So i think i`ve knackered my sound blaster.....

browndog23

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
By swapping out the speaker lead and putting in my wireless headphone unit. It made a funny noise then the computer crashed and now only 2 of the 4 speakers work.

As i think i need a new soundcard could someone tell me if theres a soundcard which would allow me to keep my wireless headphone unit plugged in as well as my speakers? This would mean i wouldn`t be swapping them around all the time? Is there a card with two sockets or even better, an adaptor?

Bare in mind i have a Creative sound system with a sub and 4 speakers. cheers for any advice :)

krfan1

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
Sounds to me like the sound card needs to be reseated. That happened to me long ago when I was switching to my headphone jack all the time (hence why I bought an Audigy Platinum--The drive in front) I would try opening up your PC, take out the sound card and put it back in.

As to why your speakers don't work, I don't know. Are you sure all the connections on your speakers are good? How about the adaptor that plugs into the sub? (my old Altecs had that problem if the DIN was a little loose)

krfan1

browndog23

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
Thanks, yeah i`ve reseated it to no avail. The connections to the sub are all fine, everything was working up until it went all crazy on me and it crashed! 8O

krfan1

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
You try putting the sound card in another PCI slot? (assuming you have one). Other than that, you may be right

Some place like Radio Shack or Best Buy should have an adaptor you're looking for. My firned has a Y-cable like the one you desire.

When I had your problem, I bought one of these:
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=soundblaster+platinum&category0=

Of course, I also wanted a SB Audigy (had a Live! at the time) Nor did I want the signal degradation of having a Y cable split the signal in half. I would presume by using the Y cable, your speakers won't be able to go as loud from the signal being cut in half by the cable.

krfan1

Gneisenau

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
You do have the option to get a speaker system with a headphone jack in the volume controller.

My Kliptch 5.1 has that. I love it. It makes it easy to switch between speakers and headphones.

But if you don't want to spend money for a new speaker system, I am not sure what you can do.

Trying a "Y" connector is cheap, but I fear it will be unsatifactory.

NeonDeon

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Are those the ProMedia Ultra 5.1 System speakers?

And to the poster yeah I would buy new speakers and a Sound card. Just like the above reply said. They may be the last speakers your buy for your system...