Suggest speakers for me please......

ualdriver

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
My 6 year old Altec Lansing 4.1 speakers have finally died on me after 6 years. I used the "search" function and couldn't find some good info so I'll ask you guys directly......

Please suggest a decent 4.1 or 5.1 speaker system out of the box that I can use for my computer. I have a Soundblaster Xfi Extreme music card. I am not an audiophile by any means, I don't listen to music, I don't play movies on my computer, and my ear is extremely unsophisticated. I just want a decent set of speakers that won't pop when I game at low to moderate volumes. Under $200 would be nice......

Thanks for your advice......

Siba

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
... and my ear is extremely unsophisticated....

You think that until you hear better sound. :D It doesn't take as much training or time as a lot of the things you read lead you to believe.

Under $200 would be nice......

You seem to be pretty set against buying something of good quality. From my perspective, it's better to buy something that will last 3 times as long, even if it costs 3 times as much. High quality speakers will last you a lot more than the 5ish years (give or take a couple) that a budget pc setup would likely last you. There are many stories I've read where people in different situations end up using 10-20 year old high end equipment, and those setups work like a charm.

Just throwing out my opinion. Worth a shot :)

AddictiveHerring

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
I would agree with the previous poster, quality in sound is something you WILL notice on a daily basis. It adds a TON to media experiences. Unfortunately if you are interested in decent speakers, you can't buy computer speakers. Even the Klipsch high end systems kind of blow. I think most audiophiles would agree that a good 2.0 or 2.1 system is actually going to be a better experience than some shitty boxed 5.1 system. Why buy an extremem music xfi, then play it through crap-speakers?

Anyone truly interested in taking baby steps into the world of decent sounding speakers should look for a local Fidelity dealer, and demo some cheap bookshelves like Paradigm Titan's. Best price/performance pair I can think of.

I think that kinda got off the point. But I just didn't understand why someone with an Extreme Music card was asking for "just something I can game with at low volume".

ualdriver

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
I think that kinda got off the point. But I just didn't understand why someone with an Extreme Music card was asking for "just something I can game with at low volume".

He-he. You don't share your office with your wife!!!

Alright, so it sounds like I'm better off buying quality then a surround sound system in a box. Will do. Thanks for all the info.

halcyon

Splendid
I agree that you'll get better sound quality by going with regular bookshelves or floor-standing speakers. However, I won't assume that you don't have that already elsewhere in your home. You may be just looking for a simple, concise solution to fit the office you share....and asthetics may, indeed, be an issue?

If you can accept some compromise and realize that you're not getting the very best sound that is technically possible I'd recommend the Logitech Z-5450 or Z-5500's. However, no matter how you slice it, it's a lot of wires so you'll expend some time doing neat, wife-committee approved, cabling. ...or you can go with an even simpler 2.1 set. The Klipsch Pro Media's or iFi's are pretty fair for PC speakers.

Again, if this is your only audio outlet in your home...don't do PC speakers, there's so much better out there. However, if you already have the "there's-so-much-better-out-there" setup elsewhere in your home then a set of good PC speakers may be an appropriate prescription for your office. ...or if you don't mind a few full sized components in your office than even an economical receiver and small bookshelves would give you a big jump in audio quality.

I'm not suggesting anyone compromise on their audio quality, but audio quality is not the only criteria in selecting the appropriate audio solution for PC driven audio...at least not for everyone. Just because you're getting a respectable sound card doesn't mean you have to feed it to seperates to enjoy it, IMO.

ualdriver

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Halcyon-

I guess I didn't really think about using "real" speakers for a computer until now. I guess my question is this....how do you hook up "real" (i.e. non-PC) speakers to one's computer? My sound card has those small mini jacks that I thought only PC speakers have. If I go to a good speaker store and buy a good subwoofer with 2 fronts just to get started until I have more $$ for the satellites, what's the interface between the computer sound card and the subwoofer/speakers as I don't think they use the same type of jacks/cables???

halcyon

Splendid
If you do want better speakers, and you'll not be sorry should you go that way, you'll need to amplify them.

You can go with powered monitors, these are M-Audio's lineup, for example ( http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.list&ID=studiomonitors )

...or you can use a receiver, stereo or surround (I'd suggest the latter). You can connect that to your X-Fi, simply, by getting 3.5 mini-jacks-to-RCA (as long as the receiver has an 5.1+ analog input) or you can use the upmix capabilities of modern receivers to provided simulated surround from a 2-channel source. There are several options depending on what you want to achieve and I've, for everyone else, not even begun to list them. The X-Fi has significant digital output limitations but digital output is just another option.

