question about ddr options

tommythefreakingcat

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
Hello,
I have an Epox 8RDA3+
I currently have a pair of matched corasir XMS 512 pc3200 sticks in it, but am looking to replace them with a 2 gb kit.

I have been thinking about installing PC 3500, 4000 or 4400 sticks in it instead of the 3200, in hopes of gaining a bit more FSB overclocking headroom while being able to maintain tight timings. Is this possible? Can I install say Corsair TWINX2048-4000PT on my mobo? And if I do, can I expect to be able to push my FSB further with tight timings than if I get 2 gigs of pc3200?

I assume this will work as long as I stick with 184 pin DDR, but wanted to hear some opinions on the matter.

I would like to overclock my CPU a bit more but think my current ram is limiting the speeds I can hit without losing stability. (Unfortunately my MOBO only has limited options for adjusting the RAM bus to FSB ration (83%, being the first step down, which limits my ability to push the FSB without having to run the ram at less than 200 Mhz)

Any thoughts, feedback, insight etc. will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

tommythefreakingcat

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
Well, I guess I should have read the faq's on these forums before posting...sorry

"Q: Can I use DDR-400 in a DDR-266 system?
A: DDR-400 modules are capable of running at slower speeds i.e. DDR-333 or DDR-266.
"

I would still be interested in hearing feedback on what I am looking to do, if anyone has any.