Sign in with
Your question

New PC ! But its heating up too Fast :(

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
September 21, 2006 11:27:03 PM

hey guys,

I got my PC yesterday from Newegg, and the parts looked great!

Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
ASUS P5B MOBO
2 Gig Corsair PC6400
BFG 7950 GT 512MB
Western Digital 250 GB 16MB Cache (x2)
Thermaltake PSU toughpower 750W
Case ThermalTake Tsunami.

I hooked everything up and I installed the mobo software that shows the Temp of the CPU & MOBO and i was shocked to see the results.
CPU= 54'C/ 129'F
MOBO= 36'C/96'F

This is way too hot and Im not sure if it will be fine with the CPU.
I've got 3 Fans on the Case.

What Should I do or check for ? :?

And Also I'm Dying to do the RAID0 On my System but I didn't Any good site that has a nice easy toturial Any Suggestions ?

Thanks in advance,

Appreciate it :lol: 

More about : heating fast

September 21, 2006 11:35:17 PM

Ohh ok Thats good to know but how long does it take to be normal and what should i expect in terms of tempreture?

Should i invest in a better heatsink?

and yeah do you have any site that explains how to hookup using the Raid0?
September 21, 2006 11:43:40 PM

Lol, yes with a 750 watt psu, a 7950 gx2 lol, you should have invested in a good hsf combo. I'm running a TT Big typhoon 50 bucks with shipping at newegg 28 c idle with a c2d@3.2 Increases cpu life and performance. If you don't want to spend a whole lot of money (and there are cheaper hsf combos) just buying some halfway decent thermal paste, as in not that horrible intel stock crap will have a significant impact on temps, even wehn reapplied to the stock hsf. Plus those freakin stock fans are just terrible to mount and take off, they can hurt your motherboard, and are just generally garbage.
Related resources
September 22, 2006 12:00:05 AM

"reyazi wrote:

Only if you're going to overclock, otherwise you shouldn't upgrade."

I personally think with such an expensive system, it is worth paying 30 bucks for better system stability, and longevity of your cpu
September 22, 2006 12:03:39 AM

You know what I'm definitely gonna Overclock somtime in the near future :p  once i get my self prepared for overclocking and be confident.

Btw That TT Big typhoon is Cool but I've been reading reviews about it they're complaining about the size, i have this TT Tsunami Case I'm not sure I have enough room.

I know its not somthing you play around with, especially with the new system i have here :p 

I thank you both for your help.
September 22, 2006 12:09:19 AM

Quote:
I have to think maybe you dont have the hsf on properly.

Well there isn't many options on how to connect the hsf. The Intel hsf has those 4 pins that click, and i heard all of them click and it looked sturdy to me. It went in right. but i Don't know.

My Battlefield is on the way I'm hoping it won't make the temp go way higher than it is now, if so I think its time to get som new Hsf ..

It makes me feel bad to see the Temp so High! :oops:  !
September 22, 2006 12:09:37 AM

Because that other guy was telling you he had the same temps, and because the thermal paste can take a while to set in, I doubt it is mounted incorrectly, BUT it is Extrememly easy to incorrectly mount those pieces of crap. It would be worth double checking, often the click down once pretty easily and then click down again with great motherboard wrenching force, that is when they are on correctly, I would say about 50 percent of the time they are incorrectly mounted the first time. I've seen literally dozen's of poorly mounted ones in the last year alone.

I actually have a thermaltake Tsunami Case, and it works great, looks awesome as hell throught the window, next best thing to liquid cooling, but 100 bucks less. It even cools the mobo and ram. Most of the bad reviews on newegg are morons who didn't bother to check the size of it (remember, it works so well because it's so big), or people bitching about how it doesn't fit AM2, despite the fact that it does have a compatibility list, and SURPRISE! that's not on it. People also complained about how hard it was to mount, if you can't mount a hsf, you should't be opening up your computer and fooling around with anything. it really wasn't hard at all. Essentially most of the bad feedback I've seen out there about it was idiots bitching about there own inadequacies instead of problems with the product. I did a lot of research before buying it, and I found this russian website that pitted it against a bunch of other 50-70 dollar hsf combos and it flat out did the best. So I bought it, and it'w worked great and looked bitchin the whole time. There are other great one's out there, but I like it because it works so well and is dead silent.
September 22, 2006 1:00:36 AM

I've put together two systems recently using the Core2Duo 6600, one using the stock cooler, the other using a water cooler. On both the motherboard temps are high (40s), but the CPU temps are 10 and 20 below respectively. The theral contacts on the bottom of the coolers that I saw (and I assume yours is the same) are 3 fairly solid thick pads, which didn't strike me as being likely to be much good, a spot of Arctic Silver made a difference of ~5C. I would imagine that you would do better to look at the airflow around CPU/Graphics than at the heatsink itself, as it shouldn't have much trouble dealing with the power output of that chip.

