Epsom Printer Problem

Using an Epson Stylus C86 and a new computer with Windows XP Media
(Athlon 64, 2.39 GHz, 896 Mb Ram), I'm trying to print photos with
Adobe Photoshop 7 (.jpg) and photo collages (.cdr) in CorelDraw 9.

Sometimes they print, and sometimes (more often than not) about 20% of
the image prints and the printer kicks out the paper (glossy photo
stock).

I have printed both types countless times using my old CPU and this
same printer. It was never a problem until I bought the new CPU.

It acts like there is not enough memory to contain the whole image in
the print que. The .cdr file is 26.8 mb and the .jpg is 156 kb. Both
sizes of images printed without a problem with this printer before
upgrading to the new CPU.

To make it more complicated, this is not a "never" situation. I just
printed an 8.5" x 10" .cdr collage that came out fine. Tried to print
a second copy, and 20% of the image printed. Same experience with a
4" x 6" .jpg.

The printing Options are set for the size of the paper ( 4x6 or 8.5 x
10), Glossy Photo Paper, and Photo.

I have the feeling that I've not done something to allocate memory,
but can't figure out where.

Going to Control Panel>Printers & Faxes>EpsomC86>Properties, I see
nothing to change.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 21:32:22 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers Tony Cooper
    <tony_cooper213@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >Using an Epson Stylus C86 and a new computer with Windows XP Media
    >(Athlon 64, 2.39 GHz, 896 Mb Ram), I'm trying to print photos with
    >Adobe Photoshop 7 (.jpg) and photo collages (.cdr) in CorelDraw 9.
    >
    >Sometimes they print, and sometimes (more often than not) about 20% of
    >the image prints and the printer kicks out the paper (glossy photo
    >stock).
    >
    >I have printed both types countless times using my old CPU and this
    >same printer. It was never a problem until I bought the new CPU.
    >
    >It acts like there is not enough memory to contain the whole image in
    >the print que. T

    Not memory, hard spick space. How much free space on your C drive. Delete
    all the files in your temp dir as well,
    ----------
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:51:18 -0400, in comp.periphs.printers Ed Ruf
    <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote:

    >Not memory, hard spick space. How much free space on your C drive. Delete
    hard disk space

    >all the files in your temp dir as well,

    How the spell checker did this is beyond me.

    ----------
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:51:18 -0400, Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 21:32:22 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers Tony Cooper
    ><tony_cooper213@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Using an Epson Stylus C86 and a new computer with Windows XP Media
    >>(Athlon 64, 2.39 GHz, 896 Mb Ram), I'm trying to print photos with
    >>Adobe Photoshop 7 (.jpg) and photo collages (.cdr) in CorelDraw 9.
    >>
    >>Sometimes they print, and sometimes (more often than not) about 20% of
    >>the image prints and the printer kicks out the paper (glossy photo
    >>stock).
    >>
    >>I have printed both types countless times using my old CPU and this
    >>same printer. It was never a problem until I bought the new CPU.
    >>
    >>It acts like there is not enough memory to contain the whole image in
    >>the print que. T
    >
    >Not memory, hard spick space. How much free space on your C drive. Delete
    >all the files in your temp dir as well,

    It's a new CPU with 160 Gigs of free space. Gigs.

    Where would these temporary files be? I'm familiar with temporary
    internet files, but I can't see how that would have anything to do
    with printing images in Adobe Photoshop 7 or CorelDraw.

    --

    Tony Cooper
    Orlando, FL

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:04:37 -0400, Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:51:18 -0400, in comp.periphs.printers Ed Ruf
    ><egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Not memory, hard spick space. How much free space on your C drive. Delete
    > hard disk space
    >
    >>all the files in your temp dir as well,
    >
    >How the spell checker did this is beyond me.

    Check your spellchecker for racial bias.

    --

    Tony Cooper
    Orlando, FL

    "Tony Cooper" <tony_cooper213@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    > It's a new CPU with 160 Gigs of free space. Gigs.
    >
    > Where would these temporary files be? I'm familiar with temporary
    > internet files, but I can't see how that would have anything to do
    > with printing images in Adobe Photoshop 7 or CorelDraw.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Tony Cooper
    > Orlando, FL

    Epson's printer driver makes some rather large temporary files in your
    system's 'Temp' subdirectory.

    It is often C:\Temp, but can easily be redefined (by the user) to be
    virtually any other drive and/or subdirectory.

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 23:17:38 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers Tony Cooper
    <tony_cooper213@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >>Not memory, hard spick space. How much free space on your C drive. Delete
    >>all the files in your temp dir as well,
    >
    >It's a new CPU with 160 Gigs of free space. Gigs.
    >
    >Where would these temporary files be? I'm familiar with temporary
    >internet files, but I can't see how that would have anything to do
    >with printing images in Adobe Photoshop 7 or CorelDraw.

    First, to be clear, these are two completely separate computers you are
    talking about, correct? What OS was the old one that works? How are you
    connecting the printer to each? Did you follow the directions for the
    printer's install procedures or just connect and use add printer? Many
    Epson's have a procedure to install the software first and then connect the
    printer to properly install the Epson USB port software.

    Temp space used for installations and default application swap space
    usually is found in:

    C:\Documents and Settings\XXXXX\Local Settings\Temp, where XXXXX is the
    user's account.

    Also, be sure you defrag your new drive. Even a brand new install will be
    horribly fragmented. The print spoolers like contiguous space.
    ----------
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 05:55:52 -0400, Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 23:17:38 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers Tony Cooper
    ><tony_cooper213@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >

    >>>Not memory, hard spick space. How much free space on your C drive. Delete
    >>>all the files in your temp dir as well,
    >>
    >>It's a new CPU with 160 Gigs of free space. Gigs.
    >>
    >>Where would these temporary files be? I'm familiar with temporary
    >>internet files, but I can't see how that would have anything to do
    >>with printing images in Adobe Photoshop 7 or CorelDraw.
    >
    >First, to be clear, these are two completely separate computers you are
    >talking about, correct?

    Yes. I purchased a new CPU and connected the old peripherals like the
    printer, scanner, monitor, etc.

    > What OS was the old one that works?

    Windows XP on the old, Windows XP Media on the new.

    >How are you connecting the printer to each? Did you follow the directions for the
    >printer's install procedures or just connect and use add printer?

    The printer is connected to LPT1 on this one, and the same on the old
    one. My Epson C86 does not have a USB connection. The printer was
    installed by plug-and-play, but there don't seem to be any specific
    instructions for connecting the printer. The Epsom disk doesn't have
    a printer install program; just a "Frame Factory" and some other
    bundled programs. I did install what there was to install. I also
    checked Epsom for current drivers.

    I have an Iomega Zip Drive that the printer is connected to, which -
    in turn - is connect to the port. I don't use the Zip anymore, but
    I've kept it hooked up in case I need any of the files on the Zip
    disks. The old system had the same configuration.

    >Many
    >Epson's have a procedure to install the software first and then connect the
    >printer to properly install the Epson USB port software.
    >
    >Temp space used for installations and default application swap space
    >usually is found in:

    There is a C:\Windows\Temp file that seems to be installation swap
    space. This file is only 44.3 mb.

    >C:\Documents and Settings\XXXXX\Local Settings\Temp, where XXXXX is the
    >user's account.

    That doesn't exist, but there is a C:\Temp file. Checking properties
    on this file, it's a whopping 2.97 GB with five files. (2 hidden) The
    largest is cdo.iso at 3,118,894 kb.

    Which of these files would be the Temp file used by the printer?

    I can't understand why the C:\Temp file would be so large in this new
    computer. My old CPU (10 Gig HD) would not have been able to handle
    such a large file.

    >Also, be sure you defrag your new drive. Even a brand new install will be
    >horribly fragmented. The print spoolers like contiguous space.

    Haven't done that, but will tonight.

    Let me reiterate that the configuration is exactly the same with the
    new CPU as it was with the old CPU. I bought a new CPU because the
    old one had a small hard drive, no Firewire connections, only two USB
    ports, and something wonky about it that didn't allow me to add
    USB/Firewire cards.

    I also want to reiterate that the printer prints, and sometimes prints
    the .jpgs and .cdr files without a problem. Most of the time it
    doesn't, though. I'm wasting a lot of Epson photo paper finding this
    out.

    Just for the record, I use Photoshop 7, CoreDraw9, a camcorder movie
    program, and QuickBooks primarily. No games. On the net, it's just
    newsgroups and online banking. I also have a USB external hard drive
    in the system.

    Probably too much information, but most questions I see contain too
    little.

    --

    > I have an Iomega Zip Drive that the printer is connected to, which -
    > in turn - is connect to the port. I don't use the Zip anymore, but
    > I've kept it hooked up in case I need any of the files on the Zip
    > disks. The old system had the same configuration.

    This would be my guess as to the problem. I have seen Zip drives interfere
    with printing, especially graphics if the sequence happens to match what the
    zip drive interprets as "its" data. Try removing the Zip drive and any
    associated drivers.

    Regards,
    Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 13:02:57 GMT, in comp.periphs.printers Tony Cooper
    <tony_cooper213@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >Yes. I purchased a new CPU and connected the old peripherals like the
    >printer, scanner, monitor, etc.
    >
    >> What OS was the old one that works?
    >
    >Windows XP on the old, Windows XP Media on the new.
    >
    >>How are you connecting the printer to each? Did you follow the directions for the
    >>printer's install procedures or just connect and use add printer?
    >
    >The printer is connected to LPT1 on this one, and the same on the old
    >one. My Epson C86 does not have a USB connection. The printer was
    >installed by plug-and-play, but there don't seem to be any specific
    >instructions for connecting the printer. The Epsom disk doesn't have
    >a printer install program; just a "Frame Factory" and some other
    >bundled programs. I did install what there was to install. I also
    >checked Epsom for current drivers.
    >
    >I have an Iomega Zip Drive that the printer is connected to, which -
    >in turn - is connect to the port. I don't use the Zip anymore, but
    >I've kept it hooked up in case I need any of the files on the Zip
    >disks. The old system had the same configuration.

    Dump the Zip drive and go into the motherboard bios setup at power up and
    check the parallel port setting. What is it on the old PC and what is it on
    the new one?

    >That doesn't exist, but there is a C:\Temp file. Checking properties
    >on this file, it's a whopping 2.97 GB with five files. (2 hidden) The
    >largest is cdo.iso at 3,118,894 kb.

    I would guess that's an ISO image of a dvd disc, probably your back up
    stuff for the new machine. RTFM for the PC would be my guess.

    >Let me reiterate that the configuration is exactly the same with the
    >new CPU as it was with the old CPU. I bought a new CPU because the
    >old one had a small hard drive, no Firewire connections, only two USB
    >ports, and something wonky about it that didn't allow me to add
    >USB/Firewire cards.

    No it's not the same configuration, just the external connections are the
    same, it's a whole new PC, MB, chipset, OS install, etc. As I mentioned
    above are the parallel port settlings in the bios the same? Even if they
    are try different ones., there should be three different settings,
    standard, bi-directional and EPP. Try EPP to start if not all ready there.
    ----------
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Tony Cooper wrote:

    > It acts like there is not enough memory to contain the whole image in
    > the print que. The .cdr file is 26.8 mb and the .jpg is 156 kb. Both
    > sizes of images printed without a problem with this printer before
    > upgrading to the new CPU.
    >
    > To make it more complicated, this is not a "never" situation. I just
    > printed an 8.5" x 10" .cdr collage that came out fine. Tried to print
    > a second copy, and 20% of the image printed. Same experience with a
    > 4" x 6" .jpg.

    I had a similar problem with my old Epson printer and a new computer.(I
    am making the assumption its a new CPU and mother board that you are
    using) Are you using the parallel or USB?

    My printer would print off to Mac but similar situation to yours off the
    PC. Hence it was not a printer problem. Worked out to be the setting in
    the BIOS should have been set to EPP.

    rm

Printers Photo Peripherals