Too Much Thermal Paste

twolfe18

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
recently i bought a scythe ninja and some as5 for my amd 4200+ (s939). after installing it i found that my temperatures actually went up from my stock cooler. 8O I used to be at about 33/42 c at idle/load, but now im at 35/45. granted, it has got a bit warmer in my room, but it has definatly gone up.

i think that i had two problems when installing that you guys will probably laugh at me for making. frankly im laughing at my self right now, i dont know why i didnt realize this earlier.

first of all, when getting the old thermal pad off the stock hsf and cpu, i used 15% ethanol, not like 70% isopropanol. not really all of the residual came off and i was kinda freaked out by that.

second of all, i think i put on too much thermal paste. i spread it out with a clean pencil eraser, but i was at least a mm thick covered all over the cpu.

should i think about uninstalling it and doing it right the second time?

Um ya turn the computer off and do what you can to wipe off ALL current and older paste. It all will come off, just try not to scratch the HS. Then, the best way to apply the paste onto the dye *just the dye not the whole thing, is to put an appropreate alotted drop in the center and spread it around with the edge of a peice of paper. Dont touch the stuff cause the oil is bad. And dont use an eraser either.