Sign in with
Your question

The 6800XT, why exactly is it bad?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 20, 2006 7:45:09 PM

Ok, I recently built a budget computer (around $650) a few months ago, and I got the 6800XT for a graphics card because it sounded good and the price was nice and cheap. I did do research before I bought it and almost all the newegg reviews were positive, and the gpu charts on TH showed that it preformed well enough for my standards. I havent had any problems with it, and I can play oblivion relatively well on high settings. the only time my comp bogs down too much is when more then 3 enemies attack me outside, which isnt a gpu problem. Other then that you can say im satisfied with it overall, its not that great but so far its hasnt been a problem. I dont do any overclocking, so thats not an issue for me as well.

My computer is

AMD X2 3800+
6800XT
Asus A8N5X
1gb corsair ram
WD 120gb 7200 rpm

Anyway my question is why is it so bad? Its the general consensus of the people here that its a terrible card, but i was wodering specifically why?

More about : 6800xt bad

September 20, 2006 10:38:48 PM

For it's price, you could do much better. While some aren't terrible (there are some with 256bit interfaces), they're ususally 8 pipe, 128bit interface slow core/memory speed peices of sh*t.
September 20, 2006 11:36:04 PM

One word:
Cripple.
Related resources
September 21, 2006 12:22:04 AM

It isn't bad. Only two years ago the 6800 was the best GPU you could buy and cost $600.

I believe the XT has 12/5 pipelines and can usually be upgraded to 16/6 pipelines with software. They come with 1000mhz DDR3 ram and have a 256 ram interface. These features are very similiar to the current Top Dog GPU's that everyone brags about.

The 6800XT is a terrific video card and should give you several more years of sterling service! :) 
September 21, 2006 12:27:13 AM

Quote:
It isn't bad. Only two years ago the 6800 was the best GPU you could buy and cost $600.

I believe the XT has 12/5 pipelines and can usually be upgraded to 16/6 pipelines with software. They come with 1000mhz DDR3 ram and have a 256 ram interface. These features are very similiar to the current Top Dog GPU's that everyone brags about.

The 6800XT is a terrific video card and should give you several more years of sterling service! :) 

No, I don't think so...

Quote:
For it's price, you could do much better. While some aren't terrible (there are some with 256bit interfaces), they're ususally 8 pipe, 128bit interface slow core/memory speed peices of sh*t.
September 21, 2006 1:08:43 AM

Quote:
No, two years ago the Geforce 6800Ultra and X800XT were the best cards out, each lightyears ahead of the 6800XT.
September 21, 2006 1:39:02 AM

Quote:

I doesn't mean anything. It was the 6800Ultra, which kills the XT, since nVidia crippled the 6800 into crap like 6800XT. As good as 6600GT.

Quote:
I believe the XT has 12/5 pipelines and can usually be upgraded to 16/6 pipelines with software. They come with 1000mhz DDR3 ram and have a 256 ram interface.

Only 8 pipelines, and in some cases 256-bit interface, mostly 128-bit.

Quote:
These features are very similiar to the current Top Dog GPU's that everyone brags about.

Doesn't even come close.

Quote:

Well, it can't run current games maxed out, so I can't agree it's terrific card. :wink:
September 21, 2006 2:22:53 AM

Had one, It sucked alot compared to what I'm currently using. For the price that it is now you can get far better.
September 21, 2006 2:29:26 AM

i had a 6800 ultra, it was hot
September 21, 2006 2:35:16 AM

Quote:

what others then? i wouldnt be opposed to upgrading as long as its reasonable

also i still dont really see whats terrible about it (except 8 pipelines) that makes it worse then say the 6600GT

but thanks for the responses so far :) 
September 21, 2006 3:14:57 AM

Quote:

what others then? i wouldnt be opposed to upgrading as long as its reasonable

also i still dont really see whats terrible about it (except 8 pipelines) that makes it worse then say the 6600GT

but thanks for the responses so far :) 

Well I actually own the 6800XT although Im not using it anymore (Im using a 76GT) But anyway, Its not a "terrible" card, but there are better choices out there, for example, I bought the 6800XT for like $130 from newegg a couple months back,(Had a 10 dollar rebate) I couldve easily spend 10-20 more bucks and get a X850XT for a superb performance for the price. But I remember FEAR really kicked the 6800XT's @$$. The main reason why I upgraded to a 7600GT only a couple of months after which I felt stupid buying the 6800XT. Now I'd be lucky to sell it for $50 bucks ( I would too).

