First Build. Help with DVD

Pandion40

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
Got all my parts yesterday, I am now putting them together. I have never started from scratch before and I have not upgraded a comp for a few years so I have a question.

As far as I am aware a DVD drive should be attached to the Secondary IDE Connector. My motherboard has a JMicron IDE connector (40-1 pin PRI_EIDE [BLACK]) and an Intel ICH7R IDE connector (40-1 pin PRI_IDE) but no Secondary IDE that I can find. My HDD is SATA so I am not using either. Which one should I attach my Sony 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter to :?: Motherboard is an Asus P5W.

Any help would be appreciated.

AsGard

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2005
As far as it seems it is not that difficult:
If you have 2 IDE connectors on your MB than you have one primary and one secondary IDE available with both offcourse one slave and master on each.
If you have no other HD than a SATA I assume at least one of your IDE cables is not used? So you can just hook up your DVD to any free IDE commentor/slot. Only thing to look for is the jumpersetting on your IDE devices to be put accordingly offcourse (master/slave).

And generaly all info could be found in your MB users guide. And if you don't have it anymore; check on internet!
Still having doubts or trouble.. get some help from someone you know to have done it before or go to comp-shop I would say!