Fluids... which is best...

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Ok, I am using the PC Ice, and it is a nice product... Seems very sticky when you spill it... kinda messy, and kinda thick

A forum here...
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=191634&highlight=liquid+cooling+fluids

then there are the nuts... and there is a great guide for people like this (151 Rum)
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=189671&highlight=liquid+cooling+fluids

Talks about waterwetter and Antifreeze... which are NOT good for water systems...
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=72039&highlight=liquid+cooling+fluids

Tap water can be hit or miss, and is corrosive, and conductive... forget about all the nutty ideas like window washer solution, etc...

Has anyone come up with a confident answer to this age old question, what liquid should I use in my PC.. I am more interested in commercial products made specifically for this application

Here is a list
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g30/c103/list/p1/Liquid_Cooling-Coolant_Additives.html

Any ideas?

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I've used PrimoChill ICE for more than a year now, almost two probably. I've spilled it, dripped it and have experienced leaks while the computer has been operational and it's never let me down. It does what it says (coolant, antibiological, lubricant, nonconductive) so why fix something when it isn't broken?

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Good advice... I love the XP fluid, because the individual who designed it is clearly a very good chemist. I fear that the ICE products is a products that wasnt developed with someone who might not understand chemistry but that used reports from sources of manufactures of certain items that reported problems and success with certain items.

The only problem with the XP Fluid is that it costs more then the potential replacement issues that may arise from SOME products that may occur in 5-10 years.

Mike

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Well, say you invest in a $600 video card or a $1000 processor or a $250 motherboard...

How much would you be willing to pay to replace them - the same price or the $20 something for a bottle of the non-conductive you might should have gotten?

Anyway, once a proper cooling loop is put together (no leaks, solid mounting, etc.) you don't have to do any maintenance to it but, perhaps, once or twice a year (with the exception of when you dismantle it for upgrading.

I think non-conductive fluids are a solid investment no matter the cost.

You can't put a price on peace of mind...

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
couldnt agreemore... and dont forget non-corrosive... Its a pain to clean a MoBo, and its impossible to do it perfect... If it was going to be exposed once or twice too the liquid, it wouldnt be a problem... but setting up watercooling systems, and tweaking them takes allot of testing things out... Anyways... No mater how hard you work, you aint going to keep things from dripping...

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
OK

Lest just get this correct:

1: Mix non conductive liquid additive into tap water = conductive liquid

2: Double distilled deionized water (undergone reverse osmosis) = fairly non conductive.

3: Water in pc initially non conductive overtime as it picks up trace metals from the water blocks..... will become conductive.....

3: I still want to throw preejack into a tub of PC ICE and test its conductive nature by adding a live toaster.

Hrmz

ZAP ZAP CRACKLE POP

mmmmmm

fresh meat

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I would take that challenge... if the Ice shit wasnt so damn gross... Id come out orange, and if you turned on a black light my dick would glow...

I know its not conductive... we tested it...

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
If you are using, say, PrimoChill ICE as a coolant in your liquid cooling loop then if you find that you want to add more fluid, only add more PrimoChill ICE. I wouldn't mess with the compatiblity issues of thinking you could mix Fluid XP with PrimoChill ICE. You certainly don't want to add water or any kind of any other brand of coolant. I always have an extra bottle of PrimoChill ICE handy or If you have plenty left over after filling your cooling loop then you're fine.