The real problem of the 6800XT is that its a card that has been reduced to...well..to not much.....it's pretty much a shell of a great series of cards.

P.S: I did manage to unlock the XT, but It actually performed worse when unlocked; Obvious why Nvidia locks it & sells it as an XT instead of a GT.

BTW If your shopping Nvidia stay away from the XT's unless your on a budget. Usually the GT's arent far ahead in price but much further ahead in perfomance.
September 21, 2006 3:22:35 AM

It isn't so bad, IF you manage to unlock it. There are many different models, all with different bus widths, clock speeds, and memory configurations, but if you happen to get the right one, and it doesn't have any defective pipes, you can get a decently mean card out of one of them.

I happened to get ahold of a 6800XT AGP with a 256-bit bus and 512MB of DDR3. I unlocked the remaining pipes with Rivatuner from 8pp, 4vp to 16pp, 6vp without any problems and a significant boost in my 3DMARK score. I managed a 15% overclock on the GPU and a 19% overclock on the memory. This thing really does the job now. I could probably get more out of it (if I can get past the internal test issue) since I replaced the fan/heatsink with an NV cooler and it rarely reaches beyond 47C. It's just unfortunate that the MPEG 4 decoding abilities are disabled in the NV40 series AGP cards.

All-in-all, for $119 for the card and $15 for the fan/heatsink, I'm pretty happy with it.
September 21, 2006 3:59:01 AM

Quote:
It isn't so bad, IF you manage to unlock it. There are many different models, all with different bus widths, clock speeds, and memory configurations, but if you happen to get the right one, and it doesn't have any defective pipes, you can get a decently mean card out of one of them.

I happened to get ahold of a 6800XT AGP with a 256-bit bus and 512MB of DDR3. I unlocked the remaining pipes with Rivatuner from 8pp, 4vp to 16pp, 6vp without any problems and a significant boost in my 3DMARK score. I managed a 15% overclock on the GPU and a 19% overclock on the memory. This thing really does the job now. I could probably get more out of it (if I can get past the internal test issue) since I replaced the fan/heatsink with an NV cooler and it rarely reaches beyond 47C. It's just unfortunate that the MPEG 4 decoding abilities are disabled in the NV40 series AGP cards.

All-in-all, for $119 for the card and $15 for the fan/heatsink, I'm pretty happy with it.

I have the XFX version... which i think is the crapped out one
September 21, 2006 4:20:44 AM

Quote:
One word:
Cripple.

riiiiiiiiight!

i love your picture man..nice work
September 21, 2006 10:44:11 AM

Quote:

Same amount of pipelines, lower clock speeds. More often that not, it'll perform worse.
September 21, 2006 12:01:18 PM

It's probably so confusing for many customers that new ATI high-end cards are XT and midrange GT, whereas it's the opposite for nVIDIA cards.
September 21, 2006 7:21:43 PM

Marketing.
September 21, 2006 7:28:47 PM

i as looking for nvidia all along, so it was less that then the fact that there was a lack of info on the XT. toms really had nothing, and all the newegg reviews were positive. Without knowing that the card is a crapped out version of the 6800, I thought it was good becasue the 6800 is good, and therefore i thought it couldnt really be that much worse...
September 21, 2006 11:07:16 PM

Quote:
i as looking for nvidia all along, so it was less that then the fact that there was a lack of info on the XT. toms really had nothing, and all the newegg reviews were positive. Without knowing that the card is a crapped out version of the 6800, I thought it was good becasue the 6800 is good, and therefore i thought it couldnt really be that much worse...

Dont sweat it man, there are worse cards out there, but I guess were just making the mistake of compairing it with the top of the line cards. The 6800XT is what it is, a budget card on a budget PC which is pretty damn good by the way, its a good card man, that thing rocked when i had it in my computer, as long as you dont max out your settings or play at 1600x1200 (like I did) you should be fine.

P.S: If you want another one to SLi with, PM me. Right now its just in a box doing nothing in my house, my daughter could care less what she has on her comp as long as she can chat with her friends, only reason why I havent installed it on her PC.
September 21, 2006 11:28:07 PM

One word: C-R-I-P-P-L-E-D

Quote:
It's probably so confusing for many customers that new ATI high-end cards are XT and midrange GT, whereas it's the opposite for nVIDIA cards.

