Quick cooling question for e6600

HotStuff88

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Hello all my brother and i are building a computer for games and school and have some questions on cooling. The E6600 will be overclocked so i will need some better cooling. Now at first i was looking at the Zalman CNPS9500 but i heard some problems about it not sitting flush with the cpu. What other choices will perform good? Now is it better for the fan on the heatskink to be blowing outward like the Zalmans or Blowing right down on the cpu like the Artic Cooler Freezer 7 pro or the Thermatake big typhoon. I was also looking at this fan here. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835220012

i has great air flow.

Any suggestions would be great thanks a lot :D :D

HotStuff88

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Jesus people dont all answer at once. lol :lol:

Someone has got to be able to answer this. I dont think its that hard

Thanks a lot

FLA94FD

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Zalman CNPS9500 and Scythe Ninja are the two best air cooler on the market. I suspect that feedback on the Zaleman was because of a defective unit or someone who applied the the thermal compound improperly. I hear that the Ninja is a pain in the butt to install on a Intel setup. Both have shown to be better cooler than some liquid solutions.

Airflow should be directed away from the CPU the metal transfers the heat to larger surface area where the fan can move it away from the CPU.

arrowman

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Zalman CNPS9500 is an average performing, overpriced HSF that does no better than the $30 AC Freezer 7 Pro.

I'll agree on the overpriced remark...
I've owned both coolers, so feel qualified to comment.

The Zalman's only advantages over the AC7 Pro are more copper and its mounting system.

The retention bracket on the AC7 sure does appear to be more likely to tilt off the die in the y-axis. Can't change its direction without making its fan blow up or down instead of out the back of the case...

Zalman doesn't have this problem. You can choose which axis to mount the clip. I get much more stable pressure with its bolt-down system vs the AC7.

My idle temps are the same with both coolers, 35C in a 26C room. My temps with at 100% load for an hour are 48C for the Zalman and 50 for the AC7. That temp range was good only for the first week after mounting the AC7, after which the temps rose daily. I believe due to gravity. I remounted the AC7, and it was normal, for a week, then temps rose again. Retry, same result... I blame the mount/clips. If I could bolt it down, I'm sure I would never have changed it out for the Zalman.

Frankly, I think the performance is dead-even... The only advantage to the Zalman is a more stable, consistent mount. Is it worth the $30 difference? Maybe. To me it has been, as I'm no longer using up AS5 as a rediculous rate or remounting HSF's biweekly.

Anyone in PA wanna buy a lightly used AC7 Pro?

rupert86

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
OMG I've been seeing the other thread and this one too. And people are going on raging about this HSF and that one. Making such a issue. My experience: All these things are needed under extreme OCing.

I personally have been OCing AMD K7, PIII, and Pentium 4 Northwood (in this case usually 2.0 to 2.61GHz etc.) CPUs and never has a specimen died on me.

The thing to note is that the stock (or boxed) cooler is also a very good one and does its work (since the CPU shouldn't overheat - overheat means overheat and crash) even when you overclock around 400-500MHz. And also with slight over-volting no problems do appear. If problems do appear you can just install an additional exhaust fan (which usually comes with the casing) and in many cases my machines even didn't have this exhaust fan (no overvolting here), only the PSU fan worked. [Yes notable here is that temp variation here over the year is 12 degrees Celcius to around 43 deg., and the OCed machines me and my friends used to play games (FPSes and NFS) for 6-10 hours (midrange GPUs), means I want to clarify it to people who'll jump in with 'how is it possible', that I didn't perform about 24h 100% load burn-test.]

Now this doesn't mean that overclocking is all roses. You have to invest something to get a result. However slight OCing (as mentioned above 400-500MHz) alongside very slight overvolting doesn't need a special cooler.

IMO the boxed is VERY efficient for what it costs you: its FREE. Why spend on something you don't even know you need? I tell you one thing: It seems to me you're both upgrading and overclocking after a long time. When you'll see the new PC, it'll be so fast you'll put off OCing it until it get a bit 'slower'.

MY ADVICE: Since you're NOT into extreme overclocking, don't invest into a cooler right now. I understand you're a student, so either save the money or buy some other thing you desperately need. ONLY think about buying an aftermarket cooler when you try and OCing fails (by way of which you'll first OC to the max possible, where it'll start to crash, then overvolt it etc.) That time, you'll find more options and better products alongside better prices.

HotStuff88

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Well i have narrowed it down between the Zalman and the AC7. A local computer shop has them priced at only a 7 dollar difference so i guess i'll just pick either one up.

FLA94FD

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Zalman CNPS9500 is an average performing, overpriced HSF that does no better than the $30 AC Freezer 7 Pro.

Care to back that up with some facts, cus I can back up my statement with real independent data from multiple sources.

arrowman

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
US$30, that's a lot of booze! [/hippie]

True dat!

I just wish I'd gone with a bolt-down HSF from the start.. Wouldn't have saved any $$$ for the beer-budget, but would have saved almost 5 hours of valuable drinking time instead of remounting my AC7 Pro.

Oh, it's seriously for sale if anyone wants it... Will trade for a 2 4-packs of Guiness Draught cans.