Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Videos very slow to open in Windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
May 29, 2011 12:26:24 PM

Hi,

I recently installed Windows 7 on my wife's Samsung laptop (originally supplied with Vista) and generally the upgrade has been a great success. However, one constant complaint I get is that video files attached to emails are now very slow to open, whereas previously they had opened and played with no problem at all.

Could it be a driver issue, if so where should I look for an indication that I need to update. Sorry if it is a rather general quesion, but I am not too familiar with these things,

Thanks,

Roger
a b $ Windows 7
May 29, 2011 12:30:04 PM

Update JAVA and Adobe Flash to the latest versions.
Score
May 29, 2011 12:47:25 PM

Wow, that was a super quick reply, thanks, I will try that,

Roger
Score
Related resources
June 8, 2011 3:47:53 AM

Hi again,

Sadly nothing I have tried yet has had any impact on the problem and in fact after a weekend trying a number of strategies to solve this (installing codec updates, VLC, Media Player Classic, etc) I have come to the conclusion there are a number of problems which may or may not be related. I shall describe the symptoms and hope that someone can see a common denominator and hopefully point me in the right direction.
1. As mentioned, video files (regardless of what format they are) are very difficult to view. However, they will sometimes play with good sound and vision and synchronisation, so proving that the media player software and the video hardware are not fatally flawed.
2. The Laptop has a combined DVD/CD player/burner but no matter what disc is put in, AutoPlay does not give any indication the disc is recognised.
3. (My) Computer shows the disc (whether it is a DVD, CD, data or movie) yet as soon as I try to open/explore or read the disc in any way, (My) Computer stops responding. Any attempt to close (My) Computer via Ctrl+Alt+Del fails and it takes for ever to close the application.
4. At one stage, having put an audio CD in the drive, I left the computer to have lunch and after about 15 minutes the audio was heard, the disk playing as normal. However the moment I paused Play and tried to restart it Media Player would no longer work for me.
5. Device Manager shows no conflicts, and the CD/DVD player is reportedly using the up to date driver and working properly.
6. Attempts to burn data files to a blank CD also fail and Computer locks up!
7. My wife did remind me however that ever since the laptop was new (with Vista installed) there has always been a problem using the DVD/CD burner - I had forgotten!
At one stage I was on the point of going out to buy a new DVD/CD unit but since the one in the laptop does on occasion work as intended I suspect the problem is elsewhere.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated
Score
June 17, 2011 5:50:19 AM

Hi everyone,

I have not made any progress with this issue and fear I will have to resort to reinstalling Win 7. In the meantime I am receiving emails asking me to select a Best Reply but clearly no suitable reply has been received. If a moderator comes across this post, please advise what I should do in the circumstances,

Thanks,

Roger
Score
a b $ Windows 7
June 17, 2011 8:28:51 AM

The disc that doesn't work are they normal movie dvd or data dvd you burn for yourself? Because if you burn them with DLA support in window vista, you have to enable them in window 7 as well for it to recognize. As for the video not working, are you having problem playing video which can be accelerated H264/H264 or is it for all video type?
Score
June 18, 2011 3:53:42 AM

Hi Pyree,

Thanks for your reply.

The problems seem to exist no matter what type of disc is being read. DVD Movie discs, audio discs and home burned data discs all have problems and when trying to burn files to a data disc (photos most recently) this operation also failed.

As for playing video files, videos sent as attachments to emails will not play, but videos on websites like YouTube play very well.

I have so far been too busy to embark on a reinstall of Win7 but I am feeling this is the best option at this point in time but will not rush to do so while there is a chance a solution will present itself!

Thanks,

Roger
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
June 18, 2011 4:02:51 AM

Sorry that I cannot solve this because I cannot find out problem to give it an easy fix. If we continue to diagnose it, I think the lengthy time to solve that specific problem will be greater than a fresh reinstall, unless someone with more knowledge in this area can give you a solution.
June 28, 2011 8:23:39 PM

Thanks very much, I think that is my best and simplest option.

Sorry for the late response - I have been away for a few days,

Best wishes to all,

Roger
Score
June 28, 2011 8:23:58 PM

Best answer selected by rogerbid.
Score
a c 416 $ Windows 7
June 28, 2011 8:27:17 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!