floppy images

I use an old version of calendar creator that I like better than the current
one. But I do not have much faith in the longevity of my installation disks.
Is it possible to create floppy images on my HD and install from there?

Thanks,

Clem.

"C.M.G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> wrote in message

>I use an old version of calendar creator that I like better than the
>current one. But I do not have much faith in the longevity of my
>installation disks. Is it possible to create floppy images on my HD and
>install from there?

I see that your question has already ben answered, but I wanted to add a
caveat. It's fine to not trust the floppies and make a backup of them, but
you should beware of trusting the hard drive too. Hard drives fail, files
get deleted, etc.

Perhaps a better approach is to burn the diskette images to a CD.

--
Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Shell/User
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

"C.M.G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> skrev i melding
>I use an old version of calendar creator that I like better than the
>current one. But I do not have much faith in the longevity of my
>installation disks. Is it possible to create floppy images on my HD and
>install from there?

Yes, such software exists. Look for a program called Floppy Image, which
lets you create .img or compressed .imz images of your floppies, so you can
rewrite these back to fresh floppies when your original floppies fail.

Although for installation purposes it would probably be easier to create a
bunch of subfolders on your harddrive (disk1, disk2 etc) and copy the files
from each and every floppy into the respective folder, and then install from
there.

André,

Thank you for your help. I found the program you describe, and it should
work.

I also tried the other approach you suggested -- copying the files to
individual directories and also combining them all into a single directory.
In either case, the installation fails, apparently because file extraction
is not proceeding properly.

Clem.

"André Gulliksen" <andre.gulliksen@start.no> wrote in message
> "C.M.G." <cmg@ohiorepromed.moc> skrev i melding
>>I use an old version of calendar creator that I like better than the
>>current one. But I do not have much faith in the longevity of my
>>installation disks. Is it possible to create floppy images on my HD and
>>install from there?
>
> Yes, such software exists. Look for a program called Floppy Image, which
> lets you create .img or compressed .imz images of your floppies, so you
> can rewrite these back to fresh floppies when your original floppies fail.
>
> Although for installation purposes it would probably be easier to create a
> bunch of subfolders on your harddrive (disk1, disk2 etc) and copy the
> files from each and every floppy into the respective folder, and then
> install from there.

Ken,

That sounds like good advice.

Are CDs subject to any deterioration (other than surface scratches) over
long periods of time?

Thanks,

Clem.

C.M.G. wrote:
> Are CDs subject to any deterioration (other than surface scratches)
> over long periods of time?

Yes. I had CDs stored away in the closet for a few months, only to find that
they were unreadable when I needed them. I would not rely on burned optical
media for long term storage.