ATI/nV do this on purpose, so that they can unload the chips that won't run at the rated speed or have damaged pipelines. They do it to trick the consumer; it's purely marketing.
September 22, 2006 2:18:03 AM

Quote:
One word: C-R-I-P-P-L-E-D

ATI/nV do this on purpose, so that they can unload the chips that won't run at the rated speed or have damaged pipelines. They do it to trick the consumer; it's purely marketing.

truthfully, i dont think thats the trickiest part, its easy enough to understand. i think they trick you with making a higher number worse then a lower number, i.e my 6800XT being worse? then a 6600GT...
September 22, 2006 3:22:47 AM

If you haven't bought iit yet you should =) My wife and I each have one and they are great.
September 22, 2006 4:23:06 AM

Quote:
If you haven't bought iit yet you should =) My wife and I each have one and they are great.

8O whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttt..... 8O ....there are two of them......nooooooooooooooooooo
September 22, 2006 5:32:04 AM

LOL
September 22, 2006 10:49:59 AM

Quote:
truthfully, i dont think thats the trickiest part, its easy enough to understand. i think they trick you with making a higher number worse then a lower number, i.e my 6800XT being worse? then a 6600GT...

Yes, because people would think a 6800 would be automatically better than a 6600.
September 22, 2006 12:03:40 PM

Quote:
i had a 6800 ultra, it was hot

Ultra and XT are 2 different animals
September 22, 2006 12:06:38 PM

Quote:

Yes, because people would think a 6800 would be automatically better than a 6600.My one silly friend ignored my advice and took a crappy 6200 over a 5900. There is just no hope for him. He's not a hardcore gamer but likes to lan with us sometimes and he needed an upgrade from his 5200.
September 22, 2006 1:07:02 PM

It boils down to one thing, what games do you play? If you are going to play Oblivion on 16x12, then yeah, the 6800XT is a bad card.

If you don't play the latest and greatest games at high resolution then your 6800XT will probably be fine.

The comment stating that the 6800XT's are a great card kind of gave me a chuckle. I upgraded to a 6600GT AGP last year from a MX400 PCI. Comparing these 2 cards, yeah, the 6600GT blew the MX400 out-of-the-water. Now-a-days, the 6600GT isn't even bothered being in benchmarks.

You said you were planning on upgrading. Here's several options depending on how much you want to spend based on 6800XT Review MidRange Roundup High-End / Mid-Range Benches

I wouldn't bother getting anything less than a 7600GT as the money you'd spend wouldn't benefit you more than what you currently have.

BS: $120 - BFG 7600GT
MS: $240 - Sapphire X1900XT - 256MB
PhD: $284 after MIR - MSI X1900XTX

Post-doc: If it wasn't for the rebate, I'd go with ATI's current top-of-the-line X1950XTX, which this card is already Xfire ready or NVidia's top-of-the-line XFX 7950GX2 depending on what games you want to play. I picked the most expensive 7950GX2 as it is the highest clocked one and if you are going to spend 500 bucks on a video card, what the heck is another 50 bucks.

Here's more good opinions.
September 22, 2006 1:52:40 PM

I agree with most here.

The 6800XT is not crap - its just labeled poorly and priced incorrectly.

Instead of calling it a 6800 XT perhaps 6550 GT would have been more truthful as people have said and benchmarks have indicated the 6600 GT is better overall.

If they called it a 6550 GT - I bet no one here would call it trash.
They would see it for what it really is. a mid range version in the 6xxx series. But by calling it a 6800 __ people expect 6800 performance levels and this card is a disapointment as labeled.

Now a days you have card lines with the following... let me know if I miss any.

LE, XT, (no idicator), GT, GS, Ultra

LE = Low End
XT = eXtrem Trash

no idicator = base model

GT = slightly better then base model
GS = new technology version of base model (usually), usually comparable to the GT or Base model and at sweet price points.

Ultra = rare, but these are the GEMS that outperform the rated GT specs and so nvidia can get more $$ out of them.

And then it gets more complicated because of memory width.

64, 128, 256... (512?) and there is no consistancy.

And finally you got total RAM.

