A Question about 7600 GS cards

maguszxz

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I have probably been in and out of these forums for quite some time, looking for a new card to upgrade my low-range(but suprisely hard working) Radoen X300 SE. I think I have found the card that fits my very tight price range (50-170). So I found the 7600 GS both retail and Newegg. I have been impressed by some of the numbers in the VGA charts. I looking for a sig improvement in my fps and also, I am not looking to play huge and graphical giant games. Just a few like Company of Heroes and Rise of Legends. Yet, I still have months to go until my predicted and hopeful buying schedule (around Christmas). Here is one I have had my eye on in Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121008

Also, i found a really good one at Best Buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7727454&type=product&id=1138088147244

Anyways, techie guys and gals, help one your brethen out.

Also I think I have the power supply strong enough to run it because my computer is a media center PC

CptCpu

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
The 7600gs is a good card, but the 7600gt is even better and is still in your price range. I think you should have a look at it, for it will definetly give you better proformance in the long run. I will provide you with a link for an XFX card, but you look at the others on NewEgg.

The 7600gs Killer :)

randomizer

Champion
Just about any card is a significant improvement on your X300SE so you dont have to buy the best of the best. But the 7600gt is probably your best bet for fairly high performance (unless you compare it to your x300se, in which case your card gets run over by a semitrailer and crushed under a collapsing bridge) and reasonable pricing.

rr44

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
I bought the Gigabyte 7600 GS , because it was given a technical excellence award by anandtech and I did not have a PCIe video card . It was $105 at Clubit com .

It has no fan and gets hot.

It has not worked from day one . The gigabyte motherboard GA 965P-DQ6 goes in to Reboot Cycling and and the video driver quits in between installs.

The Nvidia Driver on 7600GS CD is v84.21 and is not WHQL. I have downloaded v 91.47 WHQL from the Nvidia site.

It takes a numerous tries after shuting down the computer for at laest 15 minutes to install . But I can't play any Audio or video clip in Wmp or QT.
It Freezes the computer.

Also I can't write from CD drive as a blank cd freezes the computer ? why that happens is not clear because window gives no reason except on reseting I get the blue screen and message and have shut down for 15 minutes.

Window says it is the driver nv4_Disp.dll , which gas gone into infinite loop and asks to remove the offending Hardware or the driver .

I do not know if the gigabyte video board is bad or the nvidia driver , or the gigabyte Motherboard GA 965P-DQ6. I read somewhwere about the rebooting problems while surfing when I was not member . But Now I can't locate the thread or the forum either.

I hope you have a better luck.

Even though I got it on the 9th of sep , I can't return it as I am in the process of miving from here.

Thank you for your Info.

randomizer

Champion
That infinite looping driver thing happened to me when I OCed my video card way too far just for fun (it was only a geforce 4). It could be heat, make sure you have good airflow. Consider getting a fan for the card.

maguszxz

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Ok, I think I am going to with the Geforce 7600 GT. But I have narrowed down to 3 companies, XFX, PNY and Asus. Also, I was talking to my networking professor and he told me to look into some ATI cards. The one card that stuck out was the X1600 Pro 512MB. It a little cheaper and double the memory. But I am kinda wondering if that's like putting a souped up engine in a Jetta. Anyway, give me some help about this card and should I just keep going with the 7600 GT or look at others.

Flopmouth_Fish

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Ok, I think I am going to with the Geforce 7600 GT. But I have narrowed down to 3 companies, XFX, PNY and Asus. Also, I was talking to my networking professor and he told me to look into some ATI cards. The one card that stuck out was the X1600 Pro 512MB. It a little cheaper and double the memory. But I am kinda wondering if that's like putting a souped up engine in a Jetta. Anyway, give me some help about this card and should I just keep going with the 7600 GT or look at others.

Forget the X1600Pro; it's smoked by the 7600GS. I'd go for this XFX 7600GT.

randomizer

Champion
Yea the fact that it has 2x the memory means nothing, the x1600 pro sucks real bad. Theres really no difference at all between 256mb and 512mb at all anyway. Just dont go lower than 256 or you will have problems.

randomizer

Champion
Beats it by a mile, dont even bother with a cheap 512mb. In fact, theres no point bothering with 512mb at all unless you have the money. What you need to look for is a card that has either a 256bit memory interface or a high memory clock to counter a 128bit memory interface (like the 7600gt). DONT ever get a card with less than a 128bit memory interface no matter how high its memory speed is or how much memory it has, it will be a crippled card. A card with 128mb of 256bit memory (like my good old 9800 pro) will almost definitely beat a 512mb 64bit card because although it has 1/4 of the memory, it has 4x the memory bandwidth. That 512mb card would be crippled. Now off the hypothetical stuff and back to reality. Both the 7600gt and x1600 pro have a 128bit memory interface. BUT, the 7600gt has 1400mhz GDDR3 memory and the x1600 pro has only got 784 mhz GDDR2 memory. Also, the 7600 gt has 560mhz core clock and the x1600 pro only has 500mhz core clock. The x1600 pro was never designed as a gamers card and is crippled by slow clocks and inferior RAM. Ive seen reports of it running worse than a 9800 pro (although I find that hard to believe since its a faster card with more pixel and vertex shaders). In conclusion, dont buy the x1600 pro (or the x1600xt since its overpriced) if you want to game.

EDIT: Just to show you how much the x1600 pro sucks, with 2 of them in crossfire (ATI version of SLI) they fall way behind a single older x800gto. Check out the video charts to see the performance of different cards in a few benchmarks. Just be careful to watch for the SLI and CF ones which will have higher scores than a single card.

maguszxz

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
The 7600gs is a good card, but the 7600gt is even better and is still in your price range. I think you should have a look at it, for it will definetly give you better proformance in the long run. I will provide you with a link for an XFX card, but you look at the others on NewEgg.

The 7600gs Killer :)

I think I am going to go with this card and I am already saving up for it. Thanks CptCpu for the advice. This will keep my busy until I built my Grendal Beast.

bazza

Distinguished
May 9, 2004
the fanless version of 7600gs run hot..... dont buy em
if u gonna get a 7600GT, might as well pay 35% more for a 7900GS which is fast enough for the majority of us

7600GT is good but the performance is entry level

maguszxz

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Well, upon checking on my power supply. I discovered that it is 300W. So I cant anything until I address the power supply and I can't address that until I finish paying this computer. That will take me a year at best. Yet, I am not in no hurry. I got a few games that play pretty well on it. I mostly use this for video and DVDs. So I aint in a rush anymore. I might get a Creative Vision M or a Wii.