...again, this is one reason why someone might select something like the Logitech Z-5XXX speakers...simplicity. If you want to know more of the various connectivity options let us know and we'll go there.

ualdriver

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
OK, that's what I thought. More complexity :) It looks like your initial suggestion of the Logitech Z-5XXX might be best for me. Thanks for your advice.

edit: Actually, I saw the Logitech Z-5300E on newegg while I was looking for your original suggestion and I saw that on the back of the subwoofer that there are "standard" speaker jacks that connect to each of the 5 channels (I guess the powered subwoofer serves as the connection between the sound card and the surround system). Does it make sense, or is it even possible, to go with this cheaper system now, and then buy good, quality speakers to replace the cheap satellites that come with this set as time passes and funds become available? Or is that a bad idea?

halcyon

Splendid
Absolutely, to me it does. If you wanted to go with a lower-cost solution knowing, ahead of time, that you may upgrade it when you are ready (or have more disposable funds) then you can enjoy something right now and enjoy something better later when you're ready to upgrade. The Z-5300e's are not a bad solution for that kind of strategy, IMO.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
You could do that... I would warn against it though. First of all, the impedance of the satellites may not be known. That could cause an unnecessary draw on the amp that is in the SUB.

Also, the sub I am sure, is using a crossover specific to those smaller speakers. Again a bad thing, trying to match both impedance and freq response range of the existing sats with an aftermarket product.

Best thing to do would be "as stated" go to a cheaper receiver with a 2 or 2.1 setup first. Spend the bulk of the money on the 2.1 part. Your system is only as good as your Speakers. Does your audio card have either coax or fiber out for digital outs? You could send that to the cheaper receiver and later upgrade to 4.1 or 5.1 with the final upgrade being the receiver itself.

You would be very surprised at the sound quality of a good set of bookshelf speakers. I would personally recommend going with a standard stereo 2.nothing setup at first. The bass from a good bookshelf will probably come close to matching the sub in the out-of-the-box solutions.

A final possible solution would be the HTIB "Home Theater In a Box". Kenwood of all vendors was making a very respectable $280.00 solution that will be far better than a made for PC setup. This would also require a Receiver so again add another 100 - 150 to that. But, this solution would give you decent sound (better than PC, worse than quality separates) and is usually 5.1 already.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
The move from the Logitechs would probably look more like this:

Purchase receiver and connect new sats/bookshelf speakers directly to the receiver (so it provides power to the sats). Then route the LFE feed to the existing sub.

Your computer would then connect to your receiver and all is done.

Please remember that the 5.1 boxed sets typically do not REALLY do 5.1.

They rely on the sub to pick up the .1 but also the hits for bass (speakers are too small to reproduce any meaningful bass themselves) for all the sats. This steals away from the .1 which is no longer as impacting as it should be. These systems (Bose included) should be called 5.(.5)....

halcyon

Splendid
OK, that's what I thought. More complexity :) It looks like your initial suggestion of the Logitech Z-5XXX might be best for me. Thanks for your advice.

edit: Actually, I saw the Logitech Z-5300E on newegg while I was looking for your original suggestion and I saw that on the back of the subwoofer that there are "standard" speaker jacks that connect to each of the 5 channels (I guess the powered subwoofer serves as the connection between the sound card and the surround system). Does it make sense, or is it even possible, to go with this cheaper system now, and then buy good, quality speakers to replace the cheap satellites that come with this set as time passes and funds become available? Or is that a bad idea?

Whoa! I mis-read this post in my hurried-ness (I'm @ the office), my apologies. I would not recommend adding different satellites to the Z-5300e's subwoofer. I thought you meant just getting the Z-5300e's now and upgrading that whole system at a later time. Ches111's posts above explain why you probably would not want to mix better satellites with the Z-5300e's sub. Nope, it'd be better IMO to spend on a descent setup now or get a lower-end PC speaker setup now (~$100) with replacing it in mind in the not too distant future. You can use the replaced set later for something like an iPod in the bedroom when the time comes. ...and if you're considering that I'd go with a 2.1 system for the now . Something not great, but not bad...like the Creative iTrigue L3800's and at $120 that's still stretching it a bit but it's not a bad set for a concise 3-way 2.1 system.

