Aleano

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
I am wondering if my cpu temperatures are at a safe limit? I dont want to damage any of my parts.

Note: This chip isnt even overclocked, all its settings are default.

E6600 2.4ghz
My board is MSI P965 Neo

The current idle temperature is between 34C-39C, and at maximum cpu usage the temperature is between 59C-64C

Im not sure whats the max temperature of the chip before it starts to get damaged.

Are these safe limits? Or should I be worried? Please any info would help. Im not sure whats the max temperature of the chip before it starts to get damaged.

lethalinjection

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
Hi there I recently overclocked my E6600 to 2.8ghz and I am wondering if my cpu temperatures are at a safe limit? I dont want to damage any of my parts.

The current idle temperature is between 34C-39C, and at maximum cpu usage the temperature is between 59C-64C

Im not sure whats the max temperature of the chip before it starts to get damaged.

Are these safe limits? Or should I be worried? Please any info would help. Im not sure whats the max temperature of the chip before it starts to get damaged.

Intel's datasheet says something like 60.1C is the CPU limit. Your temps vary depending on which program you are using. Core Temp reads the internal temp from a sensor. Asus Probe is reading the external temp of the CPU.

I have my CPU OC'd to 3.2ghz. Here are my temps and which program they are from.

--IDLE--
Asus Probe : 25c
Core Temp : Core1 40c, Core2 44c

--LOAD--
Asus Probe : 42c
Core Temp : Core1 57c, Core2 59c

I'm using a Zalman 9500 series CPU cooler.

Aleano

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
Alrighty, I guess I will have to buy a better HS cooler. What is the best air cooler available? I do not want to get into water cooling, water and circuitry don't mix.

Alrighty, I guess I will have to buy a better HS cooler. What is the best air cooler available? I do not want to get into water cooling, water and circuitry don't mix.

I don't think that is what lethal said. What temp program are you using, not all of them read the same, essentially no-one is sure what their internal temps are. At 64 it would have started to throttle, and the fact that you haven't probably means that the reading you are getting is wrong.

I think the limit is a lot higher that what you have hit for a stock cooler.

Check out Wuzy's overclocking guide elsewhere on the forum.

Aleano

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
Im reading my temperatures with Core Temp. I took it to 2997 mhz last night and it overheated at 100% CPU.

silenteagle1

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
I personally think your temps are too high for that processor, i have the e6600 overclocked to 3.55GHz and my core temps using the program coretemp never goes over 50c on load. I have a thermalright si 120. Either your case isnt cooled properly or you just got a cpu from a batch that just doesnt overclock well.

Aleano

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
When I ran two prime95 stress tests the cpu was at 100% and the temp went from 63 to 66 then it just rebooted.

Im going to buy some Arctic Silver 5 today and repaste the hs. If that doesnt help im gonig to buy Arctic Cooler Pro 7 for 40$. I hope I will start to get normal temperatures...

If that doesnt help then , Im going to take the chip back for an exchange.

Magnus

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
I OC'ed my E6600 to 2.7 Ghz... im using a Scythe Ninja Plus cooler

i did extreeme power consumption / heat test in prime 95

it never went over 36 Celsius

AspireMe

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006

What motherboard are you using? I have a Scythe Ninja as well but my motherboard is a GA-965P-DS4 which uses passive heatpipes to cool the chipset. Will it overheat since air isn't pushed down onto the motherboard when using the ninja? Will the case fans just be adequate?

lethalinjection

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006

If your not using Core Temp to measure your temps then 36C doesn't mean anything. Most programs are reading the external temp. It is also helpful when posting a temp reading to say what program you are getting that temp with.

Magnus

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
Your right, i just did a torture test again max heat/max power consumption with my case closed it peaked at 45 Celsius measured with core temp

Aleano

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
Ok I cleaned the heatsink and the heatspreader with alcohol. Repasted it with AS5, and my temperatures are the same =/ What do I do now?

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I'm running my E6600 at 3GHz and never get above 54. According to Intel, maximum temperature is 60. Something is wrong with your cooling system

i8blarg

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
i'm new here, but i wanted to thank you guys for your input. this thread was a good read because i'm considering oc'ing my system :D

Aleano

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
The HS is securely clipped on, im 100% on that. Im going to take it back for an exchange cause Im getting sick of this. Wasted so much money on extra fans and stuff, yet the default HS and fan should have been sufficient enough. Im calling intel, ive had enough of this tinkering bs.
Even at default(266 FSB) settings the cpu heats up from 34-39c at idle to 60-61c at max cpu load

jjw

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
RMA means Return Merchandise Authorization. (It means send it back to the vendor/manufacturer)

As for your temps. The 60.1 is the max temp. I've heard throttling kicks in at 80C (at least for the P4's)

As for the Stock Heatsink, the change in temp from the Core to Cooling air is around 24C. This means that if the air temp inside your case is hotter than 36C then your core will be above 60C. This assumes 65 Watts of power. If you use AS5 vs. the stock TIM then this changes to 33C across the heatsink and a max case internal temp of 27C!

