Setting Default Email Client

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

WIN XP HE
Hi,. I use a program that has a menu item as such: Tool|Read Mail
This is (obviously) designed to open up your default email client (in my
case Outlook 2002).
Unfortunately for me, for some unknown reason, when I try to use this
option, it wants me to install MSN Explorer--just as if I had chosen hotmail
as my default email or MSN Explorer.
In my IE 6 settings under Programs, Outlook is the default email client.
I have also notice some registry keys that could be causing this incorrect
behavior but I am not sure.
Is there a setting that I can modify to "release" this MSN Explorer thing?
Perhaps, the program I use is looking at some WIN XP setting and thinks that
MSN Explorer is connected to my default email client....
Suggestions?
Tx,

"saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> WIN XP HE
> Hi,. I use a program that has a menu item as such: Tool|Read Mail
> This is (obviously) designed to open up your default email client (in
> my case Outlook 2002).
> Unfortunately for me, for some unknown reason, when I try to use this
> option, it wants me to install MSN Explorer--just as if I had chosen
> hotmail as my default email or MSN Explorer.
> In my IE 6 settings under Programs, Outlook is the default email
> client.
> I have also notice some registry keys that could be causing this
> incorrect behavior but I am not sure.
> Is there a setting that I can modify to "release" this MSN Explorer
> thing? Perhaps, the program I use is looking at some WIN XP setting
> and thinks that MSN Explorer is connected to my default email
> client....
> Suggestions?
> Tx,

To set Outlook as the default mail client,- Go to Start, Run - Type in the
following with quotation marks and press OK
"C:\program files\microsoft office\office\outlook.exe" /checkclient
For more information on Outlook see:
http://www.slipstick.com/config/defaultmailer.htm

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"saturnin02" wrote:

> WIN XP HE
> Hi,. I use a program that has a menu item as such: Tool|Read Mail
> This is (obviously) designed to open up your default email client (in my
> case Outlook 2002).
> Unfortunately for me, for some unknown reason, when I try to use this
> option, it wants me to install MSN Explorer--just as if I had chosen hotmail
> as my default email or MSN Explorer.
> In my IE 6 settings under Programs, Outlook is the default email client.
> I have also notice some registry keys that could be causing this incorrect
> behavior but I am not sure.
> Is there a setting that I can modify to "release" this MSN Explorer thing?
> Perhaps, the program I use is looking at some WIN XP setting and thinks that
> MSN Explorer is connected to my default email client....
> Suggestions?
> Tx,

It sounds like you have been hijacked. Download, install, update and scan
with Ad-aware SE. http://www.lavasoftusa.com

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP wrote:
> "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> WIN XP HE
>> Hi,. I use a program that has a menu item as such: Tool|Read Mail
>> This is (obviously) designed to open up your default email client (in
>> my case Outlook 2002).
>> Unfortunately for me, for some unknown reason, when I try to use this
>> option, it wants me to install MSN Explorer--just as if I had chosen
>> hotmail as my default email or MSN Explorer.
>> In my IE 6 settings under Programs, Outlook is the default email
>> client.
>> I have also notice some registry keys that could be causing this
>> incorrect behavior but I am not sure.
>> Is there a setting that I can modify to "release" this MSN Explorer
>> thing? Perhaps, the program I use is looking at some WIN XP setting
>> and thinks that MSN Explorer is connected to my default email
>> client....
>> Suggestions?
>> Tx,
>
> To set Outlook as the default mail client,- Go to Start, Run - Type in the
> following with quotation marks and press OK
> "C:\program files\microsoft office\office\outlook.exe" /checkclient
> For more information on Outlook see:
> http://www.slipstick.com/config/defaultmailer.htm

That is already set properly Frank.
Any other ideas?