I won't recommend more expensive speakers, not even $30 more since replacing them is part of this plan.

halcyon

Splendid
You could do that... I would warn against it though. First of all, the impedance of the satellites may not be known. That could cause an unnecessary draw on the amp that is in the SUB.

Also, the sub I am sure, is using a crossover specific to those smaller speakers. Again a bad thing, trying to match both impedance and freq response range of the existing sats with an aftermarket product.

Best thing to do would be "as stated" go to a cheaper receiver with a 2 or 2.1 setup first. Spend the bulk of the money on the 2.1 part. Your system is only as good as your Speakers. Does your audio card have either coax or fiber out for digital outs? You could send that to the cheaper receiver and later upgrade to 4.1 or 5.1 with the final upgrade being the receiver itself.

You would be very surprised at the sound quality of a good set of bookshelf speakers. I would personally recommend going with a standard stereo 2.nothing setup at first. The bass from a good bookshelf will probably come close to matching the sub in the out-of-the-box solutions.

A final possible solution would be the HTIB "Home Theater In a Box". Kenwood of all vendors was making a very respectable $280.00 solution that will be far better than a made for PC setup. This would also require a Receiver so again add another 100 - 150 to that. But, this solution would give you decent sound (better than PC, worse than quality separates) and is usually 5.1 already.

...and Best Buys has those nice Insignias for ~$100/pair. If you did mate those with low-end stereo receiver, to start with, you'd likely have a system that would flatten most, if not all, PC speaker setups. It's getting more complex with more focus on audio quality, but that audio quality is real and the set may offer more utility over time. As you know, you'll have to decide which factors and compromises are right for you. It's unfortunate that there's few easy-to-get + simple/concise + economic + great-sounding solutions, like a audiophile quality Logitech Z-6600 type of solution (imaginary, of course). There's likely going to be some compromise. The horse is kind of dead, so I'll not beat it anymore.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
UAL,

I have the Boston Acoustics VR-M series speakers used in combination with my home theater and my PC (PC is on the overhead projector as well).

The sound produced from them is so nice that I have converted many "not an audiophile" type folks to "where do I get these and how long will it take" :).

Especially when paired with the video from my projector.

The audio quality from these speakers is SUBSTANTIAL and you can hear EVERYTHING. Until you have heard every finger drag and pick of a string during Frampton or Clapton on CD you have not lived :).

It is amazing to hear such a difference. All this from a well made MID-GRADE speaker ($400.00 per speaker).

You will find yourself wanting to listen to your music collection all over again just to see what you have missed.

Bottom line is - Receivers/wattifiers even cheaper ones for the most part are very similar in performance (discreet amplification per channel is a whole other story). So what makes the lower/any end system is the speakers.

AddictiveHerring

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
That is actually exactly what I was getting at, using a pair of paradigms with a pc, is like night and day compared to the crap they sell as computer speakers, at 260 a pair you can't afford not to liberate your ears. a Harmon Kardon stereo 80 watt reciever refurb for 180. Actually the Titans will have a higher clarity of sound than those bostons for 400 a piece, they are just smaller with less handleable wattage and a smaller range.

computer speakers are a joke. I don't think they are ever worth it unless you jsut need like a 25 dollar pair for your home office. Although someone mentioned previously a decent pair of computer speakers in the office and a better sound system somewhere else does make sense. And I do admit, i don't share an office with my wife, so I suppose it is not always sensible for all. but for someone who does, and is interested in better sound quality in a small space, a 4 inch-5 inch bookshelf is very compact, and can be used with a small form factor amplifier, not a full sized reciever.

However the point of this thread was to determine what this gentleman was looking for, and I would honestly suggest a 2.1 system for higher quality like the klipsch 2.1 since he has limited space and budget. I think they run in the 100-200 dollar range. Believe me, you don't need "sophisticated" ears to hear the difference, music and games come alive. Use that Xtreme music card to really hear the music in a new light. Not to mention speakers with higher audio precision can be played at lower volumes while still hearing all that is going on. Have you ever noticed having to crank up the volume on old/bad speakers to here any sort of dialogue or nuance?

I would also like to point out that simple two channel stereo is what most professional gamers use, because it is actually mush easier to tell in most games (CS for example) where someone is coming from. spacial realization with stereo usually works the best essentially.