As for setting up RAID0:
Firstly, as I assume you know, but better safe than sorry: RAID0 is negative-fault-tolerant (in that a disk failure brings down the whole lot), which is worth remembering if you keep important data on there.
Also in setting this up you'll lose any data already on the drives.

If you have the P5B (standard):
The RAID controller is the JMicron SATA device, so you should connect the HDDs to this. Unfortunately I believe that one of the SATA ports on it is external, which might present you with a problem, unless you can come up with a way around it.
If you have, then next you should go into the BIOS, and set the JMicron controller to RAID mode (in the 'Advanced' tab).
Next exit the BIOS and enter the JMicron BIOS (Ctrl + J)
Select Create RAID Disk Drive
Then set Level to 0-Stripe
Select HDDs to add and press Space on each one
Then enter to complete

You can create a RAID driver disk by booting off the MBoard CD

If you have the Deluxe version:
Connect the HDDs to the Southbridge SATA ports,
connect the two HDDs to two of the Southbridge's SATA ports
Go into the BIOS,
Under IDE configuration set SATA mode to RAID
Exit BIOS and enter Intel Matrix RAID controller setup (Ctrl + I)
Select Create RAID Volume,
Set mode to RAID 0
Add disks by selecting and pressing space
Enter to complete, and y to accept

Create RAID driver disk for the Intel Matrix RAID controller as above
September 22, 2006 1:08:20 AM

The Arctic 5 silver would help a lot, in regard to mobo temps being high, mine hang out around 24 c on the p5b premium, I removed the heat sinks and replaced the thermal adhesive with Arctic silver V and pulled off the useless logo covers. It helped A LOT. I would suggest you do so with the extra Arctic you would have if you used it for the cpu heat sink.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10...

here is a picture guide for removing the Heat sinks. (and other things but I wouldn't recomend them for the avg builder)
September 22, 2006 1:30:27 AM

First I want to thank everyone who helped out.
DomBenson(for the Raid mini toturial),MrsBytch,AddictiveHerring,prozac26 8)

I'm having second thoughts for the RAID0 Setup :(  ... it seems risky, people told me that but i didn't know its that bad.

Quote:
I would suggest you do so with the extra Arctic you would have if you used it for the cpu heat sink.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10...

very Cool toturial ! But the thing is I don't have the P5B Delux, Ive got the standard but i gues it would work for the heatsinks that i have. but its going to be messy :p  i tell you that.

P.S. I just Got my BATTLEFIELD:D eluxe Edition :p  in the mail 10 Min ago.!!
September 22, 2006 1:34:17 AM

Quote:
hey guys,

Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
ASUS P5B MOBO
2 Gig Corsair PC6400
BFG 7950 GT 512MB
Western Digital 250 GB 16MB Cache (x2)
Thermaltake PSU toughpower 750W
Case ThermalTake Tsunami.

Im suprised that someone that spent $1500 on the computer would buy such a cheap motherboard instead of buying the Delux WiFi or the P5w DH Deluxe. You obviously had money to spent on very high end components. Why go middle-of-the-road on the motherboard with questionable raid abilities. Its the backbone of the entire system. Thats just wrong on soo many levels.
September 22, 2006 1:40:47 AM

Quote:

Yes. Along with some Arctic Silver thermal paste.
September 22, 2006 1:40:47 AM

Quote:
Did you put any thermal compound on the CPU before installing the stock HSF?

Well, no because I'm assuming that the one that comes with the Stock HSF is what it needs.

And for little_scrapper comment:

You know what I think you're right and I was definitely planning to get the deluxe,, but There is a very complicated reason why it didn't happen :p 
September 22, 2006 1:42:19 AM

Quote:

Well, no because I'm assuming that the one that comes with the Stock HSF is what it needs.

