Sign in with
Your question

What are your CPU temps underload from prime.

Last response: in Overclocking
September 21, 2006 7:45:46 PM

For watercooled systems please only report your temps after 1 hour or more... This will give you a chance to warm up the water... and NO ICE:) 

I get 40-42c

I am running a Core2Duo x6800 at (edit) 1.3625v and a 12 Multiplier 266FSB... it hits 40c:( 

All other settings are set to wusys guide as best as they can be (p5b basic)

I am afraid that this is really bad for a water cooled system...

Mike
September 21, 2006 8:13:54 PM

Well if your CPU is actually at 3.625v I would say it's toast soon! But otherwise, 40c after over an hour in prime for a x6800 doesnt seem too bad. You have to remember that *low end* water cooling is about on par and sometimes not as good as *higher end* air cooling.

What kind of water kit are you running?
September 21, 2006 8:35:58 PM

Running SP2004 max temp is 44ºc..

What are you using to read the temps?
Related resources
September 22, 2006 4:39:11 AM

I'm running an E6300 @ 3.29Ghz with the Zalman CNPS9500LED (fan controller set to about 50%) and Arctic Silver 5 and Core Temp reports 50 Degrees C on both cores after six hours of dual-primes. It's 24 Degrees C in the room at the moment.
September 22, 2006 1:37:01 PM

Quote:
Well if your CPU is actually at 3.625v I would say it's toast soon! But otherwise, 40c after over an hour in prime for a x6800 doesnt seem too bad. You have to remember that *low end* water cooling is about on par and sometimes not as good as *higher end* air cooling.

What kind of water kit are you running?

I am definately having problems with my water cooling kit... and I will have them fixed after the weekend... The problems I have are due to flow rate... the issue is that low end flow rates cause the water to sit in the waterblocks for a long time... this can cause the temp of the water to heat up... It is actually GOOD to have a slow flow rate on your radiator... but I have no idea how you could practicly have a slow rate on your radiator and I high rate on your CPU blocks... Anyways, I put a flowmeter on that is probably the bigest restriction on my system... I have a feeling that it is such a restriction that the machine has an incredibly low flowrate... I will know by weeks end...

1.3625v... sorry:)  MT
September 25, 2006 9:05:22 PM

E 6400 with TT Big Typhoon and ARCTIC V @3.2 on a p5b premium

1 hour into Prime intensive 46 C (highest I've ever seen)

woot you really don't need water for most c2d overclocks, most, not all.
September 26, 2006 1:07:44 AM

If you wouldnt mind... what motherboard are you using? And are you running two or one instance of prime torture test?
September 26, 2006 1:16:24 AM

I ran one instance, I should run two and see what happens it's an Asus p5b Premium. Although when I was running prime I was also torrenting, surfing, using Itunes, etc. I never let the cores chill out or anything. It certainly wasn't running solo.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 26, 2006 2:08:47 AM

Remember you have to run each instance on a different core, not on the same one. I go 73C on my e6600 on stock cooler, no OC doing that. I only ran for about 30s and the I stopped so I didnt burn up lol
September 26, 2006 2:11:59 AM

You got to create a shortcut then add a toggle param... got to read the instructions for I forgot how to do it... Also I dont think Prime runs at 100% unless you use the torture test setting:) 

The readme file tells you how to do it... its just a bit crazy... No guides on this site helps users do it... Not even wusy's guide...

I think some people are going to get unreliable or overclocked machines because they dont test them right... and then in a year or two they die on them... and they say... geeze, I wonder what happened...

It be all cool as long as you get in before the 3 year warrenty... and Intel doesnt figure it out... and if you didnt post your whole name all over the internet telling how you overclocked the hell of your machine...

Mike
September 26, 2006 2:16:49 AM

Quote:
Remember you have to run each instance on a different core, not on the same one. I go 73C on my e6600 on stock cooler, no OC doing that. I only ran for about 30s and the I stopped so I didnt burn up lol

Is that with the default bios settings?
I mean that you didnt disable all the features in wusys guide?

