xp pirate

wondering about xp. when i installed it the first time i learned that
microsoft had taken a big step against pirating. i had to activate my
edition, if not it would stop running in about 30 days. but now i learned
from friend who run pirate editions of xp and they say they have no problem
running it. ok when activating u send your serial nr to to microsoft, and
they only permit one user. but people i know use the same pirate.

they may be cracked

"valentino" wrote:

> wondering about xp. when i installed it the first time i learned that
> microsoft had taken a big step against pirating. i had to activate my
> edition, if not it would stop running in about 30 days. but now i learned
> from friend who run pirate editions of xp and they say they have no problem
> running it. ok when activating u send your serial nr to to microsoft, and
> they only permit one user. but people i know use the same pirate.

Your serial number is neither required nor used nor is any other personally
identifying information used in activation. A hash is created based on your
system hardware and that is what is sent in activation. As you change
hardware the hash, a series of numbers, changes accordingly. There is a
threshold beyond which, depending upon the number of hardware changes
wherein a user will receive a message to call the activation center.

This is often triggered when users purchase a new computer or build a new
computer and install their retail version of XP on that system. It usually
amounts to nothing more than explaining the situation to the activation
center and informing them XP has been removed from the old system and has
been installed on the new system.

That pirates are most likely using cracked versions as the response in this
thread indicates, meaning they most likely are entering a pirated CD key for
a version that doesn't require or trigger activation. The people you know,
may be using the same CD key but they likely are not activating and if they
are not legal they will have trouble getting OS updates as well. For
example, SP1 and SP2 cannot be installed on such systems.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"valentino" <valentino@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> wondering about xp. when i installed it the first time i learned that
> microsoft had taken a big step against pirating. i had to activate my
> edition, if not it would stop running in about 30 days. but now i learned
> from friend who run pirate editions of xp and they say they have no
> problem
> running it. ok when activating u send your serial nr to to microsoft, and
> they only permit one user. but people i know use the same pirate.

It's illegal.

Would you rob a 7-11 even if you knew you wouldn't get
caught ? Of course not, it's WRONG !

How would you feel if you developed a piece of software and began to market
it...and then learned that it was being pirated?

Do you trust your own security to a pirated version of windows?

Do you also believe in the tooth fairy?

Bobby

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 15:43:02 -0800, valentino wrote:

> wondering about xp. when i installed it the first time i learned that
> microsoft had taken a big step against pirating. i had to activate my
> edition, if not it would stop running in about 30 days. but now i learned
> from friend who run pirate editions of xp and they say they have no problem
> running it. ok when activating u send your serial nr to to microsoft, and
> they only permit one user. but people i know use the same pirate.

"Don't worry about what other people do, worry about yourself." - My Mother
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

peter

"but they got it for free..why cant I??" my son
peter
> On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 15:43:02 -0800, valentino wrote:
>
>> wondering about xp. when i installed it the first time i learned that
>> microsoft had taken a big step against pirating. i had to activate my
>> edition, if not it would stop running in about 30 days. but now i learned
>> from friend who run pirate editions of xp and they say they have no problem
>> running it. ok when activating u send your serial nr to to microsoft, and
>> they only permit one user. but people i know use the same pirate.
>
> "Don't worry about what other people do, worry about yourself." - My Mother
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Then hopefully you will be a parent and tell him why...

Bobby

"peter" <peter@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
> "but they got it for free..why cant I??" my son
> peter
> "Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 15:43:02 -0800, valentino wrote:
>>
>>> wondering about xp. when i installed it the first time i learned that
>>> microsoft had taken a big step against pirating. i had to activate my
>>> edition, if not it would stop running in about 30 days. but now i
>>> learned
>>> from friend who run pirate editions of xp and they say they have no
>>> problem
>>> running it. ok when activating u send your serial nr to to microsoft,
>>> and
>>> they only permit one user. but people i know use the same pirate.
>>
>> "Don't worry about what other people do, worry about yourself." - My
>> Mother
>> --
>> Sharon F
>> MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

peter

Yes I tell him...no no bad dog
peter

"NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
> Then hopefully you will be a parent and tell him why...

If you are going to use pirated software at least don't come on here talking
about it.

Sharon F wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 15:43:02 -0800, valentino wrote:
>
>> wondering about xp. when i installed it the first time i learned that
>> microsoft had taken a big step against pirating. i had to activate my
>> edition, if not it would stop running in about 30 days. but now i
>> learned from friend who run pirate editions of xp and they say they
>> have no problem running it. ok when activating u send your serial nr
>> to to microsoft, and they only permit one user. but people i know
>> use the same pirate.
>
> "Don't worry about what other people do, worry about yourself." - My
> Mother

Don't you just /love/ Mum logic? You must have seen that article "20 Things
My Mother Taught Me..." Trouble is, it's *TRUE!*
lose his marbles?