Did you use the thermal paste that comes with the CPU? Meaning: Did you apply any kind of compound on top of the CPU before you mounted the HS/F?
September 22, 2006 1:43:20 AM

Quote:

Did you use the thermal paste that comes with the CPU? Meaning: Did you apply any kind of compound on top of the CPU before you mounted the HS/F?

No,
September 22, 2006 2:03:16 AM

Don't worry about the p5b deluxe vs. vanilla in terms of simply changing the thermal compound, it only takes 15 minutes, helps a ton, and that guide is very universal and will work fine for the p5b vanilla
September 22, 2006 2:03:40 AM

Quote:

No,

Bad, bad, bad. You must ALWAYS apply thermal compound to a CPU BEFORE you install the HS/F.

IMO, you're lucky that you didn't fry your CPU.
September 22, 2006 2:07:47 AM

I built basically the same system (as yours) last week:

- ASUS P5B Deluxe (Intel P965) Motherboard
- Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe
- Thermalright SI-128 Heatsink w/ Panaflo M1A
- Artic silver

My temps are 29C-32C idle, 37C-39C with load (gaming). I really like the Thermalright configuration because it directs the fan/cooling toward the motherboard, MOSFET, and NB chipset.

Good luck.
September 22, 2006 2:12:47 AM

I think you are misinterpreting the situation, stock intel HSF combos come with thermal compound on them already, you are NOT supposed to add your own. If you WISH, to add your own, you must first remove the stock intel paste. So he installed the stock HSF combo correctly.
September 22, 2006 3:36:51 AM

Is the system crashing etc.? Did all the installations go fine? Is the exhaust (disconnect all fans and run solely on the PSU one) VERY hot, scalding? Is the heatsink unbearable to touch when system is on?

These are the questions I'd ask myself in such a situation. It happens that sometimes the sensors get broken or somewhat (I've seena cheapo VIA C3 Samuel as reporting 115 degs Centigrade, although they're very cool ones). Also in one case the temp went down around 11 degs C when I updated the BIOS. Found out that BIOS was reading the sensor incorrectly (of course in this case progs like SpeedFan weren't used, only the BIOS reading was being observed).

One more thing: The front intake fan sometimes keep the air inside circulating in the case (since its not efficiently pulling in air, the one near the HDD and GPU is dragged to the front and the effect continues as long as the fan is on). I know this b/c I've seen it happening on a P4 2.8). This tip I got from the AMD site in 2003 (those days AMD were having problems w/ heat and were performing experiments and giving advice right & left, the same thing Intel had to do with Prescott). BTW the other tip was to use a PSU which did not have an exhaust fan at the back, but rather on the inside floor (means just above the CPU).

And both Intel & AMD boxed coolers come with a thermal pad adhered to them (its a pretty complete package, no need to buy a tube).

Personally I'd never care abt overheating if 1) the system was not crashing, and 2) temp was lesser than 90 degs C.
September 22, 2006 3:44:17 AM

updating the bios is a great idea, the finger check also makes perfect sense but

"Personally I'd never care abt overheating if 1) the system was not crashing, and 2) temp was lesser than 90 degs C"

jesus, I would worry about it, because the life of components is pretty valuable, not to mention loss of performance. P4's started losing packets at only 50 degrees C. I would be that the c2d's start to lose em around the same temp. Why buy a 6700 than have it run like an e6400 because you are simply ignoring an insane temp like 90 C.
September 22, 2006 3:56:48 AM

Quote:
P4's started losing packets at only 50 degrees C. I would be that the c2d's start to lose em around the same temp. Why buy a 6700 than have it run like an e6400 because you are simply ignoring an insane temp like 90 C.

Losing packets=thermal throttling? Or you mean that data starts getting corrupted? I don't quite get it.

Also 90 degs obviously when it isn't throttling neither crashing.
September 22, 2006 4:03:29 AM

You guys/gals that are posting idle temps <35C really need to post your room temps as well... I've NEVER had any CPU idle below 35C, regardless of any air cooled sytem... My room's avg temp is 26C, usually rising to 30C after gaming for 2 hours. (Small room (11x9), big monitor, and surround pumped thru a 5000 watt home theater system.)

