Lexmark x1190

Anybody have an opinion on this multifunction printer as to overall quality
etc. I've heard Lexmarks consume a lot of ink.

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about lexmark x1190

    > Anybody have an opinion on this multifunction printer as to overall quality
    > etc. I've heard Lexmarks consume a lot of ink.

    They don't nessicarly use "a lot" of ink but rather when you talk about
    their sub £60.00 printers you end up spending for the ink than you
    would for a model that costs more from the get go. For example the
    x1190 takes the 13400HC tank @ £22ish per 600p (IIRC) or 3.7p/page.
    Could be worse, but isn't all that good. A canon mp750/760/780 which
    costs more from the get-go by a few buckets takes the bci-3e for the
    black text and costs £12 per 500pages or 2.4p/page A HP PSC 1410
    takes the 5ml C9351AN tank for £12 per 138p or so or 8.7p/page. The
    HP Officejet 6210 i'm not sure so i'm guessing £14sih per 450ish pages
    or 3.1p/page. HP PSC 1315 takes the old #45 tank rated at 833p IIRC
    £20 or or 2.4p/page. This is an inkhog... but it's an inkhog that
    costs little per page, and you could hardly tell the difference between
    draft mode and standard mode.

    These are just random printers I pulled out of the blue except the
    canons which I own, and the HP that I discovered is still sold that
    takes a known decent black cartridge with high volume and high yield of
    ink.

    Lexmark x1190 - £60 to £70
    Canon mp750 - £175ish [£200 to £300 for other models]
    HP PSC 1410 - not sure
    HP PSC 1315 - £75 ish
    HP Officejet 6210 £170ish

    Prices by cartridgemonkey printer prices by amazon.

    I'm not discussing the quality or features, only cost of ownership.
    Lexmark cost of ownership is highish. There are worse... but there are
    better. Most you'd have to spend more with the exception of the psc
    1315 which is still sold on amazon for within a few pounds of the
    lexmark. If you only print a few pages of text a year, let's say under
    500p then you might not even care about cost of ownership... might as
    well by a new printer every year.

    In all fairness to lexmark the software compliment tends to be decent,
    ease of use is very good. Reliablity... don't ask.

    Without knowing your application... it's not possible to make any
    reccomendation.

    "Jim McColl" <j_a_mccoll @emMessSeN.com> wrote:
    >Anybody have an opinion on this multifunction printer as to overall quality
    >etc. I've heard Lexmarks consume a lot of ink.
    >
    >Thanks

    Jim
    I have no experience of this particular model but am of the opinion that
    Lexmark ink printers are expensive to run compared to most other makes. I
    recommend that you look at the Canon, Epson and HP ranges. They may have a
    higher purchase price but I think you will find the cost of running will be
    lower (cost of ink), this would not be true if you are only going to print
    occasionally of course. The only other make I strongly recommend against at
    this time is Brother until they sort out the woeful design of their printheads
    (google for brother error 41 and see what I mean, this problem is ongoing and I
    have heard of no redesign as yet).
    Tony

    "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Anybody have an opinion on this multifunction printer as to overall
    > quality
    > etc. I've heard Lexmarks consume a lot of ink.

    They don't nessicarly use "a lot" of ink but rather when you talk about
    their sub £60.00 printers you end up spending for the ink than you
    would for a model that costs more from the get go. For example the
    x1190 takes the 13400HC tank @ £22ish per 600p (IIRC) or 3.7p/page.
    Could be worse, but isn't all that good. A canon mp750/760/780 which
    costs more from the get-go by a few buckets takes the bci-3e for the
    black text and costs £12 per 500pages or 2.4p/page A HP PSC 1410
    takes the 5ml C9351AN tank for £12 per 138p or so or 8.7p/page. The
    HP Officejet 6210 i'm not sure so i'm guessing £14sih per 450ish pages
    or 3.1p/page. HP PSC 1315 takes the old #45 tank rated at 833p IIRC
    £20 or or 2.4p/page. This is an inkhog... but it's an inkhog that
    costs little per page, and you could hardly tell the difference between
    draft mode and standard mode.

    These are just random printers I pulled out of the blue except the
    canons which I own, and the HP that I discovered is still sold that
    takes a known decent black cartridge with high volume and high yield of
    ink.

    Lexmark x1190 - £60 to £70
    Canon mp750 - £175ish [£200 to £300 for other models]
    HP PSC 1410 - not sure
    HP PSC 1315 - £75 ish
    HP Officejet 6210 £170ish

    Prices by cartridgemonkey printer prices by amazon.

    I'm not discussing the quality or features, only cost of ownership.
    Lexmark cost of ownership is highish. There are worse... but there are
    better. Most you'd have to spend more with the exception of the psc
    1315 which is still sold on amazon for within a few pounds of the
    lexmark. If you only print a few pages of text a year, let's say under
    500p then you might not even care about cost of ownership... might as
    well by a new printer every year.

    In all fairness to lexmark the software compliment tends to be decent,
    ease of use is very good. Reliablity... don't ask.

    Without knowing your application... it's not possible to make any
    reccomendation.

    Thanks for the replies. This will not be a high usage printer so usage cost
    should not be too bad. Your comments were about what I expected, but just
    wanted to confirm there are no major performance or reliability issues with
    the printer. It is being given away ($100 mail in rebate) with purchase of a
    computer. However, it does not come with a black cartridge, so you need to
    spend money up front to get one. The fact that it is also a scanner is a
    plus for the folks who will actually be getting it.

    Personally, I have an Epson C84 which I have owned for two years, I use only
    compatible cartridges for which I pay between $6.95 and $8.95 Canadian from
    Atlantic Ink Jet. I have had an occasional head clog, but nothing I haven't
    been able to clear. Since I do almost no photo printin, I am quite happy
    with the current situation.

    Regards

Printers Lexmark Peripherals