Wireless Router for sharing ADSL line.

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
I am looking for a good router to share an ADSL line in a flat complex. It needs to have a range of about 200m indoors, the price is not really a problem unless it is something crazy like $500, i am thinking about getting an apple router(don't tell me they dont exist, THEY DO) I just need to know what would be good for my situation, i intend to allow access by mac address verification and i need to know which router comes with a good software package (Gui only) and a good range. Outdoors i need about 2km range. I am possibly getting it from Taiwan so i need a picture of it and all details possible, ie model number etc. Thanks.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
You are going to need many more than 1 access point if you want 200m indoors and 2km outdoors. I assume the 200m indoors is going to be omnidirectional but what about the 2km outdoor? Is that going to be a directional shot or are you after omni there as well?
Unless you are an extremely gifted engineer that can build rediculous antennas I cant think of any way you could do both of those for less than $500. Just the 200m indoors could easily run $500+ to get reliable service without cooking people (ie 1 large antenna w/ large amp).

I've had very good luck with Buffalo wireless equipment for decently sized yet cost effective solutions. A WLA2-G54L accesspoint, a couple WLA2-G54C repeaters and upgraded antennas should be able to cover a 200m area fairly decently. For an outdoor omni, if there is no chance of repeaters the cooking method might work well. A roof mounted 15db omni with a 1watt amp on one of those WLA2-G54L accesspoints should give quite a bit of range depending on the surroundings. I actually have one of those setup at work and I am able to connect to it reliably (with no obstructions) for almost 2 miles (about 3.2km).

WLA2-G54L = $90
WLA2-G54C = $70
5db antenna = $40
15db antenna = $180
1watt amp = $240