WAY HIGH memory prices!

mathias8888

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
im buying a new rig and im looking for some ram's but the prces are just way of the board!! somebody must have pushed a butten that said "blow up all ram factories on the planet" caus this is just just crazy :D with that said all i wanna know is if anybody know if the prices are going to fall anytime soon?

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I'm with you on this one man. I was looking at memory about a month or 2 ago and a 1gb of DDR2 was like $60-70!! Got my MOBO this week, went to look at the RAM and was lke 8O

mathias8888

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
i know its way out! i wonder if the prices are so high because there's coming a ddr3 platform... well idont know.. but if anyone does PLEASE REPLY!! and if the prices are gonna go down again!?

Exterous

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
The prices are high because the demand is huge. With AM2 and now C2D out people/OEMs are buying more DDR2 sticks than ever before. Supply and Demand. The price will go down when the demand does or the companies start over-producing DDR2 ram sticks.

flasher702

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
They aren't dropping anytime soon.

Some RAM chip manufacturers are refitting some nand-flash production to DDR2 which should prevent any further price increases, but demand is expected to pick up as well with C2D and AM2 both using DDR2 and Vista requiring more memory. Pretty sure that unless something drastic happens DDR2 prices should remain stable through the end of 2007 when more DDR2 production comes online.

http://digitimes.com/510.asp

In the meanwhile, you may wish to turn a shrewd eye towards eliminating bloated, memory-gobbling applications from your computer *cough*vista*cough*cough* and buy less RAM. I'm a little disapointed that I seem to have missed the boat on cheap DDR2 RAM, looks like I'll just keep using my DDR for a little longer. Huxely is supposed to be out "within 2007", hopefully I can find a good deal on DDR2 shortly after it is released if it turns out I need faster RAM.

2Q 2007 looks to be the earliest to hope for a drop in DDR2 prices.

dreams411

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
I had my eye on some Corsair memory (2GB of DDR2) and I saw the price jump $60 in two weeks. Now that's supply and demand in action! 8O :D

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Bleh, next time I go back to China, I'll drop by the nearest memory manufacturer and pocket some DDR2 memory. Then I could also pick me up some pirated copies of vista =)

I <3 China.

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
im buying a new rig and im looking for some ram's but the prces are just way of the board!! somebody must have pushed a butten that said "blow up all ram factories on the planet" caus this is just just crazy :D with that said all i wanna know is if anybody know if the prices are going to fall anytime soon?

It seems to me that these price hikes never last for long. It just takes one or two suppliers to drop prices in order to undercut the competition and then the whole price war starts all over again. I'm hoping that this is the case once again. Not for my sake - I'm OK with one gig for now, but for the friends and family who ask me to build computers for them.

Maybe you can find somebody on ebay selling RAM at last month's deflated prices...

hcforde

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
When I heard of the spec on the Conroe and the low price I knew that there would be a run on RAM. So I picked up 2 gigs @ $150 BEFORE the attached $50 rebate 2 weeks before the C2D's were available It is rated at 4-4-4-11 @ 533 & 667 I am running it at 400Mhz (5-5-5-15)for 3.2Ghz on my E6400. I am a happy camper

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Even DDR prices are quite high. I bought my current RAM (2x512 DDR 400) in January for about $90 CAD. I check the same store to buy RAM for a friend and the exact same sticks are now $120 CAD! 8 Months later and the price has increased by 33%!

eckre

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
wow, you're right. 1 month ago, Aug 14, to be exact, I paid $135 for 2GB of DDR ram, OZC, and now it's exactly $100 more, $235. ouch. sucks to be you. this is the first time my impatience has paid off.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
When I used to work for Directron, we had a contract to build 4000 computers for a school district. We built the first batch of computers at near price or very slight profit, and shipped/delivered them. The next batch would be built in another couple of months, and by then prices of nearly everything would drop, except for memory. Apparently the price of memory depends on the geo-political structure of south-east Asia where they are all manufactured (DAMN YOU THAILAND AND YOUR COUP) and market demand. So we could count on CPU's, HDD's, mobo's, graphics card to decrease in order to gain more profit, but memory was always a variable cost. It has been, and always will be.

JohnnyBoy79

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
Yes, I too am very annoyed. I have been planning a new build for a month now. I have always planned to order the parts at the end of this month. However, I have been forced to rethink everything because these RAM prices are screwing my budget. Even just a couple of days ago I had everything set within my budget. I had found some Crucial RAM that could fit my budget, now even that has gone up £45! I just can't win!

Next weekend is my deadline, I am ordering then at the latest. I am thinking now that either my budget is going to have to be raised or the performance of my new build is going to have to drop. Neither is what I want to do.

To be honest, what annoys me the most if the percentage increase we have suffered. If I saw it going up slowly or if I knew what was going to happen I would have ordered the RAM eariler.

i know its way out! i wonder if the prices are so high because there's coming a ddr3 platform... well idont know.. but if anyone does PLEASE REPLY!! and if the prices are gonna go down again!?

Come on guys, I remember when I paid $100 per MEG.......memory prices are pretty darn reasonable these days, even if they have gone up in last few weeks.

mathias8888

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
well bacause of the huge jump in prices the past weeks i decided to order half the ram that i originaly wanted.. and the crasy thing about this is that just 2 weeks ago i could hava had the double for almost the same price!

so.. go to hell corsair :p

kaleb_zero

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2005
Memory prices will dipp down - possibly lower than they were before, shortly. A few of the bigger Teir1 manufacturers, namely samsung and Infineon, are in the process of switching some of their DDR2 fabs over to 80nm memory production (a smaller pruduction process that should yeild more memory per wafer/higher performance and better prices for consumers), and switching some of their DDR1 fabs over to DDR2 at the same time - all of this has caused a bit of a hickup in availability. Prices should even out by the end of the year, and could be even lower there-after.

bulkypc07

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
memory companies looks like earnin lots of money nowadays :twisted:
i think i need to build my own factory of memories also to earn moneys :lol:
LOL

guruboy

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
Yeah I have a personal experience in this subject. I bought some nice DDR2 RAM only 3 weeks ago for $220 (with a $40 rebate, thank you Newegg) and suddenly only days later it jumped to $320. Insanity!

davelakecity

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Hi,
You said something about getting ram in China.
My father is going there in about 10 days.
Shanghai area.
Any ideas on where he can get ram? How to go about it.
Thanks,
Dave