Sign in with
Your question

new build won't power up

Last response: in Systems
September 21, 2006 8:09:54 PM

mobo is the ECS Elite Group nforce 570 slit-a. After playing with the 24 pin power connector it did start up, but no post. I turned it off and now it will not turn back on.

Any suggestions?

My memory is in the 2 purple slots.

Would it matter or hurt anything if I made the power connector 20 pins instead of 24?

Thanks!

Eddie

More about : build power

September 21, 2006 8:32:23 PM

Did you test your power supply to be sure its sending the power_good signal, if not pick up an antec power supply tester. If the power supply is good try jumping out the case power switch. If none of that works start removing components one by one unitl it powers up
September 21, 2006 10:34:19 PM

Quote:
Did you test your power supply to be sure its sending the power_good signal, if not pick up an antec power supply tester. If the power supply is good try jumping out the case power switch. If none of that works start removing components one by one unitl it powers up

2 questions: without a power supply tester is there anything else I can do to test it? And what does it mean to "jump out the power switch"?

When I plug the PSU into the outlet the lights on the keyboard flash for a moment...is this a good sign?

One of the reviews on this mobo said this: "Couldn't get the board to boot, except once after resetting the CMOS jumper". How do I reset the CMOS jumper? I mean, I know how to take the jumper off, but what do I do to reset it? Place the jumber in the reset position and then turn on the system, then put it back to the default setting?
Related resources
September 22, 2006 1:10:48 AM

NOOOO! Never turn on a system with the CMOS Jumper in the reset position! It can destory the motherboard. With the system powered OFF, remove the jumper from pins 1-2 (default) to 2-3 (reset). Count to 15 and move it back to 1-2 (Default) and power the system.
September 22, 2006 2:07:24 AM

I got the green led light in the front to go on, but nothing else. I unplugged everything except the 24 pin and 4 pin connectors. Do I have to remove all components, too? Or just unplug them? Do I have to remove the CPU as well or should that stay in?
September 24, 2006 12:31:14 AM

Make sure you leave at least one stick of ram in or the unit will not post. If the front panel lights up that means the power switch is ok, but for the future if you think the power switch is bad, find the front panel wire that says power sw, remove the wire and touch the two terminals with a flat blade screwdriver. That should bypass the switch and power the unit on. Anyway, to reset the bios without messing with the jumper, just remove the cmos battery located on the mainboard, that will clear the bios. If none of that works your problem lies in the mainboard or cpu. Good luck
September 24, 2006 1:00:47 AM

You might also want to check to make sure there are no screws or standoffs touching the bottom of the motherboard....creating a short
September 24, 2006 2:09:49 AM

Stupid question...

Does that mobo have onboard video? Possible its primary and your add-on (if you installed one) is what you plugged in?

Or what about if you added a video card with dual connectors, possibly plugged into the wrong port? Again, assumes you added one...

You mentioned you unplugged everything - does that include the IDE devices? Plugging in an IDE device backwards will (on most controllers) make a computer not post.

If you DON'T have onboard video, try pulling the add-on video card and power on. Does it beep at you like mad? It should... if its not, it's either the mobo itself, the CPU or memory. Unlikely to be CPU itself, maybe CPU settings. Set to slowest settings if jumpers are available. Also you could try each of the 2 memory sticks, 1 at a time.

Also, could try swapping out the vid card, if you have a junker on hand.

On my ASUS, if I screwed up my overclock settings, it'll take FOREVER to post, but what it does it realize its all horked up, then automatically reload the default settings - takes like 30 seconds to post, but it eventually does - you could try simply waiting too. Wouldn't that be funny!? :) 

That's about all I can think of...
!