Memory Compatability with GA-965P-DS3

AesikNaos

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I'm going to be getting the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 mobo soon for a conroe build.
But, all I have read about the board that is bad is Memory compatability problems.
There is a sheet on the Gigabyte website that says what modules that they have tested and work but, there arent very many good brands on it and theres only a few ok DDR2 800 modules but there kinda out of my range.
Can anyone who has experience with this board or know of someone who has please tell me what RAM you or they have that worked on it?
Preferably Corsair Kingston OCZ or Patriot.
My budget on ram is about 155 for a 1gig 512x2 stick in DualChannel.
If I have to spend 200 I will but, I'm really not looking forward to it as it will make me wait longer to get my system up and running.
Thanks.

PS I'm going to post this in the Memory section as well just incase so more people see it....hope its ok.

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
I have had good luck with the Kingston Hyper-X in my sig. It's not the low latency stuff, but I have been running it at 5-5-5-15 @ 858 MHz for weeks now and it has been rock steady. My DS3 shipped with BIOS F3 and the memory worked from the moment that I powered up the system.

Just for the fun of it, I tightened the timing to 4-4-4-14 tonight to see what would happen and it seems to be just as stable as ever. I have been running Prime95 for 20 minutes without an error. Usually when I go too far with something, it crashes within 5 minutes. I'll let it run for a few hours just to make sure that it's perfectly stable.

AesikNaos

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Is there a way to check which Bios version is on the board I will get?
I'm buying from newegg and was just curious.
Im guessing the answer is no but, thought I'd ask anyways.
I just dont have the money to buy cheap compatible ram with the right volts just to turn it on and change it and throw better ram in.

Links to the specific ram on newegg would be great if its not a problem I just dont want to acidentally get the wrong stuff.

Thanks.

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Is there a way to check which Bios version is on the board I will get?
I'm buying from newegg and was just curious.
Im guessing the answer is no but, thought I'd ask anyways.
I just dont have the money to buy cheap compatible ram with the right volts just to turn it on and change it and throw better ram in.

Links to the specific ram on newegg would be great if its not a problem I just dont want to acidentally get the wrong stuff.

Thanks.

I don't think that there's a way to know ahead of time. I'm guessing that newegg moves so much hardware that their stock is pretty fresh and you'll get a board with F4 or F5. I bought my board two months ago and it came with F3 loaded. You can feel fairly confident that you'll get newer than that.

wolfman140

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I have Corsair XMS2 DDR800 5-5-5-12 and it worked fine. The board defaults to 1.8v which is under most ram I think, but I was able to post and go into BIOS and change it to what my ram needs which is 1.9v.

swint144

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
I've got an 'S3 and it works fine with OCZ Platinum DDR2 800. I bought 3 weeks ago and got 2GB (2x1GB)for $200, but I see that the price is now $260!