CDROM printing on Canon iP4000

I am having problems locating software for printing onto CDROM to use the
feature on the printer.

I have got the Canon iP4000 which has a tray for printing directly onto the
face of a CDROM.
I know you have to have special CDROM media for that.

I have looked in the Canon manual and cannot find any reference on how to
print onto CDROM. Given that the CD is in a special tray, positioning will
have to be exact, and I cannot simply be expected to print out from
Microsoft Publisher and hope to hit the middle of the CD can I?

Is there some software I have not installed, or do I have to obtain the
software to be able to use this feature?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Terry

zakezuke

> > Is there some software I have not installed, or do I have to obtain
> > the software to be able to use this feature?
> >
> You should have CD label Print on a CD you got with printer. It will print
> to cdr's. However, you can use another software, but you must calibrate
> template. If you intend to use Surething CD labeler, you can get template
> from my web page at http://www.protoncek.com

Terry... North Americans don't get this feature. I understand you not
being aware it being perfectly normal to go to your local retail shop
and buying a canon that comes with a tray and CD Label Print . Never
the less the north american version is different in the following ways

1. Power supply - The euro version gets an auto switching one... 100v
to 240v 50 to 60hz.
2. Inner Cover 1. The N.American version gets a piece of plastic
where you get rollers for the tray
3. CD tray and adapter... not in the N.American version
4. Software "CD label print" not included in the N.A. version.

Near as we are aware, this is a patent issue with Philips, and that try
you can get at your local repair shop can be sold on e-bay to North
Americans for two or three times it's value.

ngreplies... here is the helpful info in verbose. I don't know if you
have already enabled cd printing on your printer.

One can download the windows version of cd-label-print from this site
http://cmtw.canon.com.tw/service/upload/driver/00000227/CD-LabelPrint%20.Win.V1.0.2_E.exe
This is the offical software that comes with the printer. It's not
very good but should help get you going.

One can look at info regarding the cd-printing issue on these sites
http://pixma.cjb.net/
http://pixma-faq.cjb.net/

One can download 3rd party software from these sites
http://www.surething.com/ST/ this requires a template from this site
http://pete.mvd2.com/custom_templates.htm
http://www.magicmouse.com/h_discus_detail.html this supports the canon
out of the box in the newer versions
http://www.acoustica.com/cd-label-maker/ Not tried this software
personaly, only reasonly heard of it.

If you download the cd-printing software and try to print to a disc and
it complains that you have "inner cover one open" and refuses to print
onto a disc, hit the pixma faqs to find out how to enable that feature.
If you don't see "printable disc (reccomended) as an option hit the
faqs to edit your registry to refelect you can print onto CDs.

OK so I have finally found it, but disappointed.

I had hoped to be able to apply a general background and then customise the
label accordingly. The Canon EasyPrint utility does not let me freely
arrange the design of the CD as I want it.

Is there any other software which will work with the Canon iP4000 so that I
can lay the design out and print it as I want? I can use Publisher, but it
is a hit and miss effort, and I cannot get the image to fit neatly onto the
design without ink spreading off and all over the CD holder tray due to the
photograph being a square instead of circular.

Thanks

Terry

ngreplies wrote:
> I am having problems locating software for printing onto CDROM to use
> the feature on the printer.
>
> I have got the Canon iP4000 which has a tray for printing directly
> onto the face of a CDROM.
> I know you have to have special CDROM media for that.
>
> I have looked in the Canon manual and cannot find any reference on
> how to print onto CDROM. Given that the CD is in a special tray,
> positioning will have to be exact, and I cannot simply be expected to
> print out from Microsoft Publisher and hope to hit the middle of the
> CD can I?
>
> Is there some software I have not installed, or do I have to obtain
> the software to be able to use this feature?
>
> Thanks in advance for any feedback.
>
> Terry

You should have CD label Print on a CD you got with printer. It will print
to cdr's. However, you can use another software, but you must calibrate
template. If you intend to use Surething CD labeler, you can get template
from my web page at http://www.protoncek.com

zakezuke

> Is there any other software which will work with the Canon iP4000 so that I
> can lay the design out and print it as I want? I can use Publisher, but it
> is a hit and miss effort, and I cannot get the image to fit neatly onto the
> design without ink spreading off and all over the CD holder tray due to the
> photograph being a square instead of circular.

Are you actually able to print to "tray type b" in publisher? If so
you might enjoy this site

http://www.ebinteractive.com/legaldocs.html
http://thepluginsite.com/resources/gizmo/

This would require work, as in you'll have to take the disc image and
make a publisher template based on it... would involve much in the way
of trial and error. I'm not aware of any existing templates for either
Publisher or Photoshop.

Otherwise, work in publisher, save as an image cd print can read, print
in cd print. I already enclosed links to three alternative pieces of
software that are geard tward label printing. That's what i'm
presently doing with photoshop using the templates I linked you to.

Ah, thanks for the link to the program on the CD. I had not thought of
looking there, as I assumed all software was installed in the setup program.

It's not a bad little program, and it will do all that I require of it.
A simple background and then text where I want it.

Terry
"ngreplies" <ngreplies@tdrd.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> I am having problems locating software for printing onto CDROM to use the
> feature on the printer.
>
> I have got the Canon iP4000 which has a tray for printing directly onto
the
> face of a CDROM.
> I know you have to have special CDROM media for that.
>
> I have looked in the Canon manual and cannot find any reference on how to
> print onto CDROM. Given that the CD is in a special tray, positioning will
> have to be exact, and I cannot simply be expected to print out from
> Microsoft Publisher and hope to hit the middle of the CD can I?
>
> Is there some software I have not installed, or do I have to obtain the
> software to be able to use this feature?
>
> Thanks in advance for any feedback.
>
> Terry

If the issue with Publisher is the fact of a square photo vs. round one,
that's an easy problem to resolve. Either use an autoshape and import the
photo into it, or use an autoshape and manipulate the thickness of the
border so that it completely covers the area outside of the cd. I've often
done this for documents I've created. If Publisher (or PagePlus) supports
using "tray type b", which I don't know about either way, then it would be
an excellent application for cd printing. I plan on making a cd tray per
ZZ's instructions. Once that's done, I'll report back with the status of
using Publisher and PagePlus.
--
Ron

"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Is there any other software which will work with the Canon iP4000 so that
>> can lay the design out and print it as I want? I can use Publisher, but
>> it
>> is a hit and miss effort, and I cannot get the image to fit neatly onto
>> the
>> design without ink spreading off and all over the CD holder tray due to
>> the
>> photograph being a square instead of circular.
>
> Are you actually able to print to "tray type b" in publisher? If so
> you might enjoy this site
>
> http://www.ebinteractive.com/legaldocs.html
> http://thepluginsite.com/resources/gizmo/
>
> This would require work, as in you'll have to take the disc image and
> make a publisher template based on it... would involve much in the way
> of trial and error. I'm not aware of any existing templates for either
> Publisher or Photoshop.
>
> Otherwise, work in publisher, save as an image cd print can read, print
> in cd print. I already enclosed links to three alternative pieces of
> software that are geard tward label printing. That's what i'm
> presently doing with photoshop using the templates I linked you to.

MuseOfLife

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I was looking for software to create labels for my CD collection and have tested a lot of products. Some of that programs were complicated, some were difficult to use. I have chosen this CD cover creator and now I’m totally satisfied with it.