I think I need wusy to confirm some things about OCing... that temp is hot... How can we use PRIME95 to test a machine when using it with these settings ultimately lead it to such high temps... I have used so many stability tests, yet nothing warms up the machine like prime with a "/t /An" (I think)

BTW. I feel better... Im running under 55c with 2 instances, after 2 hours with my x6800 p5b (basic) on stock settings... Water temp hits around 93f

Mike
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 26, 2006 2:18:08 AM

Or he culd just copy the folder and run both...
September 26, 2006 2:20:24 AM

Quote:
I'm running an E6300 @ 3.29Ghz with the Zalman CNPS9500LED (fan controller set to about 50%) and Arctic Silver 5 and Core Temp reports 50 Degrees C on both cores after six hours of dual-primes. It's 24 Degrees C in the room at the moment.

Something cant be right... are you using the /t on prime95?

That sounds DAMN cold....
September 26, 2006 2:24:35 AM

Quote:
Or he culd just copy the folder and run both...

I think you need the "/t" if you want to get a real test... I think the regular prime is set up to be run as a backup program, and so it doesnt go full force, without the param it will interact with the web... which will cool the chip...

I dont know what test requirements wusy means in his guide to overclocking... hes not very clear at the exact nature of these tests... or how to run them...

BTW. If I change my FSB by +/- 1 on any setting Prime will fail immediately... I just love Asus support for the P5B Basic... god damn F#@$@!Q's
September 26, 2006 2:51:41 AM

Quote:
I am running a Core2Duo x6800 at 3.625v and a 12 Multiplier 266FSB... it hits 40c:( 

(later edit):

1.3625v... sorry:) 

Is your temp measurement off by a proportional amount?

Quote:

Am I the only one NOT surprised?
September 26, 2006 3:05:30 AM

Quote:
It is actually GOOD to have a slow flow rate on your radiator... but I have no idea how you could practicly have a slow rate on your radiator and I high rate on your CPU blocks...

I think you're in over your head...

FYI, it is possible to have a different flow rate in the water block than the radiator (hint: one water block, two radiators and a split flow) but I think you're worried about something that's not a big issue. I doubt that excessive flow is causing your perceived heat problem.
September 26, 2006 4:19:43 AM

I actually did run it on torture test for about 9 hours.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 26, 2006 5:13:53 AM

I didnt run it with the /t but still ran a torture test with small in-place FFTs and thats how I got 73C. I ran two instances by copying the folder and opening it up twice, before I realised I was supposed to use a shortcut with the -An parameter. Both ways work tho. Also remember I got that temp without OCing. It would have gone higher If I hadnt stopped prime95. Remember guys with the low load temps to set each instance to run on a different core (ie. one on "cpu 0" and one on "cpu 1"). I believe the setting is under Advanced -> Affinity.

EDIT: 2 instances without this setting different on both will result in 100% load on only one core.
September 26, 2006 6:32:33 AM

Asus M2NPV-VM
Sempron 3000+ (@ HTT209 = 1672core)
Stock AMD cooler
1GB(2*512) Corsair ValueSelect DDR2-667 @5-5-5-15-18
au$50 shitty ATX9001 case
shitty 320W psu that came with the case (single 80mm output fan)
250gb samsung 8mb sata2
no other cooling fans or anything fancy
Cool'n'quiet enabled on mobo (although semprons don't support it, apparently)

ran Prime95 for 2+ hours (case closed), rebooted, and looked in the bios temp monitor. (anyone know good temp monitoring software for win2k???)
30degC cpu
35degC mobo
room temp 23degC
(although the northbridge was about 50degC, damn onboard geforce6150.)
September 26, 2006 2:22:09 PM

Quote:
It is actually GOOD to have a slow flow rate on your radiator... but I have no idea how you could practicly have a slow rate on your radiator and I high rate on your CPU blocks...

