Core2 6400
Asus P5B
2Gb Corsair XMS DDR2 6400
WD SE 16 2500KS 250 SATA HDD
NEC IDE DVD RW 3550A
ATI X1900 AiW
Antex Truepower Trio 550W PS
Coolermaster Centurion Case

Everything went together fairly smoothly and for a first time build, I was quite proud of myself even. Until I pressed power. It didn't explode, which was nice. However, it would not POST. The error code was one long beep followed by two short beeps, which is not mentioned in the manual. So, I have no idea if its hardware, or if I fried something or what. When I get home tonight I'm going to check all my connections, maybe take out components and put them back in, then try it again before I take it to a hardware place to see if I indeed fried something. Any suggestions of things to try would be greatly appreciated.

Wiz33

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Depending on how old the BIOS is on the P5B you may need to flash the BIOS in order for it to recongnize the Conroe chip. If you take it to the hardware place, see if they have any other socket 775 cpu available and try that first. If it boot then all you need is to flash the BIOS, then it should be fine with the Conroe.

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
one long beep and two short usually means video error.
its not a very dependable diagnostic procedure but a good starting point.
make sure all your powers are connected and the card is securely seated.
the latest bios is need as stated above.

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
perhaps.
the X1900 series takes enough power that it might not boot to warn you like the earlier cards did.
just cover your bases before you condem a component and then panic.

powerfulpiggypits

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
Yeah, I went home and started unplugging and replugging things in. Apparently, I didn't have the RAM seated completely. Once I fixed that the system started without problems.

Everytime I start it up though I get an Intel ucore error. Any idea what this means? I've been able to load the OS, although I haven't tried getting into BIOS yet to tweak it. I was planning on flashing it first.

Thanks for your input.

Wiz33

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
The uCode loading error is nothing to worry about, it just means that the Conroe chip is not in the BIOS database. Once you updated the BIOS, it'll go away.