Look in start menu, all programs, at the top, there should be a 'set program
access and defaults'

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
marfers notes for windows xp
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP wrote:
>> "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> WIN XP HE
>>> Hi,. I use a program that has a menu item as such: Tool|Read Mail
>>> This is (obviously) designed to open up your default email client (in
>>> my case Outlook 2002).
>>> Unfortunately for me, for some unknown reason, when I try to use this
>>> option, it wants me to install MSN Explorer--just as if I had chosen
>>> hotmail as my default email or MSN Explorer.
>>> In my IE 6 settings under Programs, Outlook is the default email
>>> client.
>>> I have also notice some registry keys that could be causing this
>>> incorrect behavior but I am not sure.
>>> Is there a setting that I can modify to "release" this MSN Explorer
>>> thing? Perhaps, the program I use is looking at some WIN XP setting
>>> and thinks that MSN Explorer is connected to my default email
>>> client....
>>> Suggestions?
>>> Tx,
>>
>> To set Outlook as the default mail client,- Go to Start, Run - Type in
>> the
>> following with quotation marks and press OK
>> "C:\program files\microsoft office\office\outlook.exe" /checkclient
>> For more information on Outlook see:
>> http://www.slipstick.com/config/defaultmailer.htm
>
> That is already set properly Frank.
> Any other ideas?

See http://www.slipstick.com/config/defaultmailer.htm
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)

saturnin02 wrote:
> WIN XP HE
> Hi,. I use a program that has a menu item as such: Tool|Read Mail
> This is (obviously) designed to open up your default email client (in my
> case Outlook 2002).
> Unfortunately for me, for some unknown reason, when I try to use this
> option, it wants me to install MSN Explorer--just as if I had chosen
> hotmail as my default email or MSN Explorer.
> In my IE 6 settings under Programs, Outlook is the default email client.
> I have also notice some registry keys that could be causing this incorrect
> behavior but I am not sure.
> Is there a setting that I can modify to "release" this MSN Explorer thing?
> Perhaps, the program I use is looking at some WIN XP setting and thinks
> that MSN Explorer is connected to my default email client....
> Suggestions?
> Tx,

No such thing for me.
I have SP1 NOT SP2
And WIn XP Home Edition.

Mark L. Ferguson wrote:
> Look in start menu, all programs, at the top, there should be a 'set
> program access and defaults'
>

> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> marfers notes for windows xp
> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
> .
> "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP wrote:
>>> "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> To set Outlook as the default mail client,- Go to Start, Run - Type in
>>> the
>>> following with quotation marks and press OK
>>> "C:\program files\microsoft office\office\outlook.exe" /checkclient
>>> For more information on Outlook see:
>>> http://www.slipstick.com/config/defaultmailer.htm
>>
>> That is already set properly Frank.
>> Any other ideas?

Not what I need but thanks--it is already defined there.

PA Bear wrote:
> See http://www.slipstick.com/config/defaultmailer.htm
>
> saturnin02 wrote:
>> WIN XP HE
>> Hi,. I use a program that has a menu item as such: Tool|Read Mail
>> This is (obviously) designed to open up your default email client (in my
>> case Outlook 2002).
>> Unfortunately for me, for some unknown reason, when I try to use this
>> option, it wants me to install MSN Explorer--just as if I had chosen
>> hotmail as my default email or MSN Explorer.
>> In my IE 6 settings under Programs, Outlook is the default email client.
>> I have also notice some registry keys that could be causing this
>> incorrect behavior but I am not sure.
>> Is there a setting that I can modify to "release" this MSN Explorer
>> thing? Perhaps, the program I use is looking at some WIN XP setting and
>> thinks that MSN Explorer is connected to my default email client....
>> Suggestions?
>> Tx,

Select a different client from Internet Options, Programs tab. Click OK and close the dialog. Repeat the procedure, and reset your preferred email client (OL) again. If that does not help, download DefaultMail and click "Clear per-user settings.........." button:

Set the default email client on a per-user basis:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/defaultmail.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

PA Bear wrote:
> See http://www.slipstick.com/config/defaultmailer.htm

<snip>

OK, I will try. Tx.
Ramesh [MVP] wrote:
> Select a different client from Internet Options, Programs tab. Click OK
> and close the dialog. Repeat the procedure, and reset your preferred
> email client (OL) again. If that does not help, download DefaultMail and
> click "Clear per-user settings.........." button:
>
> Set the default email client on a per-user basis:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/defaultmail.htm
>

> PA Bear wrote:
>> See http://www.slipstick.com/config/defaultmailer.htm
>>
> <snip>