Sign in with
Your question

Ghalk's Mecha-Keanu Reeves 2.2k $ Gaming Computer!

Last response: in Systems

Seagate or WD for a quiet, fast, dependable HD:

Total: 32 votes

• Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB
  • 91 %
  • WD Caviar WD3200KS 320GB
  • 10 %
September 22, 2006 2:33:01 AM

Hello, I'm Ghalk. This is my sad story:

About 2 or 3 months ago my old computer went BOOM!
It's been 3 months and I dont have a new computer yet, because I want to be sure and buy the best computer I can get with the 2.2k $ I got...

yea, 3 months w/o computer...

I think I'm pretty ready to shoot myself now.

But well o well, I think is time for me to finally decide, and get a home-build PC all togheter.

I've been doing my homework; research and research and researh and more researh and more research all day and night since the last week (from a friend's laptop)... my head is about to make BOOM as well any time soon now.

... yesterday I dreamed a Seagate HD was eating me alive.

So, I don't have all the pieces of my new Mecha-Keanu Reeves 2.2k $ gaming computer defined yet, but with the ones I got... well, I got doubts, and I hope you tech junkies help me... cause this is too much work for a single man.

So, here I pressent to you, the one and only, the amazing:

-=Mecha-Keanu Reeves 2.2k $ Gaming PC ver.BETA 0.9=-

Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz 330 $
Motherboard: Asus P5N32-Sli SE Deluxe 220 $
RAM: Corsair XMS2 2,024 (2x 1,012) MB 6400C4 340 $
Sound Card: X-Fi SoundBlaster Fatal1ty 200 $
Video Card: Asus GeForce 7950GT 512 MB 350 $
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 220 $
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA II 110 $

So far, missing monitor, optical drives and everyhting else: 1,770 $

Since I don't have the rest of the computer figured out yet,
I will ask help on these parts only (yet).

Sooo... what you guys think?
And about some of the components I just mentioned, I have some specifical questions:

1. RAM: should I get the dominator 8500C5D instead of the 6400C4?
2. Video Card: 7950GT 512MB... Asus or XFX?
3. Hard Drive: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SEAGATE OR WESTERN DIGITAL????? FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hrmph, yes, sorry I lost control for a moment there on that last question... but really, seagate barracuda or WD caviar? which one is quiet? which one is faster? which one is cooler? pleas, oh please, hear my plea... I really don't want to buy one and when it gets here realise I just bought something that's loud like a 16-weeler.

Please, Oh thee tech junkies, hear my plea.

EDIT: gramar
September 22, 2006 3:06:27 AM

for the graphics don't get the 7950GT, you can get a

SAPPHIRE Radeon X1900XT 256MB for $250 and for $100 less that is much better performance by far...if you really wanted to spend $350 then you can get a SAPPHIRE Radeon X1900XT 512MB both perform way better than the 7950GT...quite a bit better actually...

as far as the HD this goes mostly on personal experience...i would choose the seagate because its one of the fastest hd out with its perpendicular recording technology(7200.10)

as far as your mobo i would go with a Asus P5B Deluxe, it will allow you to overclock much better and Sli is a waste of money unless you game at 1900x1200 resolutions or higher, even the x1900xt 512mb will be able to handle most games with ease, except oblivion
ther rest of the system looks good, i would recommend a Samsung 204B for a monitor, not sure how much your looking to spend on it, or you could go with a Dell 2007FPW which is much more expensive but is just plane awesome monitor)

optical drives are like 50 bucks so just pick one...

for the ram do not get the dominator, its just marketing hyper, that ddr2-800 w/ 4-4-4-12 timings will work well in your system, especially if you want to overclock or even so if you don't

if you take my recommendatiosn you'll save some money and be able to overclock more, if anything the 965 chipset could allow you to upgrade to quad core in the future, where as i doubt the nforce chipset would allow..
a b 4 Gaming
September 22, 2006 3:24:57 AM

Sorry to read of your woes dude, 3 months cold turkey huh that's gotta suck, but 2.2k$ to play with hmmm I question your choice of graphic card why not 2x7900gt or x1900xt the Ati win's all the benchies at the moment and 2 79's will probably be quicker than 1 7950 and then there's the HDD I like barracuda's but the western digital raptor spins @ 10,000rpm nuff said I know bugger all about Intel CPU's so I'm not gonna comment on that or your mobo/memory choice/options but what about a Samsung SATA DVD\RW just to keep things tidy in the case it has no performance benefit whatsoever, that's my tuppence worth chucked in I wish you well and good luck with your build. 8)
Related resources
September 22, 2006 4:01:18 AM

Ok, answers:

1. RAM: The Dominator RAM isn't worth it, not with a C2D platform.
2. Video Card: 7950GT 512MB... No. Get a X1900XT like stated above.
3. Hard Drive: Seagate.

I'd say: Get the ASUS P5B Deluxe, much better option for a C2D than a P5N32-SLI. You'd get the ability to upgrade to a Core 2 Quadro anytime (with a BIOS update, maybe).
September 22, 2006 4:09:54 AM

and what about a P5W DH Deluxe instead of the P5B?
September 22, 2006 4:25:12 AM

It's also a nice choice, but older chipset, though.

I'd feel more comfortable getting a P965-based mobo, it'd be more "future proof".
September 22, 2006 4:26:56 AM

even better, it uses the 975x chipset which has greater overclocking potential...

Quote:
Sorry to read of your woes dude, 3 months cold turkey huh that's gotta suck, but 2.2k$ to play with hmmm I question your choice of graphic card why not 2x7900gt or x1900xt the Ati win's all the benchies at the moment and 2 79's will probably be quicker than 1 7950 and then there's the HDD I like barracuda's but the western digital raptor spins @ 10,000rpm nuff said I know bugger all about Intel CPU's so I'm not gonna comment on that or your mobo/memory choice/options but what about a Samsung SATA DVD\RW just to keep things tidy in the case it has no performance benefit whatsoever, that's my tuppence worth chucked in I wish you well and good luck with your build. Cool

first of all he is talking about a WD Caviar, not a raptor and just because the raptor spins at 10Krpm does not mean nuff said, the perpendicular recording on the new seagates matches the performance of the raptors in almost all benchmark all the while giving a much better price/gb...
September 22, 2006 4:41:52 AM

Quote:
Mecha-Keanu Reeves

Is that a south park reference???
September 22, 2006 4:46:13 AM

I've found an article for you comparing the P5W DH and P5B Deluxe.

With the new Catalyst 6.9, ATI has introduced Crossfire support for the P965 chipsets. So, both of them are pretty much even.

Also the latest BIOS releases for the P5B Deluxe enables the ability of reaching an insane FSB beyond 500 MHz and unlocked multipliers. Here is an article of AnandTech about it.

It's up to you. :wink:
September 22, 2006 5:14:39 AM

I think im going this way then:

Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz

Motherboard: Asus P5B Deluxe (yea, the P965 chipset sounds more appealing... and now that that ATI drivers abble this MoBo to support crossfire, and since im getting a X1900XT, this think this is the way to go.)

RAM: Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 800mhz 4-4-4-12

Sound Card: Creative X-fi Fatal1ty

Video Card: Sapphire x1900xt 512mb (should i go crossfire edition?)

Power Supply: P&C Silencer 750W

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB SATA II (hope its a quiet HD)

Optical Drives: I think im going a nice expensive (200 bucks) SATA II Plextor as main drive, and then a Sony DVD/CD ROM for simultaneous burning, what do you think?

I still need to figure out many things, like case, monitor, speakers, cooling, etc... but anyway, I guess most part is done, ty all for the advice rest easy knowing it will be applicated.

If you think there's something else i should know you r welcome to post it, I will surelly read it.

TY all again.
Ghalk.