I could NEVER idle at 25C without chilled water, as that is the lowest temp my computer room ever hits... unless you figured out how to make a HSF 100% efficient. Methinks you're reporting innacurate temps.
September 22, 2006 4:07:15 AM

This is the way I understand it, but I could be wrong

A cpu shoots bits of data around when it is really hot this affects the cpu performance causing some data bits to be lost, they need to be recreated and fired off all over again.

when the fan of my old p4 started to fall off (lol) temps went crazy, I didn't notice for some time, I thought my framerate in gta was halving because of spyware or a virus (I was a newb) it only got worse, evnentually the computer just started killing itself and turning off. I was pretty scared, so I opened it up and the cpu HSF was hanging half on half off.

The decrease in cpu functionality was caused by packet loss due to extreme temp.
September 22, 2006 4:14:42 AM

my room temp is usually around 68 degrees F I have a TT big typhoon and two 120 mm case fans plus a 90 mill side fan with nothing impeding airflow.

two other things worth noting:

A) most people apply thermal paste incorectly, first clean everything with isopropyl alcohol, then you want to put some of the thermal material on the copper block of your sink, and then wipe it off (yes that is right) this is to fill those tiny little grooves, sometimes even microscopic grooves. Secondly place a rice grain sized amount on the clean cpu, and spread it literally as thin as you can with a razor blade. Wait a few weeks and it will be all set and perfect.

B) you do not have a 5k watt surround system. unless you have 10 250 watt subs and 5 500 watt amps each one driving a single channel of your system, ALL IN AN 11X9 ROOM, lol
September 22, 2006 5:20:31 AM

Guys this HSF is bad ass !! :o  check it out

Thermaltake Big Typhoon

Thanks " AddictiveHerring " :wink:
September 22, 2006 7:35:49 AM

I think it's perfectly reasonable to get the standard version of the MB - higher versions usually just have 'toys' on them, although if you wanted RAID then it might have been an idea. Skimping on a lower-end chipset would be a bad idea of course.
I wouldn't necessarily leap into getting a 3rd party HSF, try re-doing the contacts with Arctic silver as above first, the stock cooler isn't that bad and you have to spend a lot to make a noticeable improvement.
Have a look at fan setup: is your Tsunami the version with the side intake fan? If not, then drilling a hole in the side and mounting a 120mm fan right over CPU/GPU would help a lot; I've found as much as 7C difference between having the fan and not, just because you've then got room-temperature air going into the CPU heatsink. If you can get hold of a duct then that can help too (in fact an 80mm duct over the CPU makes a fair difference all on its own if the fan on the heatsink cuts the mustard (have only done this on AMD, not sure how effective the Intel fan is).
September 22, 2006 7:48:00 AM

I actually think the current thermaltake Tsunami Dream fan set up works quite well, a 120 mm in front a 120 mm in back and a 90 mm side vent. adding another force on the side that is also a 120 mm might create some weird airflow plus i wouldn't want to mangle the side of such a good looker.

Eh, with asus boards the higher models have better bio features etc. not to mention improved cooling, the better heatsinks with heat pipes etc. seem to be worth the small price increase for overclockers.
September 22, 2006 8:57:25 AM

5000 Watt sound system? Maybe we got a bit carried away with the zeroes....
September 22, 2006 9:01:09 AM

lool :lol: 
a c 79 à CPUs
September 22, 2006 9:15:19 AM

Quote:
Ohh ok Thats good to know but how long does it take to be normal and what should i expect in terms of tempreture?

Mid 40s should be idle temp, I'm getting about 46C idle. That's on stock cooling, so don't expect better.

Quote:

Only if you're going to overclock, otherwise you shouldn't upgrade.

to the OP.

don't forget with all of the wild temp readings a very early conculsion was that there is no way to reliably read temps, it could just be that it is not being read corectly.

Especially as there were people reporting 80+C on a processor that was still working and not throttling.

I'm running stock, and I don't get above 40C at idle, in a 20-22C ambient, can drop down to 33-34C with an 18C ambient. Currently running Folding @100% and it is sitting at 45C, with fan at lowest setting from mobo. Thats using speedfan and core temp.

Message is you don't alwasy need new / bigger heat sinks.
!