Where is the price/performance comparison to that intel???

cugine

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
In the beginning of the article there is a url linked to "nice price/performance ratio compared to that intel." I thought that would take me to another article comparing the price/performance of intel and instead it takes me to an image gallery of the "Socket AM2 Motherboard Summer Slam Asus M2 Crosshair "

Whats the deal? I want to know what performs better for games the am2 or the core duo? Did I miss an article somehwere?

Thanks,
cugine

AddictiveHerring

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
If you aren't overclock-tarded than the new c2d chips offer very strong price/performance. The mobo and chip prices have settled a lot recently.

However for those not interested in overclocking at all, the AMD X2 lineup offers amazing chips at amazing prices. Also the motherboards are very full featured as the Toms article about AM2 mobos just reported.

However when you consider the fact that an E6300 for less than $200 clocked to 1:1 with a 2 gig DDR II 800 kit will eat an fx 62 for breakfast.

But let's face it unless you are running sli or a very high end board, most X2's will unleash it's power quite well. You probably don't need an Fx 62, but if you could have one for 200? I don't know it's up to you

AddictiveHerring

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
"However for those not interested in overclocking at all, the AMD X2 lineup offers amazing chips at amazing prices. Also the motherboards are very full featured as the Toms article about AM2 mobos just reported. "

I didn't mean to come off as much of a fanboi, I only recently started leaning toward Intel. Maybe I just used too many adjectives, I guess I am just excited that I wanted an Fx 60 so bad a few months ago, and now I have a much better proc, for about 260 buck.

What I was trying to say: is this, If you are willing to overclock C2d will be your best bet in terms of price performance.

If you are going to run stock, I would suggest X2's because the recent price slashing has put them in the price / performance sweet spot.

unless you are planning on using it as a media machine, not a gaming machine because intel traditionally does better with things like encoding etc.