Sign in with
Your question

Dumb Question please help

Last response: in CPUs
September 20, 2006 10:29:23 PM

Ok i just bought a new e6400 and a GA-965P-DS3 motherboard. Now this is sorta a dumb question for most of you but im installing the processor and i got it in its little cage but then it wants me to close the cage thing and it feels like its gunna need some force for it to close. Like a good amount of force to close the little cage. Is that what is supposed to happen or did i do something wrong?

Thanks

More about : dumb question

September 20, 2006 11:14:39 PM

are u sure its in the right position?
Related resources
September 20, 2006 11:34:38 PM

how does a 12yr old install a cpu?
September 20, 2006 11:48:04 PM

Quote:
Yes, it goes in hard.

Also, make sure you align the processor correctly.

Not really. It just should close with minimum force if its aligned properly. Make sure the cpu is rotated in the socket so that side of the cpu with the indent is the same side as the side of the socket with the outdent.
September 21, 2006 1:01:39 AM

Mine needed some effort as well. At 1st I thought I was doing something wrong, because I've installed upwards of 300 CPU's & this was the 1st 775 socket install for me. This needed more muscle than ever before to clinch down the lever than any previous CPU I've ever installed in the past 15yrs. I guess it's different for everyone.
a c 100 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2006 3:10:04 AM

The PGA ZIF sockets need just about no force to close- or at least the socket 478, 939, and 604 CPUs I have installed haven't needed any, nor have the DIP ZIF sockets I've used in lab. So if there was any resistance, something was bunked up and you did NOT crank on the lever. So I could imagine that he'd be nervous about cranking down on the LGA lever. I've never done an LGA chip, so I can't tell you.
!