Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Since XP comes with its Media Player and since many sites will not play
music or news with that player, I am wondering what players are
recommended--Real? Any problems with that?
Thanks

I highly recommend WinAmp.

richard wrote:
> Since XP comes with its Media Player and since many sites will not
> play music or news with that player, I am wondering what players are
> recommended--Real?

Depends on what format is supported by the sites you are referring to. Some
sites support proprietary formats such as Windows Media (requires Windows
Media Player, which you have), Realmedia (requires Real Player) or QuickTime
(requires QuickTime). So basically you have to use the player that is
supported by the site you wish to listen to.

> Any problems with that?

Well, maybe. Both Real and QuickTime has a history of nearly hijacking
systems they are installed to: Desktop icons refusing to go away, no respect
for preferred file associations, background "agents" running at system
startup, nag screens etc. What the status is for these two programs is at
the moment I do not know, but that is because I have chosen to not go near
any of these with a ten foot pole for several years. Instead, I use
alternative distributions of both. Take a look at the Real Alternative from
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm and QuickTime
Alternative from
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm

"André Gulliksen" <andre.gulliksen@start.no> wrote in message
> richard wrote:
>> Since XP comes with its Media Player and since many sites will not
>> play music or news with that player, I am wondering what players are
>> recommended--Real?
>
> Depends on what format is supported by the sites you are referring to.
> Some sites support proprietary formats such as Windows Media (requires
> Windows Media Player, which you have), Realmedia (requires Real Player)

Fortunately Realmedia does *not* require Real Player. There are freeware
alternatives available. Unfortunately, at the moment I'm on my laptop, not
my home computer, and I can't check what I have installed at home. If nobody
else mentions an alternative, and you'd like one, remind me again after
Monday, and I'll post the name of what I use.

--
Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Shell/User
Please Reply to the Newsgroup