best Fx drivers???

hardcodder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
What is the best driver for a Geforce FX 5600 128mb?

Maybe it's more than one driver that i should know about: Besides some older dx9 releases, i would also like to play older games (dx7 & dx8).

It is in a dual boot system (Win98se/winXP Pro).

Any help will be greatly appreiated! :D

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006

Maybe it's more than one driver that i should know about: Besides some older dx9 releases, i would also like to play older games (dx7 & dx8).

www.nvidia.com

hardcodder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006

www.nvidia.com

That doesn't help at all. It would have, if i was merely looking for a place to get drivers - but that's not it.

Any help anyone?

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006

www.nvidia.com

That doesn't help at all. It would have, if i was merely looking for a place to get drivers - but that's not it.

Any help anyone?

The newest driver is almost always the best driver. Just install the frigging new driver.

hardcodder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006

www.nvidia.com

Any help anyone?

The newest driver is almost always the best driver. Just install the frigging new driver.

No, i'm afraid that's not true when it comes to dx7 & dx8 games.

Does anyone know?

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006

www.nvidia.com

Any help anyone?

No, i'm afraid that's not true when it comes to dx7 & dx8 games.

Does anyone know?

Driver number 12345 is best for dx7 and dx8 games.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Apparently you don't...

Does anyone else?

Does anyone care? I doubt there is any noticeable difference between the newest nVidia drivers for your card and these mystical "best" drivers that you seek. Stop posting on forums and play those games instead.

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
>No, I'm afraid that's not true when it comes to dx7 & dx8 games

Firstly, WTF? You come on to an enthusiasts forum and ask for help, then claim you know better than someone who tries to help you - so, if you know "that's not true", why are you asking for help? Surely your knowledge is such that you don't need help!

Weird!

Secondly, your time spent looking for a driver for an FX5200 would be much better spent trying to earn the money to buy a better card.

Thirdly, you're likely to find almost the same performance from the latest drivers as you would from any of the older ones. The difference will be on the order of a few percent.

hardcodder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
>No, I'm afraid that's not true when it comes to dx7 & dx8 games

Firstly, WTF? You come on to an enthusiasts forum and ask for help, then claim you know better than someone who tries to help you - so, if you know "that's not true", why are you asking for help? Surely your knowledge is such that you don't need help!

Does the fact that i'm here, and i can post a reply to someone else's post, make me an enthusiast 'that knows better'? Think again. So, why are you asking me to regard everyone else that way?
The fact that i know 'that's not true' does not mean i know the answser to my question, bit it DOES mean i know a wrong answer when i see one...

The fact that you don't answer it either doesn't mean there is no issue there. It only means there is no issue there for you ... You should not critisise others that unfortunately do have that issue. You're not helping this way.

Secondly, your time spent looking for a driver for an FX5200 would be much better spent trying to earn the money to buy a better card.

First, read more carefully. Second, i'm sorry i'm not like you. I apologize for my misfortune. And you don't help this way either.

Thirdly, you're likely to find almost the same performance from the latest drivers as you would from any of the older ones. The difference will be on the order of a few percent.

Now, here's finally something that might qualify as an answer, although from what you say, you seem to be quessing. Might be true though, so thank you for your input. Yet since not all drivers are the same and not every new one is better than the last (especially when it comes to older games) maybe there is someone out there that knows specifically about that.

Try this one :-http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_84.21.html
if it do'nt do the trick go to the archive and work backwards dude. good luck

I'd agree with trying 84.21, I upgraded to latest, and image quality deteriorated during play (whilst FPs increased). Very very odd scenario, went back to my trusty of 84.21 and they worked fine.

However, I (and I suspect mousemonkey) have not tested every driver since then (or before then), I've have found a local maxima of performance if you like, and i have not looked for a higher level of performance.

Will these be best for DX7/8 games? I don't know, will this revision be the best for 98? I don't know. Are you playing D7/8 on XP? there 'should' be no compatability issues (but this is MS).

All in all it is a very difficult question to answer, only those people that have had your card can truely answer it, anone else can have a good guess, but they must also have tried significant numbers of driver revisions, so the pool of people that can answer is shrinking. The tweaking forums for Nvidia cards might be a better place to look as they will looking for every last frame, and will probably have a much better idea, and they end up generating their own drivers on occassions.

BTW posting twice isn't going to win you any friends.

If you'd have said sorry for the dual post, in both of them people wouldn't mind. I'd just spent 5 mins looking at the other post wondering where my reply has gotten to.

hardcodder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Try this one :-http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_84.21.html
if it do'nt do the trick go to the archive and work backwards dude. good luck

I'd agree with trying 84.21, I upgraded to latest, and image quality deteriorated during play (whilst FPs increased). Very very odd scenario, went back to my trusty of 84.21 and they worked fine.

However, I (and I suspect mousemonkey) have not tested every driver since then (or before then), I've have found a local maxima of performance if you like, and i have not looked for a higher level of performance.

Will these be best for DX7/8 games? I don't know, will this revision be the best for 98? I don't know. Are you playing D7/8 on XP? there 'should' be no compatability issues (but this is MS).

All in all it is a very difficult question to answer, only those people that have had your card can truely answer it, anone else can have a good guess, but they must also have tried significant numbers of driver revisions, so the pool of people that can answer is shrinking. The tweaking forums for Nvidia cards might be a better place to look as they will looking for every last frame, and will probably have a much better idea, and they end up generating their own drivers on occassions.

Thanks 13thmonkey, you're right. And i know it's not easy to answer. That's what i was hoping for when i posted this; someone that actually went through it or knows about it from some other source.
If there is someone that happens to read this topic and knows anything about it, please share it.

In the meantime, thank you to all that really contributed. :)

IWantMyMTV

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
I understand your question perfectly, Mr. Hardcodder.

I have a FX 5600 Go in a laptop...not very easy to upgrade whether I'm an enthusiast or not. And I'm not quite ready to sink $2000+ into a 7900 GTX equipped laptop.

And I still love to play some of the older games...System Shock 2, Black and White, etc.

I used 56.77 (3DMark01 8024) drivers for a long, long time. They're still the fastest for my chip. However, they did wierd things to Far Cry so I had to upgrade.

I used 67.03 for a while, and can't remember why I changed.

Next, was 67.66 (3DMark01 7942) which worked well with almost everything...old, new and everything in between.

One glitch in a very wide selection of games and apps...All-Star Weekend in NBA Live 2005 had large, colorful polygons instead of any intelligible display. The actual game was playable...just the Three Point Shot Contest and Dunk Contest were not.

I upgraded to the 84.21 drivers (3DMark01 7000) which solved the NBA problem. Worked perfectly...only 84.21 caused Unreal Tournament and Black and White to become unplayable...and Crimson Skies would hang up at the first scripted event in-flight...additionally, the driver caused an (unmeasured) hit of about 10-15% in frame rates across the board. So much for someone's theory that newer drivers are always better...

I went back to my 67.66 drivers, gave up the NBA All-Star Weekend and couldn't be happier...(Half-Life 2 Episode One and Gun play much better with the 67.66 drivers.)

These forums could be so much more helpful if some people went beyond finding cute avatars and making snide comments...very few of them are actually funny or the humor, at least, might be worth the visit.

Let me know what driver you decided to use.

Note: I still used 3DMark01 (and sometimes 03) because my chip is pathetic at vertex and pixel shading. It does T&L well for a 2003 laptop solution, but offers a very poor implementation of DX9.0c features. I rarely even attempt to use DX9 pipelines in games, and if I do, it's only to show off the game engine because the frame rate is unplayable. So 3DMark01 is more representative of how I use the chip.