When I insert a blank DVD+R 16x, It changes the icon to CD!!

tb28w3

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
I just bought a new Samsung DVD RW SH-S182M and installed it in my case. I had a Lite-On DVD RW in there, and put it in my old Dell. The Dell didn't have a burner, just cd burner. Both drives show DVDRW under My Computer when there is nothing in there, but when I put in the disks, it changes the description to CD Drives. What am I missing??

tb28w3

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
Ok. I updated the firmware of the drives, and still, when I insert a blank DVD+R, it recognizes it as a blank cd. I don't know what I'm missing.

tb28w3

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
I though that, but when I tried to burn a few things, it errored. Do you think it could be the DVD's themselves?

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
You dont have to go that far... what burning software are you using?

Try downloading Alchool, or get free version of DVD-Decoder... There is a commercial version which is not what Im talking about... DVDDecoder was a free app, that got shut down by the evil movie industry... it has a ISO write feature, and lots of different features under a few of the settings, if you look hard enough.

If these software doesnt work, then you got to put back your lite-on, and see if that works still... if it does work then you will have to RMA your new drive...

If you can, try a different media... though Ive never had problems... some companies are releasing firmware updates to increase support for different media.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
If you are just using the internal Windows XP burning wizard thing to burn them, as it sounds, remember that Windows XP doesnt support DVD±R/RW burning, only CD-R/RW.

Get Nero or similar.

tb28w3

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
I don't want to reinstall Windows. I have my comp really smooth right now, and don't want to have to redo it again! Anyways, my new Samsung drive is kicking a** and the only thing I can't burn to a disk is the FEAR demo. It says that there is an error writing finalyzing the disk. It has ripper about 10 DVD's in 2-3 weeks, and no problems yet on movies. I use DVD Shrink, Nero, DVD Fab Decrypter, Free DVD, 1 Click DVD, etc.... I have a slew of programs to throw at a movie that doesn't like to be copied!! : ) Anyways, the icon still says that the disk is a blank cd and it just bugs me. Doesn't seem to be a stability problem or anything....... Just wierd.