Ga-965P-DQ6 F5 Bios available

amarko5

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
well i dunno about you guys but f5 really messed up on the ic8 sata raid controller.

would not kick in the matrix part for me and as such would not see the array i have already built.

i had a bit of bother getting back to a different bios file.

wonder if gigabyte has made a cockup ?

anyone else tried f5 bios yet with a ich8 sata raid array already setup ???

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
well i dunno about you guys but f5 really messed up on the ic8 sata raid controller.

would not kick in the matrix part for me and as such would not see the array i have already built.

i had a bit of bother getting back to a different bios file.

wonder if gigabyte has made a cockup ?

anyone else tried f5 bios yet with a ich8 sata raid array already setup ???

Yup. Me.

I'm using a RAID0 off the ICH8R. I started with the F 2 BIOS, then upgraded to the F 3, then the F 4 and now the F 5 - all without disturbing my array.

Your problem is elsewhere.

amarko5

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
ahh well it must just be me then :lol:

i had issues with the board until they sent me f5a bios from the giga techs

this worked fine ( i thought it was an alpha version of F5 ) so when f5 came out i tried it (several times now) and it will NOT see my existing array. during the boot it sees the drives and states they are reserved for raid controller, but it does not show the matrix controller section in the boot (IE the press ctrl I section ) it just skips over that bit after listing the drives.

wierd indeed ?

i have worked back to f3 then 4 then 5 and still no joy :?

f5a however works fine ???

stranger and stranger ahh well I will stick with 5a until they release f6 :lol: at the rate they are coming out it will be in double figures before xmas.

navek19

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I had one issue with it also but it was a little different. I had a RAID 0 array and it said one drive was a non recognized member of the array, something like that. Turns out when I flashed the board and loaded the optimized settings like advised, I must have not put all the RAID settings back to how they were. Once I went through the settings again, it found it and booted fine.

Just a thought.

amarko5

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I had one issue with it also but it was a little different. I had a RAID 0 array and it said one drive was a non recognized member of the array, something like that. Turns out when I flashed the board and loaded the optimized settings like advised, I must have not put all the RAID settings back to how they were. Once I went through the settings again, it found it and booted fine.

Just a thought.

Thanks navek for the idea, but i did alter the settings after i optimised and also even cleared the cmos and started again. several times.

it just does not like my raid array and i am stuffed if i'm gonna build it all back up from scratch again :wink:

amarko5

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I found the problem yipee it was caused by the sata dvd-rw drive connected on the ich8r controller. the old 1.01 firmware on the ich8r would accept it with no problems.

however the v 1.07 firmware for the ich8r will not aloow the matrix manager to kick in if the sata dvd-rw is connected.

which is a bummer really .

back to the drawing board gigabyte :lol:

fxtl

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
Back to the drawing board, definitely. I can't even flash from f4 to f5, I guess it doesn't like my memory. The first POST after successful flash: the board beeps for error, and then automatically flashes the bios back to f4 from the backup bios. (Fortunately I had upgraded the backup to f4..)

I'm not using the RAID/AHCI features. My memory: http://www.geilusa.com/proddetail.asp?linenumber=74 , overvoltaged to +0.300V, timings 4-4-4-12, as per instructions. No other "overclocking", and the system is stable.

I case someone doesn't know: you can get to the memory timings in bios by pressing Shift (or was it Control)+F1 in the bios main screen. The screen flashes, and then you can get to the timings in the "MB Intelligent Tweaker" submenu. The manual doesn't mention this, and I didn't know it before I had the f4 bios installed. Pre-f4-bioses had memory problems, maybe f5 has reintroduced those problems...

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Back to the drawing board, definitely. I can't even flash from f4 to f5, I guess it doesn't like my memory. The first POST after successful flash: the board beeps for error, and then automatically flashes the bios back to f4 from the backup bios. (Fortunately I had upgraded the backup to f4..)

I'm not using the RAID/AHCI features. My memory: http://www.geilusa.com/proddetail.asp?linenumber=74 , overvoltaged to +0.300V, timings 4-4-4-12, as per instructions. No other "overclocking", and the system is stable.

I case someone doesn't know: you can get to the memory timings in bios by pressing Shift (or was it Control)+F1 in the bios main screen. The screen flashes, and then you can get to the timings in the "MB Intelligent Tweaker" submenu. The manual doesn't mention this, and I didn't know it before I had the f4 bios installed. Pre-f4-bioses had memory problems, maybe f5 has reintroduced those problems...

I had top go back to the F4 bios too. The F5 bios causes PWM fans to run at full speed all the time. My CPU fan is PWM and one of my 120mm case fans is PWM. My machine sounds like a leaf blower when I try to run the F5 bios. I contacted Gigabyte tech support about this - told them how to reproduce the problem, and they told me to go back to the F4 bios.

If you've found another bug in the F5 bios, please do us all a favor and tell Gigabyte so they can fix it.

HERE is the link

fxtl

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
If you've found another bug in the F5 bios, please do us all a favor and tell Gigabyte so they can fix it.

HERE is the link
I'll try, but that web form gives a SQL error :p Their site is also VERY slow. A simple email address would be enough, but I guess they are afraid of spam :roll:

fxtl

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
F6 is out, I managed to upgrade to F6 without problems, although this time I reset the bios settings to defaults also before the update. So I don't know was it this or F6 itself that fixed the problem :roll:

One nasty feature in F6 (and I think this is in all bios versions, I didn't use SATA in ACPI mode before): Windows spins down the hard drives in <i>every</i> reboot, as if the boot isn't slow enough when the SATA ACPI bios is probing the drives.. :p Fortunately Linux (Gentoo with the latest 2.6.18-gentoo-r1 kernel) doesn't do this.