Sign in with
Your question

sharing a printer over a network

Last response: in Networking
December 7, 2005 10:24:05 AM

I'm trying to share a printer over a network.
I have a Desktop computer with the printer connected to it. The desktop computer is hardwired to the Linksys wireless router. I bought a laptop for school, But the only problem I ran into is I don't know how to network both computers together and share the printer over my network.

The Desktop is a custom clone I built 2 years ago
and the laptop is a toshiba with Windows XP Home.

Please help Me!!!
December 7, 2005 6:53:05 PM

Right click on your printer, select sharing.

On your other computer in the browser type: \computername which would be the sharing the printer.

Try that, maybe it'll work.. this way I won't give you all the steps and waste time..
December 8, 2005 11:08:44 AM

you just need to enable the file and printer sharing for both of your pc and laptop. :lol: 
Related resources
February 8, 2006 1:43:41 AM

I enabled printer sharing on both computers, and I still can't print over the network.
My laptop sees the desktop over the network, but I can't access it. Please Help!!!!!
February 8, 2006 1:46:17 AM

I can access the laptops harddrive from the desktop computer, but I can't access the desktop harddrive with the laptop.
February 8, 2006 2:25:55 AM

It turns out I am able to get the computer to print through (map network drive), but if I restart my computer the printer won't work. So I have to map it again. I would really like it if it will automatically save the settings So I don't have to configure it every time I log on.
February 8, 2006 1:09:54 PM

Hi,

Follow this guide and you should be fine: click me !
!