HP 855C won't print out of Word or Notepad anymore, but Ex..

I am using an HP DeskJet 855C on a new Dell 2400 and everything worked
fine until yesterday, when all of a sudden it wouldn't print anything
out of Word or Notepad.

I've rebooted, removed the printer in control panel and reinstalled
using the 855C driver in XP to no avail. The test page shows graphics
but no text.

But if I print something out of Excel, everything works great - every
table, every graph...

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks a bunch -
2 answers Last reply
More about 855c print word notepad anymore

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 09:30:37 -0500, joann <joann_s@nomail.com> wrote:

    >I am using an HP DeskJet 855C on a new Dell 2400 and everything worked
    >fine until yesterday, when all of a sudden it wouldn't print anything
    >out of Word or Notepad.
    >
    > I've rebooted, removed the printer in control panel and reinstalled
    >using the 855C driver in XP to no avail. The test page shows graphics
    >but no text.
    >
    > But if I print something out of Excel, everything works great - every
    >table, every graph...
    >
    >Does anyone have any ideas?
    >
    >Thanks a bunch -

    More info: I just discovered that if a Word document contains _any_
    text in color, then the printer prints the document, but the black
    text comes out a bit grayish... However, if the Word document contains
    nothing but black text, then the printer will just print a blank
    page.... I've reseated and cleaned both cartridges and the black
    cartridge is new (it worked before yesterday!!!)

    "joann" <joann_s@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 09:30:37 -0500, joann <joann_s@nomail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I am using an HP DeskJet 855C on a new Dell 2400 and everything worked
    >>fine until yesterday, when all of a sudden it wouldn't print anything
    >>out of Word or Notepad.
    >>
    >> I've rebooted, removed the printer in control panel and reinstalled
    >>using the 855C driver in XP to no avail. The test page shows graphics
    >>but no text.
    >>
    >> But if I print something out of Excel, everything works great - every
    >>table, every graph...
    >>
    >>Does anyone have any ideas?
    >>
    >>Thanks a bunch -
    >>

    > More info: I just discovered that if a Word document contains _any_
    > text in color, then the printer prints the document, but the black
    > text comes out a bit grayish... However, if the Word document contains
    > nothing but black text, then the printer will just print a blank
    > page.... I've reseated and cleaned both cartridges and the black
    > cartridge is new (it worked before yesterday!!!)

    OK, the problem is the black cartridge. If there is any color on the page some
    programs will treat the page as graphics and the color cartridge is then used
    to print even the black areas.

    Given that it was a new black cartridge and the DeskJet 855 is about 10 years
    old you probably need to clean the spittoon area - the black cartridge may be
    rubbing on a buildup of ink causing the black cartridge to not function. See
    the following (and heed the warnings about newspaper - do not drop the "glob"
    on your desk, carpet, etc :-).
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpa02019

    Regards,

Printers Hewlett Packard Notepad Peripherals