Users Decipher Serial Numbers to Estimate Nexus 4 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
I bet LG never thought it could sell that many phones as being a small player (compared to other Android manufacturers).

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]InvalidError[/nom]210k in one month is relatively small. iToys and many other over-hyped gadgets ship more than that at launch from pre-orders.[/citation]

So did this device, which is why it's still sold out to this day.
This isn't a low-demand device by ANY means.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]This isn't a low-demand device by ANY means.[/citation]
Demand is not the problem, production volume was for the first two months after launch: only 70k and 90k units for Oct. and Nov. respectively.

This is much lower than most other launches of similarly hyped devices that often sell over 500k units/month for several months.

dns7950

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
This supply problem seriously hurt their business... I have been checking the play store daily for well over a month now, and it's finally got to the point where i give up. I hope Google never works with LG again. I have to hate on Google a bit too, they obviously knew it would be in extremely high demand given the specs for the price... They never should have released a product if they weren't prepared to meet the demand.. I wouldn't be so pissed if they had at least labelled it as a "limited edition" or something, or announced that there was going to be a short supply of them beforehand.. But the way they launched it knowing it would immediately sell out, and then just leave it in the play store labelled as "sold out" with no mention of when it could become available, and even eliminate the option of being notified when it comes in stock, it's just completely unaceptable.. Tomorrow i'm going to go spend twice as much money on a Nokia Lumia 920,even though Windows 8 it doesn't have the app selection of Android. So f*** Google and f*** LG.

snoogins

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
I have to say that I was not very impressed with the Nexus phone this time around hardware-wise. Not too mention lack of support for all carriers (yes the LTE exists...).

However, it didn't really matter because even if I still wanted one I wouldn't be able to. Hopefully something comes out soon, because my upgrade has been up for 2 months.

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
Supply problems aren't a big deal for me; my contract with Telus is up in 4 months and I already have a Galaxy Nexus. Nexus 4 will be my new gadget and my wife can use my galaxy nexus afterwards. I seriously don't understand how some people can be so upset about the specs either; they're pretty close to cutting edge; and at that price point you just simply can't get anything better unless you sign some sort of binding contract. I would recommend this phone to anyone that doesn't want to sign a contract or wants the most up to date android OS.

G

Google and LG are limiting the supply on purpose.

By releasing a phone that beats all other android pones in the value-for-$ segment by far, Google is competing with its own partners. It isn't wise to bite the hand that feeds you, so Google creates the hype without selling too many phones. Google isn't interested in making $ from Nexus 4, it only wants to create the hype, and show its partners that they need to do better (better value phones with up-to-date OS - which is what nexus 4 is). Google is basically telling its partners: "If you don't do a better job, remember that I have the potential to create a far better device than any one of you has right now, and you don't want me to do that and eat into your profits, now do you?" - hence the limited stock, because Google just want to bluff that it can eat its own partners for breakfast. Google wants as many partners as possible, and wants them to complete with each other, while google sits back and counts the $.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS