trencin

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
I am curious if the s939 mobo's/CPU's are goin out of market by the end of this year. I heard earlier when AM2 was comin out that s939 will be discontinued and I am wondering if that is true.

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
I am curious if the s939 mobo's/CPU's are goin out of market by the end of this year. I heard earlier when AM2 was comin out that s939 will be discontinued and I am wondering if that is true.
i dont think so, because there are still socket 754 boards around, why would they retire socket 939 first?

S939 Athlons will still be available next year. Production is scheduled to end in December and those CPUs will be shipped out for sale in 2007. I think AMD will increase S939 Athlon prices in Q2 or Q3 2007 to discourage anymore people from buying S939 Athlons.

AMD raised the prices of the Athlon XP to encourage people to move to the S754 Athlon 64.

Mobos will still be available next year probably until Q3 before you start seeing shortages.

CJK79

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
My guess is that 939 will be killed within a year. Now when AM2 is out, there's no reason for AMD to keep working with 939 chips, that is, there's not going to be any new processors for these MB's. But then again, the existing one's will get cheaper and the best of this lot is not that bad.

Wonder how cheap the FX-60 will get..? :p
But I seriously doubt anyone else than existing s939 MB owners will buy these ex-superchips once they hit rock bottom, if they ever do...

i dont think so, because there are still socket 754 boards around, why would they retire socket 939 first?

AMD are not taking any more orders to produce against, so what is in the order book to be made is about all that there is. This was announced earlier this year, not sure if there have been any changes in dates.

As to why 939 and not 754, I don't know. But consider 939 to be not particularly attractive as a new build, and be ready to start buying your last 939 upgrade before ebay is your source. (yes I bought a socket A 3200+ off ebay (got lucky though))

DaBigHurt

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
I think the FX's will be out of stock before they get too cheap. With AMD cutting production, & moving to the 65nm & quad cores, The 939 wont be made anymore they will just sell what they already have, and the last remaining few will be too expensive/old to consider in 07'.

When you "retire" a product it means you wont be producing it anymore, but that doesnt mean that they dont have a crapload of them left.

Not sure if you are replying to me or in general...

Agree with entirely though, there will probably be significant qty's of stock left, but it will tend to be the ones that no-one wants, i.e. poor price performance, poor overclockers, hotter families, low cache etc. The FX's will probably go quickest, but probably after the high numbered X2's with large caches.

I think the rule is, if you want it, and you see it, get it, else it might not be there next time you look. I had that problem in june of last year on my Socket A, sat waiting for stock that never arrived, always 2-3 due in next monday... could have bought the lesser XP's but the barton was the equivelent of the FX I suppose for that socket. Ended up on ebay....

jorberg

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
I'm not sure who would buy them now, especially if you are into gaming, but I don't think they're going away for a while.

DaBigHurt

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
Not sure if you are replying to me or in general...

Agree with entirely though, there will probably be significant qty's of stock left, but it will tend to be the ones that no-one wants, i.e. poor price performance, poor overclockers, hotter families, low cache etc. The FX's will probably go quickest, but probably after the high numbered X2's with large caches.

I think the rule is, if you want it, and you see it, get it, else it might not be there next time you look. I had that problem in june of last year on my Socket A, sat waiting for stock that never arrived, always 2-3 due in next monday... could have bought the lesser XP's but the barton was the equivelent of the FX I suppose for that socket. Ended up on ebay....

I was replying to the thread :) , But yeah, I guess now its the time to get a dual core at a decent price for great performance like the X2 3800+ is.

Just don't exspect to see any new CPU's made for the 939 boards. AMD's main focuse is the AM2 socket now.

Yeah pretty much, they won the 939 war over the Petiums, But its a whole new ballgame with the Core2Duo, and CoreQuads at the end of the year.
AMD is focusing on the future.