Dumbguy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2005
I have an unused Athlon XP 3000+ and recently got my hands on an ECS K7 SEM. The board says it supports up to the XP 2600 (or so, not up to the 3000). What does that mean?

Does it mean it won't power up if I put the 3000 in? Or will it power up, but not use the 3000 to it's full potential? Could something be damaged if I tried it?

Thanks...I hope I can use it. I'm trying to piece something together for my boys to play on.

kona

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
It will most likely just simply run it at a slower speed. Like the other guy said find out if your board supports a 333 bus speed and just set the jumpers accordingly. If the board only supports a 266 speed then see if you can set the multiplier in the Bios. The 3000+ was a Barton core and is unlocked so you can change the multiplier to push it back up to 2 Ghz or whatever it was....and maybe more (but still using a 266 bus so performance won't be on par still).

either way, it won't damage the chip. Right now I actually have an XP 1700 running in an old crappy board I pulled from a compaq that originally had a Duron 750 and is running some VIA chipset. The Bios won't allow a 266 bus so it runs it at 200 so that chip clocks in at 1.1 Ghz instead of 1.43 or so. Its better than a 750 Duron though and I only use it for learning linux anyway.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
It's not unlocked in the upward direction, only downward... at least, not all of them are unlocked. Some of the early 2500's were unlocked, for example, but they all became locked in later production runs, and I would bet the 3000+ is locked too.

Also, is this 3000+ a 400fsb, or 333? There are both versions, not that is will matter much, other than it's multiplier value.

The only possible cause for concern at this point is if the board will support the core voltage required for the 3000+, which is probably in the neighborhood of 1.65-1.75v.

Looks like there are 3 versions of that board, so find out which one you have and then download the manual, and get the latest bios as suggested above.

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Downloads/Category_Download.aspx?Categoryid=1&MenuID=35&LanID=9

You can also check for cpu support, but official support isn't always critical if you can set the bus speed manually. But, it looks like all 3 versions of the board only goes up to 266 (133), so unless you can overclock the bus you won't be able to get it back up to 3000+ speeds.

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Support/CPU_Support.aspx?MenuID=48&LanID=9

kona

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
AI was unaware that the upper Athlon XP's were locked or became locked because in fact that Barton core I was/am running is in fact an XP 2500+ and I can change the multiplier upward and downware so I assumed the others could change upward as well....learned something new. I have an XP 2500+ Barton running as a 2700+ plus right now infact. Thats why I thought he could change the multiplier. And true...it could be a 400fsb proc too...they started doing that I noticed.

TRENDING THREADS