newer version of ID, save as
..inx and reimport. That seems to kill off all sorts of file corruption.

-John O
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 21, 2005 7:02:38 AM

I could sell you a refurbished HP laserjet 4M Plus with a Toner
cartridge in it for $150 Plus cost of S&H. Email me for more details if
you are interested. I fix, refurbish HP laserjet printers of all kinds:
I have LJ 6L , 1100, 1200, 4 Plus, 5, 6MP, 5Si, all the way up to 8150
on hands.

Dewaine Chan
D consulting
Raleigh, NC