Wireless printing options for IP printer

Currently I have a Xerox Phaser 860 connected via Ethernet to a Linksys
wireless router and 4 port hub. We are using it as an IP printer in a
mixed network of Mac and PCs. It's fast, reliable with no troubles.

Problem is, I'd like to move the printer into another room, but cannot
move the Linksys wireless router and 4 port hub. I've looked into
wireless print servers, but so far all are for USB printers. While this
printer can be used as a USB printer, I've read of problems with both
reliability and performance speed, so I don't want to do that. Given
the troubles reported, I'm wondering if there are other options that
don't rely on USB.

I contacted Xerox and they had no suggestions as they don't support
wireless connectivity.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Amy
6 answers Last reply
More about wireless printing options printer

    Hi Amy

    > I've looked into
    > wireless print servers, but so far all are for USB printers.

    I've set up several of my clients with the D-Link DP-311P
    wireless parallel print server. It works flawlessly, and
    installs easily (just be sure to follow the setup instructions
    in the manual precisely). Highly recommended.

    -- stan

    This printer is USB or Ethernet; no parallel connection. Certainly
    wouldn't want to use it if it did... sending huge jobs from InDesign or
    Illustrator would take forever.

    Glad you're having luck with it; many reports on the product at Amazon
    are not pretty.

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B0000A0VBM/ref=cm_cr_dp_2_1/102-7826144-5496144?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=electronics

    You know, I'd thought about this two hub issue. But... will those two
    hubs play well together? When I was seeking to extend a wireless
    network, I was told I couldn't just throw another hub into play, but
    rather had to get a specific type of device that would act as a
    repeater.

    But couldn't I just set up the hub, give it its own IP address within
    the internal network, then point it to the original wireless hub as the
    gateway?

    In article <1126546392.584968.104290@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    lavachickie@gmail.com wrote:

    > Currently I have a Xerox Phaser 860 connected via Ethernet to a Linksys
    > wireless router and 4 port hub. We are using it as an IP printer in a
    > mixed network of Mac and PCs. It's fast, reliable with no troubles.
    >
    > Problem is, I'd like to move the printer into another room, but cannot
    > move the Linksys wireless router and 4 port hub.

    Lava-

    This sounds like a job for a Wireless Bridge. There are several
    available, but I can't give you a specific. My experience with them was
    poor because none I tried would pass AppleTalk. However, they should work
    well for IP printing, and may be your least expensive solution.

    My current setup overcomes the AppleTalk problem by using the "Wireless
    Distribution System" (WDS) feature of 802.11g, using Buffalo WBR-G54
    Wireless Routers (with firware upgraded). One is the base station and two
    others are configured as WDS clients. Each has four ports, although only
    the base station currently has more than one Ethernet connection to
    equipment such as computers and the printer. The WDS client has the
    ability to extend the base stations range, but I have that feature turned
    off.

    The Apple Airport Extreme is much easier to configure than the Buffalo.
    It has WDS capability, but only one LAN port.

    Fred

    In message <1126546392.584968.104290@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    lavachickie@gmail.com writes
    >Currently I have a Xerox Phaser 860 connected via Ethernet to a Linksys
    >wireless router and 4 port hub. We are using it as an IP printer in a
    >mixed network of Mac and PCs. It's fast, reliable with no troubles.
    >
    >Problem is, I'd like to move the printer into another room, but cannot
    >move the Linksys wireless router and 4 port hub. I've looked into
    >wireless print servers, but so far all are for USB printers. While this
    >printer can be used as a USB printer, I've read of problems with both
    >reliability and performance speed, so I don't want to do that. Given
    >the troubles reported, I'm wondering if there are other options that
    >don't rely on USB.
    >
    >I contacted Xerox and they had no suggestions as they don't support
    >wireless connectivity.

    Can you get another wireless router so you have:

    Printer-WirelessHubA

    WirelessHubB-Network

    Alternatively could you drill a hole through the wall and pass the
    network cable through?

    When we were having our office refurbed I asked the builders to leave a
    little hole between two rooms so that wires can be passed between, they
    did quite a nice job of it and lined the inside with a piece of
    drainpipe.

    --
    Timothy

    > This printer is USB or Ethernet; no parallel connection.

    Sorry, I misunderstood that point from your original post.

    > Glad you're having luck with it;
    > many reports on the product at Amazon
    > are not pretty.

    It's been my experience that most folks have problems
    when an installation requires careful following of
    a specific set of steps. This is one such instance.

    -- stan

Printers Wireless Wireless Router Peripherals