64MB (rare now except on very low end cards), 128MB, 256MB, 384MB (very rare but I have seen them), 512MB (not rare any more), and 1GB (somewhat rare but you will see tons more soon)

You can find an XT with a 256bit interface and 256MB RAM.
and even from the same manufacturer you can find an XT with a 128bit interface and any given amount of RAM.

People look and see 6800XT - they pay little attention (ie. they don't understand XT is the lowend version of that sub-series).

You also have to take into account the base clock speeds (memory, core gpu, pixel shader, etc.) and how it compares to the nvidia reference card.

Alot of manufactures will offer cards that are overclocked and give them a secondary two or more letter extension such as OC or KO.

Basically an overclocked version of the same card, with a factory warranty and a small price premium...

W007 I got myself a

nvida ASCII 6800XT OC 512MB 128bit POS!!!

(actually i'm jealous as I have an activly cooled nVidia ASUS 5200 128MB/128bit card that overclocks and runs stable at 5500 speeds)

Now that I think about this... Toyota does the same thing with the corrola -- or at least they used to.

CE, VE, base, SE, LE, etc.

Bunch of confusing crap if you ask me personally.
-Jeff
September 22, 2006 2:17:57 PM

Quote:
I agree with most here.

Instead of calling it a 6800 XT perhaps 6550 GT would have been more truthful as people have said and benchmarks have indicated the 6600 GT is better overall.

They would see it for what it really is. a mid range version in the 6xxx series. But by calling it a 6800 __ people expect 6800 performance levels and this card is a disapointment as labeled.

LE = Low End
XT = eXtrem Trash

no idicator = base model

GS = new technology version of base model (usually), usually comparable to the GT or Base model and at sweet price points.

Ultra = rare, but these are the GEMS that outperform the rated GT specs and so nvidia can get more $$ out of them.

64MB (rare now except on very low end cards), 128MB, 256MB, 384MB (very rare but I have seen them), 512MB (not rare any more), and 1GB (somewhat rare but you will see tons more soon)

and even from the same manufacturer you can find an XT with a 128bit interface and any given amount of RAM.

People look and see 6800XT - they pay little attention (ie. they don't understand XT is the lowend version of that sub-series).

You also have to take into account the base clock speeds (memory, core gpu, pixel shader, etc.) and how it compares to the nvidia reference card.

Alot of manufactures will offer cards that are overclocked and give them a secondary two or more letter extension such as OC or KO.

Basically an overclocked version of the same card, with a factory warranty and a small price premium...

W007 I got myself a

(actually i'm jealous as I have an activly cooled nVidia ASUS 5200 128MB/128bit card that overclocks and runs stable at 5500 speeds)

Now that I think about this... Toyota does the same thing with the corrola -- or at least they used to.

-Jeff

Although this cant be said on the ATI as they are labeled differently.
And you forgot to mention the GTX which has taken over the Ultra Label :D  at least for now.
September 22, 2006 2:24:13 PM

ah yes GTX ~= Ultra

;-) I tried :-P

But do you agree that instead of calling it a 6800 XT that perhaps 6550 GT would have been more realistic?

-Jeff
September 22, 2006 3:20:16 PM

Quote:
ah yes GTX ~= Ultra

;-) I tried :-P

But do you agree that instead of calling it a 6800 XT that perhaps 6550 GT would have been more realistic?

-Jeff

O yeah, naming it a 68 defenetly gives u false hope. Even a 6600LE wouldve been more appropiate.
September 23, 2006 8:49:48 PM

I like grapes.
-cm
September 25, 2006 2:45:38 AM

Quote:
It boils down to one thing, what games do you play? If you are going to play Oblivion on 16x12, then yeah, the 6800XT is a bad card.

If you don't play the latest and greatest games at high resolution then your 6800XT will probably be fine.

The comment stating that the 6800XT's are a great card kind of gave me a chuckle. I upgraded to a 6600GT AGP last year from a MX400 PCI. Comparing these 2 cards, yeah, the 6600GT blew the MX400 out-of-the-water. Now-a-days, the 6600GT isn't even bothered being in benchmarks.

You said you were planning on upgrading. Here's several options depending on how much you want to spend based on 6800XT Review MidRange Roundup High-End / Mid-Range Benches

I wouldn't bother getting anything less than a 7600GT as the money you'd spend wouldn't benefit you more than what you currently have.

