Sign in with
Your question

AMD's K8L engineering samples already in ODMs hands

Last response: in CPUs
September 21, 2006 1:32:43 AM

according to DIGITIMES
http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20060920A7032.html

Quote:
As for the quad-core processors, the sources disclosed that some server ODMs have already received samples of AMD's Revision (Rev) H and Intel's Xeon 3200 and have started developing supporting motherboards.

This means that the fabled K8L ES's are already out there.... shouldnt be long before we get some tests
September 21, 2006 1:58:24 AM

Apparently, they want to go by “Barcelona.”

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTE3NCwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==
Quote:
Regardless, “Next-Generation Processor Technology” is a bit dry. Given that AMD officials have been quoted using the “K8L” code name, I’ll stick with that for this article, but AMD wants you to remember it as an Opteron or Athlon when it is unveiled.

Update: 5PM CDT 9/18/06 – AMD has contacted me with information that backtracks on all of the branding information above. AMD has chosen to refer to the quad core code name for this next gen processor as “Barcelona.”

September 21, 2006 3:47:28 AM

Actually it'll be a while before we get independant tests. First K8L is released to servers first and we don't usually see as many server tests to begin with. Secondly, those K8L samples are only for motherboard development which means it'll be a while before we even see pre-production motherboards much less have a full system up for testing.

That said, it's possible AMD may hold a media event during the upcoming Fall IDF to show some self-performed tests of K8L. However, those will be using AMD's own development motherboards, which are unlikely to filter out for independant testing.

I'm assuming Deerhound, which I believe is a name even AMD used, is now Barcelona. It's wierd that they would change development names since they aren't for public consumption anyways. So much for the "hound" core names. I guess the point is to throw up a smoke screen over their roadmap so we don't know what is what anymore.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 21, 2006 4:56:57 AM

I guess K8L isn't quite ready to be demoed and AMD doesn't want to tip it's hand about 4x4 and 65nm quite yet.
September 21, 2006 5:02:30 AM

I'm betting that there is now K8L even made yet. I'm betting it is the 65nm K8 that some select OEM's are getting. Just my 2 cents.
!