Canon iP4000 pros and cons

Well, I have just gone out and bought the Canon iP4000 after much
researching, and my initial judgement is that this is a printer which
produces good results. I have only printed out a couple of favourite
pictures to compare against outputs from my other printers in the past, and
when the printout was placed next to the photograph original, I could see no
difference. It surpassed the other printers too.

This printer provides duplex and borderless printing, which for me is a
first. The duplex feature is very welcome as I have had to replace the
paper in the tray to print the other sides of documents in the past - and
found it tedious. The borderless does as it says - fantastic pictures.
The printer also has a night mode whereby the mechanism is whisper quiet.
I could hardly hear it as it performed duplex printing.

The printer did come with a sample pack of 5 sheets of 6x4 photo paper. Okay
it's not a lot, but I remember in the old days when Epson used to enclose a
decent sample pack of around 15 sheets, but not these days. It was however a
nice touch to be able to print a sample print or five.

I do have a couple of niggles about the printer though. The size of the ink
cartridges are a little small considering the amount of available space
there still is inside the unit, and one can only jump to the conclusion that
it is intended to require constant ink replacements.

The other annoying little gripe I have is the clunking that goes on after I
have finished printing. I printed four sheets of A4 out, and then half a
minute later the mechanism started to whirr and clunk. I can only imagine
it's cleaning the head, but I sincerely hope it's not syphoning off the ink
each time or the cartridge will be empty before the weekend is out.

Overall, I am pleased with the printer so far, but it's only day two and it
still has to endure and pass the test of time.

Terry.
7 answers Last reply
More about canon ip4000 pros cons

    It may be that the limit to the size of the tanks is not the available
    space inside the printer but instead that the increased mass would
    strain the mechanisms and slow down the print speed.

    ngreplies wrote:

    > I do have a couple of niggles about the printer though. The size of the ink
    > cartridges are a little small considering the amount of available space
    > there still is inside the unit, and one can only jump to the conclusion that
    > it is intended to require constant ink replacements.

    > Terry.

    My ip5000 don't seem to be that noisy after printing, I must admit
    I've never even tried the night mode, the printer is quiet without it
    and indeed used in the early hours, for someone to complain they
    would have to be sleeping 'on' the printer.

    It does seem all printers could fit bigger tanks, as one post said
    extra weight would have to be carried which may or may not be
    significant.

    Howz about a printer with external tanks Messers Canon..... "now that
    would certainly please many".

    Davy

    In article ngreplies says...
    > Well, I have just gone out and bought the Canon iP4000 after much
    > researching,

    Leaving it until a printer has been replaced by the next model (iP4200)
    gives you plenty of time for reasearch :-)

    > I eagerly await that day...

    I believe CIS kits exist for Canon. They are not as popular as those
    for epson. But sure if you want to spend as much for the kit as the
    pritner if not more, it's an option.

    I eagerly await that day...

    "Davy" <davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > My ip5000 don't seem to be that noisy after printing, I must admit
    > I've never even tried the night mode, the printer is quiet without it
    > and indeed used in the early hours, for someone to complain they
    > would have to be sleeping 'on' the printer.
    >
    > It does seem all printers could fit bigger tanks, as one post said
    > extra weight would have to be carried which may or may not be
    > significant.
    >
    > Howz about a printer with external tanks Messers Canon..... "now that
    > would certainly please many".
    >
    > Davy

    In article zakezuke says...
    > > I eagerly await that day...
    >
    > I believe CIS kits exist for Canon. They are not as popular as those
    > for epson. But sure if you want to spend as much for the kit as the
    > pritner if not more, it's an option.

    Some CIS makers warn that there's a risk of blockages from "things"
    growing in the ink if you don't use the printer often enough to warrant
    a CIS system.

    colinco wrote:
    > In article zakezuke says...
    >
    >>>I eagerly await that day...
    >>
    >>I believe CIS kits exist for Canon. They are not as popular as those
    >>for epson. But sure if you want to spend as much for the kit as the
    >>pritner if not more, it's an option.
    >>

    > Some CIS makers warn that there's a risk of blockages from "things"
    > growing in the ink if you don't use the printer often enough to warrant
    > a CIS system.

    Obviously CIS's are made for high volume users. Low volume users need
    not apply.
    Frank

Printers Canon Peripherals