FYI, it is possible to have a different flow rate in the water block than the radiator (hint: one water block, two radiators and a split flow) but I think you're worried about something that's not a big issue. I doubt that excessive flow is causing your perceived heat problem.
Yep, look at what Phreejak said in this thread. It's like aircooling, the faster the better.

I'm always in the hunt for cheaper, more powerful pumps.

Wow, I am not going to defend my statement here... this is way off topic and is not helpfull to this thread...

From the quote I read this is a characteristic move for clueless... He pulls out statements from other threads too try and discredit an individual. If that individual defends himself, the thread becomes highjacked, and useless. This happens over and over again. Everything thread he gets involved in breaks down into useless chatter with no purpose. It is sad that Tomshardware forums must be like this...

If you would like to have a discussion about different aspects/physics of watercooling topic please goto...

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...

Also please visit; For I really need some help.
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na...

I also do not engage in discussions with clueless and I didnt see, nor will I, read his statements because he is ignored.
----------------
Back on topic,

This thread mentions some temp monitoring programs
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/progz-monitor-s...

By the time the machine restarts, The temp would drop...

Without a supply of heat the numbers fall FAST!
----------------

Id really like to hear more statements of temps... I am amazed at the varied results seen here. The stock Core2Duo cooler is very good, and I know that other aircoolers are really amazing.

I have no Idea how someone could overclock their machine then run prime95 with sub 60c temps. The core 2 duo got an aluminum top to it, did you remove this?

Can anyone else verify that they are running 2 instances of prime95 with "/t" and getting sub 60c with aircooling.

BTW; Ive run a few other stress tests, and have never seen the same abuse prime95 throws at you...
September 26, 2006 2:51:50 PM

Quote:

Yep, look at what Phreejak said in this thread. It's like aircooling, the faster the better.

Wow, I am not going to defend my statement here... this is way off topic and is not helpfull to this thread...

From the quote I read this is a characteristic move for clueless... He pulls out statements from other threads too try and discredit an individual.

So, Jelly, look at my statement above and show me exactly what statement I pulled from another thread... Answer: there ain't none! So are you telling a lie or are you merely incorrect?

Quote:
Everything thread he gets involved in breaks down into useless chatter with no purpose.

Wanna make a little bet about that statement? Put your money where your mouth is.

Quote:
It is sad that Tomshardware forums must be like this...

I agree. as soon as you quit spraying lies about me, the forum will be greatly improved. Also, go pick up one of those little books that explains basic troubleshoting concepts. The solutions to your problems will be found inside.

Quote:
I also do not engage in discussions with clueless and I didnt see, nor will I, read his statements because he is ignored.

You keep saying such BS, then keep spraying lies. Are you an ostrich?

Quote:
[The core 2 duo got an aluminum top to it, did you remove this?

Where do you come up with this crap? Oh, I forgot - you openly promote doing things that void warranties, then making a warranty claim right before expiration. Nice philosophy...
September 26, 2006 3:02:45 PM

Hey Wusy, what are your numbers?

You wrote the guide, and have a watersystem... How do you suggest we test our systems? your overclocking guide is very good, but it is not specific to what settings we need to use for Prime95. Do you know if the "/t" setting makes a difference?

Provide us with some information... I think allot of people, including myself, needs to understand acceptable prime95 temps. Its so important because we need to make sure we dont fry something,

I cant seem to find a single good reference too what others are receiving as with Prime95. Its hard to tweak and/or understand my watercooling systems performance without this information.

Its also hard to get this information without multiple people reporting multiple results... I want a reliable reference, but I dont seem to find one...

Its also difficult for me to do anything because the Asus P5B basic is such a poor motherboard. I wouldnt doubt that my temps are higher then normal because of the poor bios.

Mike
September 26, 2006 3:17:48 PM

[forum dog]w00f, mornin ther!