I was schooled in this...

With a better heat sink the temp across the heatsink will decrease. I personally own a Arctic Cooler Pro 7.

lethalinjection, what is your ambient temp?

Aleano

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
My ambient temperature is at about 20-22C System temp is at 32c. I used AS5 about 5 times now (cleaning it off with alcohol/cloth). I used the amount shown on the AS Website. Yet it is still being a naughty pc. Could I contact you and talk to you about this through msn? or any other faster mean of communication

jjw

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Maybe tomorrow, time for bed.

For now, Check that you have latest bios, core voltage. I used a infra-red (non-contact) thermometer to measure the temp of my fanblades of my intake and exaust on my case. CoreTemp is the standard for measuring CPU temps. What is your heatsink fan RPM, and is fan speed controller turned on/off in the bios. Are you still using the stock heatsink?

If you are up for it try lapping your heatsink base with better than 600 grit paper (make sure it is flat, google for some guides)

I think some motherboards don't pump out enough voltage to spin some fans at full speed. (I'm guessing an over-current protection mechanism)

Aleano

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
Used MSI Live BIOS Update, I have this latest BIOS.

Item Name MS-7235 Update
Current Ver. 1.50 Online Ver. 1.50 Size 723KB
Notes 1. This is Award BIOS release.
2. This BIOS fixes the following problem of the previous version:
- Showed full memory size(4G) at bios post screen directly.
- Fixed use 533 CPU + 667 memory system will unstable.
- Updated CPU micro code.
- Enhance memory compatibility.
3. 2006/08/21

CPU Fanspeed is at 1939 RPM at idle (Using CoreCenter)

CPU Smart Fan function is enabled at 35C with a tolerance of 2. (Is that what you meant by fan speed controller?)

And yeah I am using the stock heatsink pasted with AS5.

Ill pm you my msn so we can chat faster tomorrow.

greenmtboy

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
HI I also have the E6600 with stock heatsink. I was wondering what is the best after market cooler, so I can increase the overclock over 10%. Right now under load at 10% overclock, it is as high as 55C. This is weird because I have the Thermaltake Armor series case, and this thing is a tank of a heatsink itself.

Trustee

Honorable
May 8, 2012
Hi guys,

I recently upgraded my studio PC for e6600, asus p5gz-mx mobo (crap for e6600), and 2gb 533mhz kingston (value)ram, Win XP Pro x32

to

e6600, asus p5w dh mobo, 8gb Crucial 667mhz ram AND Asus Radeon HD 7770 Direct CU (Not TOP), Win 7 Ultimate x64

Stock Cooling

Before upgrade my cpu was limited to 1.8ghz (200mhz BCLK x 9, limited by chipset) and temps were around 65c IDLE.

After upgrade and a good clean out temps were around 35 idle and of course CPU was now 2.4Ghz of course (266mhz BCLK x 9).

I ran it for a few weeks and all seemed ok, so....

i pushed the BCLK up to 333Mhz to match RAM and CPU is now (3.0Ghz 333Mhz BCLK x 9).

Idle is 34-37c (core 2 generally lower at all times) and ive run CryENGINE 3 Editor x64 on Very High Spec, DX11, and View Distance set to 8000m (which is standard but VERY HIGH) and temps never got higher than 52c on core 1 and 47c on core 2 even when i rotate at high speed. max load was about 80%.

Now this may not sound fantastic but i didnt mention that when i upgraded it was the middle of the night and i had no arctic silver so i put the stock heatsink back on with the same dodgy, crusty, cracked up paste. (hence why i ran for a couple weeks first).

Yes the temps ARE Core Temp.

I now have the confidence to run prime95 at 3.0Ghz with dodgy paste. will post results for anyone who is OCing there e6600 in 2012.

My tips (dont know how valid they are):

Asus Mobo (can only speak of what i know), Compressed Air (blow out every nook and cranny inside case, psu, heatsinks, etc), and dont touch vcore manually (for now at least), just push up BCLK to 333 (and make sure u have 667mhz ram @ 1.80v fixed).

If thats stable under pressure THEN upgrade cooling and push harder.

Anything else sounds like a dud chip or *** mobo. correct me if im wrong but are MSI boards good i thought they were cheapos.

Quality mobos have a high number of quality components that deliver smooth stable voltages.

Hope it helps. PS this is my first overclock ever

I was told once by a AMD Tech that with the Phenom II's max temp at 62c is when the Vcore is at 1.55, stock they are around 1.2 - 1.3v, He told me that the CPU can safely go up to 70c as long as its under 1.55v, they just don't warranty it. Not sure if the same applies for Intel, not even sure if thats the case with even AMD lol.

Figured I would put that out there.