Finally figured out my wireless problems.

AJ

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Although I'm a little redfaced over the following, I thought I'd share the experience since it can easily happen.

1) I've had a Netgear WGR614 router/ap for about 2 years. (downstairs)
2) I added 2 wireless PC's (upstairs) a year ago.
3) Over the last 5-6 months, the connection gets dropped occasionally from the PC's (not from a laptop I use downstairs)
4) Lately, the upstairs PC's have had poor reception, more recent drops etc.
5) So I bought a Belkin pre-n and pc cards to upgrade the network.
6) I had tons of problems accessing the Belkin admin screens, and also hated not having logging (like the Netgear), so I returned the Belkin equipment.
7) Today, My sons PC kept loosing connections so we started REALLY trying to get a better signal (built a small parabolic reflector, didn't help), moved his PC - didn't help, moved the router - didn't help.
8 Finally my son (14 yrs old) had an epiphany (maybe we are picking up a different network on the same channel)!!!!
9) My SSID wasn't showing up (I racked it up to lame software, since I was getting a network connection).
10) To test the theory, we unplugged the router, and his throughput IMPROVED !
11) Changed the channel on our Router and now all the PC's have very good or Excellent signal strength. The Parabolic reflector, (made with foam, aluminum foil and scotch tape) really makes my sons PC have a strong signal (only 30ft from router with 2 walls in the way).

Anyway, I thought I would share. The neighbors network is named 'default', so it didn't raise any suspicions seeing that show up with the correct channel etc. I use MAC address security, so the client security settings are the same. We weren't seeing 2 networks, since they both had the same settings (not sure why our SSID wasn't showing up instead of the 'default' one, since we have the strongest signal???)

But I think the issue is resolved and it didn't cost me any $$'s for hardware!

Just thought I'd share.

Later, and Merry Christmas,
AJ

AJ

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Well, it fixed the throughput issue. But now the router is getting warm (now that its actually being used) and its 'going away' every hour or so. I just unplug it and plug it back in and its OK for a while.

Sounds like I need a new router.

Any suggestions on a solid router to plug/play?

Since the router part and logging work real nice, what about a nice AP and I'll just use the Netgear as a firewall/switch?? Then later I can get a serious standalone router/switch?? (the wired connections don't go away, just the wireless)

Give me some ideas, as my son is going crazy.

Thanks,
AJ