Quote:
I think allot of people, including myself, needs to understand acceptable prime95 temps. Its so important because we need to make sure we dont fry something

Yer anwser:
Quote:
-In CoreTemp, TCaseMax of 85C is the figure, when reached, is when Intel's stated 60.1C will be reached for actual temperature because beyond that stage the processor will throttle. This is what TM2(Themal Monitor2) was designd for, a trigger at 60.1C and not a monitor. (Both CoreTemp and TAT were designed around TM2, 85C was used for CoreTemp because of compatibility with other processors besides C2D)

-Due to the above reason it's impossible(without external heating) to reach beyond 60.1C (actual temperature) for C2D

-When the same progam is used to measure temperature, multiplier factor is rarely inaccurate(as long as CoreTemp/TAT doesn't malfunction) and so by comparing delta of idle-load is valid. It's why it's used in the C2D OC guide.
I'r get tat lazah foker to add that into his guide l8r

[/forum dog]

w00f w00f [/out]
September 26, 2006 10:01:38 PM

Here you go, stock voltage on this run E6400 at 2.6ghz

Got it running at 3.2ghz at 1.3v and the temps didnt change under load.
September 27, 2006 12:33:05 AM

Quote:
[forum dog]w00f, mornin ther!

I think allot of people, including myself, needs to understand acceptable prime95 temps. Its so important because we need to make sure we dont fry something

Yer anwser:
Quote:
-In CoreTemp, TCaseMax of 85C is the figure, when reached, is when Intel's stated 60.1C will be reached for actual temperature because beyond that stage the processor will throttle. This is what TM2(Themal Monitor2) was designd for, a trigger at 60.1C and not a monitor. (Both CoreTemp and TAT were designed around TM2, 85C was used for CoreTemp because of compatibility with other processors besides C2D)

-Due to the above reason it's impossible(without external heating) to reach beyond 60.1C (actual temperature) for C2D

-When the same progam is used to measure temperature, multiplier factor is rarely inaccurate(as long as CoreTemp/TAT doesn't malfunction) and so by comparing delta of idle-load is valid. It's why it's used in the C2D OC guide.
I'r get tat lazah foker to add that into his guide l8r

[/forum dog]

w00f w00f [/out]

ok, I consider myself rather educated in computers... Having worked with them for 20 years, and getting a 4 year degree in MIS at RIT... But I must say....

WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN! Thats not in English, thats in Acronym hell... with a very high degree of computer engineering that only the most crazy can understand... Unfortunately I dont consider myself a IT guy... just a crazed programmer... and the IT guys I do know wouldnt understand that...

So can someone translate that?
September 27, 2006 4:30:48 AM

Quote:

It translates as:

You've been hijacked again!!!

(and you didn't even know it!)
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 27, 2006 6:25:08 AM

Quote:

It translates as:

You've been hijacked again!!!

Oh, snap!

Some expansion needed here tho:
Quote:

That was so small and in such a bad colour it was hard to read, which I'm guessing was the point.

EDIT: Hmmm... the original quote expanded it for me, oh well.
September 27, 2006 12:56:24 PM

Im not going to respond to your quote... and I have long since ignored clueless for this behavior... I would like to hear otherpeoplese CPU temps...

Mike
September 27, 2006 1:34:38 PM

ASUS doesn't suck when it comes to AMD, that's the first thing that I want to say. I have a lousy A8N-E (worth 99$) that I overclocked 20% without a single problem (works like a charm for ~6 months overclocked like this).

Second, in this topic, I'll post my CPU temps:

36C IDLE
47C Full Load (2-3 Hours of 3DMark2005 & StressPrime).

When not overclocked, max temp is 45C Full Load.

