First Build. Help with PSU

Pandion40

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
Got all my parts yesterday, I am now putting them together. I have never started from scratch before so I have 2 questions.

1) My PSU instruction book says:-

Connect the RTN Grounding Cable to one of the fixing screws on your mainboard (the RTN/GND connections)

Is it telling me to connect it to the screws I used to screw my motherboard to the risers or one of the left over mounting holes on the cases mounting plate?

2) Should I have used the small rubber washers on the screws I used to screw in my motherboard to the risers? The board is an Asus P5W if that helps.

The answers are probably obvious but I don’t want to fry my board or PSU. Any help would be appreciated.

The ground connector looks like one of these?

wn_ringterm_vinyl.jpg

I think it's saying to ground the motherboard directly by using the ring terminal under one of the motherboard mounting screws - s/b ok as long as it doesn't hit any component or tracings.

Most mobos have a relatively large grounding trace on both sides - so I never use the mounting washer / insulators.

Pandion40

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
Yes doolittle The ground connectorlooks like that

mpilchfamily my PSU is the Tagan TG530-U15 530W ATX2.01 Easycon SLi Compliant Modular Silent PSU. What did you used to do with the grounding wire in the past.

Thanks for all the help guys