audio players recommended

Since XP comes with its Media Player and since many sites will not play
music or news with that player, I am wondering what players are
recommended--Real? Any problems with that?
Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about audio players recommended

    I highly recommend WinAmp.

    richard wrote:
    > Since XP comes with its Media Player and since many sites will not
    > play music or news with that player, I am wondering what players are
    > recommended--Real?

    Depends on what format is supported by the sites you are referring to. Some
    sites support proprietary formats such as Windows Media (requires Windows
    Media Player, which you have), Realmedia (requires Real Player) or QuickTime
    (requires QuickTime). So basically you have to use the player that is
    supported by the site you wish to listen to.

    > Any problems with that?

    Well, maybe. Both Real and QuickTime has a history of nearly hijacking
    systems they are installed to: Desktop icons refusing to go away, no respect
    for preferred file associations, background "agents" running at system
    startup, nag screens etc. What the status is for these two programs is at
    the moment I do not know, but that is because I have chosen to not go near
    any of these with a ten foot pole for several years. Instead, I use
    alternative distributions of both. Take a look at the Real Alternative from
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm and QuickTime
    Alternative from
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm

    "André Gulliksen" <andre.gulliksen@start.no> wrote in message
    > richard wrote:
    >> Since XP comes with its Media Player and since many sites will not
    >> play music or news with that player, I am wondering what players are
    >> recommended--Real?
    >
    > Depends on what format is supported by the sites you are referring to.
    > Some sites support proprietary formats such as Windows Media (requires
    > Windows Media Player, which you have), Realmedia (requires Real Player)

    Fortunately Realmedia does *not* require Real Player. There are freeware
    alternatives available. Unfortunately, at the moment I'm on my laptop, not
    my home computer, and I can't check what I have installed at home. If nobody
    else mentions an alternative, and you'd like one, remind me again after
    Monday, and I'll post the name of what I use.

    --
    Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Shell/User
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Audio Microsoft Windows XP