Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Build
  • Quadro
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
September 20, 2006 6:16:56 PM

HKEPC scoop

Well thats pretty exciting for me since I've struggled to wait on a C2D build. At this point I might as well suffer another month and a half and drop a quadro in my upcoming build. Woot !

And yes I do lots of editing/encoding and such so I can make use of the extra power so it'll rock more than just games for me.

Now if they could just get those dang C55 boards to market.......

More about : kenstfield coming november core quadro extreme

September 20, 2006 8:07:06 PM

I doubt they will do it before December or even January; as was the case with Core2 they're just putting the news on air before, to draw attention and then drag their feet another month or two. However, will be awsome, despite the pretty heavy pricing.
September 20, 2006 8:08:27 PM

WTF are you rambling on about?
Related resources
September 20, 2006 8:22:39 PM

8O :?: Just cool down :D  . They did it with Core2 and it's the same that AMD is doing with 4x4; common marketing tactics. They say they will have it on the shelves a bit earlier.
September 20, 2006 8:47:40 PM

Quote:
8O :?: Just cool down :D  . They did it with Core2 and it's the same that AMD is doing with 4x4; common marketing tactics. They say they will have it on the shelves a bit earlier.

I would agree, except that Kentsfield ES have been out and running around for months, even when Core 2 was released, Kentsfield ES results were just "leaking" out.

I would say that the 4X4 is in the same boat, but there hasn't been anything seen with a working 4X4 anywhere, that I know of. There have been static displays at conferences, but nothing showing the hardware.

I think "Quadro" will be released, limited quantity, around the mid/end of November, IMO.
September 21, 2006 1:31:37 AM

Agreed. Hell I've waited this long on conroe I might as well wait til right before christmas(I hope). If its early 2007 I suppose I can still survive. I'll just have more time to save $ and buy more "tweaks" when I do build. But I surely can't wait much longer than late Nov. and at the most early Jan. or I'll bust a gut. lol
September 21, 2006 3:57:58 AM

No offense, but you show look to see if there are other similar threads before posting links. In this case there are two other threads talking about Kentsfield's November launch date including my orignal one:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/News-Galore-Ken...

In any case, the only chip launching in November is the $999 Extreme Edition. Timing for the mainstream 2.4GHz Kentsfield will depend on how aggressive/impressive 4x4 is. The 2.4GHz Kentsfield is going to retail for over $500 though, probably in the same price point as the current E6700.
September 21, 2006 4:02:03 AM

I know that Intel has started to build and ship their Press Kit Kentsfield Demo systems on the Bad Axe 2 motherboard. Not sure when Intel will pull the NDA so all of the reviews will go live but I'm really looking forward to additional benchmarking scores from other sites to compliment the THG review.
September 21, 2006 4:09:46 AM

Personally, I'm more worried about Bad-Axe 2 being up to the task rather than Kentsfield. The i975X chipset is definitely getting long in the teeth and if Cloverton does launch with 1333MHz FSB models like it appears, then it'll definitely be the chipset holding Kentsfield back.
September 21, 2006 4:31:09 AM

I think you will be pleased with the changes that Intel is putting into the Bad Axe 2. The did a reroute of the FSB to improve margin. This directly translates into improved overclocking ability of the board. There is also an upgrade to the Memory supported. Some improved overclocking features in the Bios. New 2nd SATA controller and a few other odds and ends.

Not sure what ASUS, MSI and GigaByte are doing for the Kentsfield launch but I bet they will come out with something nice.

I'm interested in what Intel is going to show at IDF next week. I have been hearing some interesting rumors. :D 
September 21, 2006 4:47:51 AM

It would be nice for them to add DDR2 1067 support, but it'll probably just be official DDR2 800 support.

Yes, IDF will be interesting. It'll obviously be all about Kentsfield and Cloverton. Hopefully, they'll present more data on Tigerton and it's new quad FSB platform. Confirmation on whether Cloverton will have 1333MHz FSB models would also be nice. I doubt we'll see any Nehalem details, but we may see a 45nm demo. Probably Wolfsdale or Penryn. They probably won't let anyone touch it, just have it run PPT presentations like what they did to Kentsfield when Conroe had the official limelight.

ATI also mentions IDF on their home page as if to say they're still in the game. We'll probably see RD600, RS600, RC600, RV560, and RV570 demos as well as R600 details. Probably no product launches since they'll want their own event, but it'll be close enough. Some details on Mobility Radeon refreshes would also be nice like the MR X1450 and the MR X1700.

nVidia is supposed to have a nForce 590 refresh for Kentsfield to improve overclocking so we'll probably also see details at IDF. Hopefully some G80 details too.

I think I'm going to start a new threaded dedicated to IDF speculations.
September 21, 2006 4:57:29 AM

No offense taken. I was at work and honestly didn't have time to look through posts specifically for it. I usually keep up with the boards fairly well and not having seen yours thought maybe it had slipped through the cracks.

I realize as well its not completely new info but either way since it got a few posts maybe some hadn't seen that info yet so I think it served its purpose.

Thanks for the input tho.
September 21, 2006 4:58:54 AM

Well, from what I heard your guess on DDR2 800 support going official is on the mark. The issue about not having DDR2 800 support on the original Bad Axe was due to too much memory clock jitter from the MCH. From what I have heard the Bad Axe 2 is running extremely below the JEDEC DDR2 800 Memory specs.

As for 1067 I have not heard about official support but if the numbers are as good as I heard for DDR2 800 then I would not be suprised that they put unofficial support in for DDR2 1067.

Sounds like you are almost more interested in the new Server Processors and chipsets than the Desktop side. I have a hard enough time keeping the Desktop straight and following that than adding in the server side.

I'm also looking forward to the Bearlake-X chipset that will replace the 975 and of course the Bad Axe 2 motherboard. :) 

I also heard the rumor that Nvidia might be having problems with supporting the Kentsfield processor. Something about impedance of the chipset or motherboard.

I am also very interested in CSI and how much bandwidth they are going to have when it first comes out and how much they expect it to scale over time.

I also think that we will see offical 1333 processors and motherboards in the desktop in 2007 prior to the launch of the Bearlake motherboards.
September 21, 2006 5:06:14 AM

The thing about CSI is that it isn't coming until 2008 if it's coming to desktop at all. That means continued FSB development is critical. My biggest concern for the Bearlake-X chipset is that they also include working unofficial support for a 1600MHz FSB. 1333MHz FSBs are the max stock setting if you want to maintain good yields in dual die systems, but a single die solution should be able to get up to a 1600MHz stock especially with 45nm. When true 45nm quad cores arrive, they can certainly use a 1600Mhz FSB so Bearlake-X should be ready. The thing with i975X, it does have 1333MHz support but the setting doesn't really work as well since the latencies are relaxed. Besides, Bearlake-Xs prime feature of DDR3 1333 support isn't really useful on a 1333MHz FSB so more FSB room is definitely appreciated.
September 21, 2006 6:28:08 AM

Quote:
Agreed. Hell I've waited this long on conroe I might as well wait til right before christmas(I hope). If its early 2007 I suppose I can still survive. I'll just have more time to save $ and buy more "tweaks" when I do build. But I surely can't wait much longer than late Nov. and at the most early Jan. or I'll bust a gut. lol

Well, it's Kent'sfield and 4x4, after that the new AMD architecture in mid 2007, the new Intel CPUs in 2008... with this continuous flux there's little sense to wait for something coming next because there's always something mighty coming after it.
!