AMD rulez :) 
September 27, 2006 1:42:42 PM

readings from "coreTemp"

under stress 66C
idle: 50

zalman 9500
120mm front fan (intake)
waiting for my rear fans to come in tomorrow along with 2 40mm fans for the chipsets
80mm side fan (intake)
80mm top (out)
September 27, 2006 2:11:11 PM

oc'd p4 3.2~3.5 and i hit about mid 50's, 54,55,56 nothing above 60 though
September 27, 2006 2:11:13 PM

Quote:
readings from "coreTemp"

under stress 66C
idle: 50

zalman 9500
120mm front fan (intake)
waiting for my rear fans to come in tomorrow along with 2 40mm fans for the chipsets
80mm side fan (intake)
80mm top (out)

i am geting high temps with the zulmana as well i reinstalled the heatsink several times using less and less AS5 got the best results with only a small pea sidezed dab.

i am runing 266X13 1.375 volt 6800ex

temps are 63-64 under full prime load
IDL- 45-46

futuremark 06 8876 score
September 27, 2006 2:12:54 PM

OCed to 2.5GHz, 38c no-load, 55c P95 on both cores 2+ hrs, as read from Abits monitoring software.
Air cooling with a SH!T load of fans :lol: 
September 27, 2006 2:37:17 PM

Quote:

ever considered aquarium pumps? im not into water cooling myself, but i have a few aquariums, and in some of them I use water pumps called "powerheads" to operate filters or to make a bit of current in the tank (makes the fish happy).

powerheads can come in a few different forms. 90% of them are submergable and others can be operated outside a tank (if you get one make sure you know which type is it). They range from small to huge. Small pumps flowing around 1000 litres an hour and large ones to over 3200 litres an hour.

i have some noname brand powerhead pump i bought on ebay a year or two ago which came with all sorts of fittings for hoses etc, and it flows 2500 litres an hour. theyre also quiet (model depending). Theyre also quite cheap.

i was once apon a time building my own water cooling system which comprised of a radiator, a water reservoir and powerhead. the powerhead wouldve sat sumerged inside the reservoir. It was a bulky crappy project that never eventuated because the celeron i had overclocked overheated and died before i finished it

i wouldnt be surprised if someone has already had this idea but if not its food for thought
September 27, 2006 2:41:39 PM

840 3.920Ghz @ 1.45vcore got 33c idle and 38c prime95 100% load on 30c-ish room temp. Thanks to my super cooling triple 120mm radiator that sports 6 120mm fans.

September 27, 2006 3:12:14 PM

Quote:
ViaAqua 2600, 740GPH @7.5feet head is the pump I will be using now.

In case you haven't realised, I've been digging AC pond pumps(used as in-line instead of submerged) for many years... Hydor, Ehiem, ViaAqua, Iwaki, Hozelock, etc.
They are the name any watercooling expert should be familair with regarding to AC pumps.

no hadnt realised how silly of me. ive had 2 failures with ehiem external canister filters and have no confidence in them anymore (dispite what the quariums mags etc say) and now were off topic! whoops!
September 28, 2006 12:09:10 AM

My Rig:

Asus P5ND2-SLI
Pentium D805 @ 3.3GHz 1.3875v
Koolance Exos
1Gb Unbranded DDR2
Asus EN6600 Silence
350w Unbranded PSU

35oC Idle
46oC Load (Prime95 2hours+)

Slowly upgrading the parts that need to be as i get more money!
September 28, 2006 2:18:12 AM

After 2 hrs of Prime 95 running torture test set to 'In-place large FTTs' Everest reports my CPU diode temp to be 50C, and my CPU temp to be 43-44C.

This is with a stock heatsink and room temp is 25C.
September 28, 2006 2:59:58 AM

Quote:
For watercooled systems please only report your temps after 1 hour or more... This will give you a chance to warm up the water... and NO ICE:) 

I get 40-42c

I am running a Core2Duo x6800 at 3.625v and a 12 Multiplier 266FSB... it hits 40c:( 

All other settings are set to wusys guide as best as they can be (p5b basic)

Mike
That can't be right; 3.625 volts would fry any modern CPU in a split second.
September 28, 2006 2:58:55 PM

Quote:
That can't be right; 3.625 volts would fry any modern CPU in a split second.

This was a typo I made and corrected myself when it was pointed out to me... I now have changed my orriginal post to reflect the correct number Im using
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 29, 2006 3:49:14 AM

I dont think any motherboard could possibly deliver 3.65V vcore anyway lol.
!