Post-doc: If it wasn't for the rebate, I'd go with ATI's current top-of-the-line X1950XTX, which this card is already Xfire ready or NVidia's top-of-the-line XFX 7950GX2 depending on what games you want to play. I picked the most expensive 7950GX2 as it is the highest clocked one and if you are going to spend 500 bucks on a video card, what the heck is another 50 bucks.

I said i can allready play oblivion on high, so thats not a problem :) 
September 25, 2006 2:46:00 AM

Quote:
I agree with most here.

LE = Low End
XT = eXtrem Trash

no idicator = base model

W007 I got myself a

-Jeff

agreed! :trophy:
September 25, 2006 3:19:49 AM

6800 is not that bad of a card. i personally have a ati 9600 my self. i did buy a x1900xt, but thats for a new system that doesnt have all parts. the card got good reviews because it isnt bad. your question has to do with why people on this forum think its shit. that is because most of the people on this forum are only concerned with the best, and latest out there. anything less then the top couple cards and people call it shit. dont worry about going wrong with your purchase, if your not madly concerned about maxing everything out with 80 fps then your will do fine. with my 9600 i ran prey demo, and probably got like 5-15 frames on really low settings. but i didnt care, the game was awsome. just because people on this forum may or may not have higher expectations then you doesnt mean you should be unhappy with your purchase.
September 27, 2006 12:50:41 AM

also agreed! :) 
September 27, 2006 11:46:39 PM

Quote:
6800 is not that bad of a card. i personally have a ati 9600 my self. i did buy a x1900xt, but thats for a new system that doesnt have all parts. the card got good reviews because it isnt bad. your question has to do with why people on this forum think its ****. that is because most of the people on this forum are only concerned with the best, and latest out there. anything less then the top couple cards and people call it ****. dont worry about going wrong with your purchase, if your not madly concerned about maxing everything out with 80 fps then your will do fine. with my 9600 i ran prey demo, and probably got like 5-15 frames on really low settings. but i didnt care, the game was awsome. just because people on this forum may or may not have higher expectations then you doesnt mean you should be unhappy with your purchase.

We don't call it crap because it's not the latest and greatest. We call it crap because it is crap with the 6800 name on it. For it's price, you could get a much better card.
September 28, 2006 1:35:40 AM

Quote:
6800 is not that bad of a card. i personally have a ati 9600 my self. i did buy a x1900xt, but thats for a new system that doesnt have all parts. the card got good reviews because it isnt bad. your question has to do with why people on this forum think its ****. that is because most of the people on this forum are only concerned with the best, and latest out there. anything less then the top couple cards and people call it ****. dont worry about going wrong with your purchase, if your not madly concerned about maxing everything out with 80 fps then your will do fine. with my 9600 i ran prey demo, and probably got like 5-15 frames on really low settings. but i didnt care, the game was awsome. just because people on this forum may or may not have higher expectations then you doesnt mean you should be unhappy with your purchase.

I didn't say 6800 is crap, I said 6800XT is crap. Plain 6800s, 6800GTs, 6800Ultras are still pretty good cards for their age. But the 6800XT is plain crap.
September 28, 2006 2:02:45 AM

Quote:

I find that hard to beleive, unless you're playing at 640x480.
September 28, 2006 2:23:17 AM

Quote:

nope i play it on 1024X768 and it works fine. and i really dont have to scale back any of the options except grass just a bit, but everything else is set on default for high.
September 28, 2006 2:39:36 AM

Quote:

nope i play it on 1024X768 and it works fine. and i really dont have to scale back any of the options except grass just a bit, but everything else is set on default for high.

Download FRAPS, run it, and see how many FPS you get.
September 28, 2006 10:37:10 AM

Is it possible to get a negative (-) FPS? 8O
September 29, 2006 2:19:45 AM

Quote:

Download FRAPS, run it, and see how many FPS you get.

around 15-18 outside, and 22-27 inside usually, and dont be like"omfg thats shiet yo!11!!!!!11!1!!" it works fine and is completley playable, so i dont care.
September 29, 2006 3:37:31 AM

Quote:

no. 0 is the end all. unless you consider your system crashing from the games ownage to be negative fps.
September 29, 2006 3:55:51 PM

Quote:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
!