Need Serious Help Please!

Defender2516

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
I just bought a Leadtek 7600 GT to improve my gaming performance. Well as it turns out, the card is fine and works great at blazing speeds.. if it wasn't for my stupid computer!

Basically I think its my system Overall that is slowing it down, here is specs.

AMD Sempron, 1500 Mhz (2200+) Socket A
System Memory: 512 MB
Leadtek 7600 Graphics Card

Basically I think its my proccessor slowing down, but my Dad thinks I should just ditch my comptuer and switch to a new motherboard. Problem? I just bought at 171$ AGP card from new egg which requires a 15% restocking fee! Ouch!

So I have a few questions.

Can a AGP card be put in a PCI Express Slot? If not, I don't have to return the card!

Here is the options i'm currently facing.. I can either..

1. Return the card, get a new PCI-Express Computer System. Then later on buy a PCI-Express Card.. or..

2. Upgrade my Proccessor and Ram on my old computer. However.. I checked Socket A stuff on newegg, nothing really is going to give my old proccessor a boost.

Help? :(

~Defender~

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
You cannot put an AGP card into a PCI-E slot, doesn't physically fit.

THe best thing to do is to add more memory. 1gb can solve a lot of problems, although the CPU is a bottleneck.

Getting a PCI-E system won't be better unless you use a better card than 7600GT, more memory, and better CPU.

Like I said, getting at least 1gb of RAM can solve some problems.

Defender2516

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
More Ram may help, but i'm not even using it all. I still have 70 MB left over while running games like Guild Wars.

I'm really disappointed in the card, I can't even run the game at max settings and its still choppy gameplay while fighting.

When I checked how my CPU was handling it, it was using 100% proccessing power.

When it doesn't use 100% proccessing power, the gameplay is great, but in most areas in the game, i'm going to hit 100%.

I checked new egg for a faster proccessor but I think the highest is 2.8 ghz? Not much of a jump at all..

I feel so stuck right now.. don't know what to do.

~Defender~

Defender2516

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
I did do that, the only thing running is the neccesities that the computer needs to run.

Other than getting 1 GB of Ram, you sure I shouldn't just upgrade to PCI-Express motherboard with a 2x-3x faster times proccessor?

~Defender~

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
PCI-E is not an issue at all. The CPU is slow, little RAM, nothing much to say really.

You will need a whole new system, like A64 (preferrable dual core, or C2D) with at least 1gb of RAM, 7200RPM hard drive, and a 7600GT. Just plain PCI-E will not be an improvement, the whole system has to improve.

If you want to spend another $800 dollars for a good PCI-E PC, then that's what I would recommend.

impreza

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
You could try selling the card and get a new system with a decent cpu, or if you don't plan to upgrade any time soon you could get a agp 939 board and some more ram and a decent cpu. I think some of them support dual core too, so its only the gpu you will be stuck with.