New Gaming System Config - Help Needed Please

Hi there,

It's been a while since I put together a gaming system..used to do it all the time. After some real research and time this is what I've come up with for a gaming rig for myself that I intend to buy as soon as I get an “OK” for hardware compatibility and anything else I should be aware of. All opinions are welcomed. Thanks.

I'm thinking about buying a 2nd GeForce 7900 video card later and going SLi...but that's for later and I believe I've got the power and motherboard requirements built into my config for it.

ASUS P5N32-SLI SE DELUXE CONROE NVI NF4 SLI DDR2 PCIEX16

INTEL Conroe E6700 2.67GHz FSB1066MHz 4MB LGA775 Dual-Core

BFG Tech GeForce 7900 GTX OC 670Mhz 512MB 256-bit 2 Dual-Link DVI HDTV

ThermalTake PUREPOWER 600W ATX 2.2EPS + PFC

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 160 GB SATA-300 - 7200 rpm - 8 MB

OCZ 1G (2 x 512M) PC2-6400 Special Ops Edition x 2 = 2GB Total

LG Combo DVD CD-RW 52x32x52x16 Black IDE 2MB 120 110ms

Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 24bit 7.1
4 answers Last reply
More about gaming system config needed please
  1. Looks good dude EXCEPT I think I should do the right thing and ask that you be wary of your hard drive choice don't get me wrong I've got and am using several maxtor diamondmax 10's but I've also had to RMA 3 of the things a couple of months back and whilst the replacments have been ok so far I would'nt buy another one anytime soon however at the time of RMAing the last one Seagate were in the process of taking over Maxtor but the experiance of 3 in a row just left a sour taste in the back of my wallet, sorry for the downer bud but I had to get that off my tits.
  2. Hmmmmm Raptor 10,000 rpm, ooohh nursie I think I've had a trouser accident :oops: :oops:
  3. Cool! Thanks so much for your replies and thoughts. Had no idea about the HDD failing like that....I'll switch it out for sure.

I think I went with 4x512 MB instead of 2 x 1GB dimms because it was cheaper.....even though it meant maxing out the dimm slots. I'll check prices again though. Thanks for the help guys! I appreaciate it.
  4. Quote:
    Hi there,

I'm thinking about buying a 2nd GeForce 7900 video card later and going SLi...but that's for later and I believe I've got the power and motherboard requirements built into my config for it.

NO NO NO NO and well NO. SLI is a horrible upgrade path, and even more so now with DirectX 10 on the horizon. If you cannot complete your SLI setup within 60 days DO NOT GO SLI. It is a waste of money, power, and does not improve things that up unless you are a very high end.

Right now ATI is the leader, the X1900XT walks all over the 7900s. Look at the X1900XT 256 for $230 and spend your money with DX10 comes out.

Don't fall for the SLI marketing trap, its a deep black hole.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Gaming Systems