URGENT - Retention brackets

flametank

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
so I bought a Sycthe Infinity heatsink and two days after installing it, it broke my retention bracker on amy am2 motherboard. This is the only replacement I could find:

http://www.xoxide.com/thermalright-am2-bracket-rev2.html

will it work with the Sycthe or even the stock cooler? I don't have a computer now, I'm using my friends. So I need to know if it will work before I pay for overnight or 2 day shipping. Thanks

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Glad you found one that worked. But your "online student" post made me think of something funny (and expensive) that happened. I am in college and a friend of mine was taking two regular classes and two online from a different school. He had both finals for his regular classes in the same day and the two the next day online at set times, in the afternoon.

Of course he had a big party at his house, which involved alcohol as you may have guessed. This is where it gets interesting though. A couple guys thought it was a good idea to roll a bowling ball they found at a garage sale with a "free" sign on it, around the house. They proceeded to hit a keg with it, which slid backwards into the corner of the house and fell through the floor into their basement (old house, many college students lived their through the years.) It basically smashed his laptop and beer sprayed everywhere. Clearly his laptop was not functioning in the morning, and his roomate's desktop PC was looking like a good choice, until they both noticed that beer had dripped in through his top blowhole in his case. Rendering that PC too dangerous to turn on, he went to get in his car to drive over to my dorm and use my PC and found he was parked into his driveway, no way to get out. The cars that were there were owned by people that had gotten taxi rides or others to bring them home that night.

He ended up running about 6 miles to my dorm, not knowing anyone around to be able to use their computer.

It was a pretty funny chain of events to witness.

Sorry to make a long, pointless, irrelevent and boring post, but it was pretty funny when it happened.

flametank

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
That was a funny story. I had to drive 20 minutes to a friend's house because we live in the middle of nowhere to use a computer last night. So I sort of know what your friend went through.