EDIT: south park reference? mmm, i dunnom i thought i had just invented it :p 
September 22, 2006 1:48:34 PM

SATA Plextor drive? Are you sure you need such an expensive beast?
September 22, 2006 11:28:00 PM

what would you recommend instead?
September 23, 2006 12:13:23 AM

Quote:
I think im going this way then:

Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz

Motherboard: Asus P5B Deluxe (yea, the P965 chipset sounds more appealing... and now that that ATI drivers abble this MoBo to support crossfire, and since im getting a X1900XT, this think this is the way to go.)

RAM: Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 800mhz 4-4-4-12

Sound Card: Creative X-fi Fatal1ty

Video Card: Sapphire x1900xt 512mb (should i go crossfire edition?)

Power Supply: P&C Silencer 750W

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB SATA II (hope its a quiet HD)

Optical Drives: I think im going a nice expensive (200 bucks) SATA II Plextor as main drive, and then a Sony DVD/CD ROM for simultaneous burning, what do you think?

I still need to figure out many things, like case, monitor, speakers, cooling, etc... but anyway, I guess most part is done, ty all for the advice rest easy knowing it will be applicated.

If you think there's something else i should know you r welcome to post it, I will surelly read it.

TY all again.
Ghalk.

EDIT: south park reference? mmm, i dunnom i thought i had just invented it :p 

Since when can the 965 chipset support crossfire? i'm pretty sure only the 975x chipset supports crossfire...

as far as i know if you want crossfire you have to go with the 975x chipset.
and regardless of how much better the 965 chipset has been with the new bios for the asus, the 975x still has much more stable overclocking ability
September 23, 2006 12:49:26 AM

mmm, im having a hard choice picking on the motherboard

P5B Deluxe or P5W DH Deluxe...
P965 chipset vs 975X chipset...
newer chipset vs older, more experienced chipset

I thought i would like the newer chipset better, but from all i've heard the 975X chipset is the one that allows crossfire (but accordingly to multiplectic a couple posts above, the new sapphire drivers allow crossfire on the P965 chipsets as well now)

But even that way, apparently the P5W DH is a much more popular of a MoBo than the P5B Deluxe, even if they are very simmilar.

I do want to get crossfire in the future, and update to quad core as well if possible... according to asus, the P5W DH Deluxe will be compatible with the future multi-cpu processors, and most people seem to own and recommend the 975X chipset MoBo insetad of the P965 one, even if everyone says they are both equally good quality and performance... but since most people do recommend the P5W DH Deluxe (975X) above the P5B Deluxe (P965), I think im getting the P5W DH Deluxe instead... so many people cant go wrong. :D 

Thanks for the help on the MoBo issue, i think im going P5W DH Deluxe (975X), but if you want to say anything else above the MoBo issue youre more than welcome to gomme advice.

TY all,
Ghalk.
September 23, 2006 12:59:29 AM

i just noticed the anandtech article about the crossfire support, the reason why everyone would go for the p5w is because the p5b was the in the same price range, so there was no point to get the p5b when you could get the p5w, but with new bios coming out and higher overclocks being reached with the p5b if you can get the p5b deluxe for a cheaper price point then go for it...
September 23, 2006 1:25:57 AM

P5B Deluxe: 194 $ at newegg

P5W DH Deluxe: 249 $ at zipzomfly
269 $ at newegg!!! (OMG THE HUMANITY) they ran out of the normal version so they only have the Wifi AP version avaliable atm, which cost 20 bucks more.

Being P5B able to support crossfire now, and having the P5B only 1 PCIe x1 slot less than the P5W, I guess the final and only question left is the next one:

I know P5W will support Quad Core processors... but will P5B suppport them as well??

Ty.
September 23, 2006 2:57:41 AM

I think I'll go with the P5W DH Deluxe, even if it costs 50$ more.

I've decided I want to be sure that my new MoBo supports Quad Core, something sure to happen on the 975X chipset, but not so sure on the P965 chipset.

Besides, even if the new drivers and BIOS allow the P5B to support Crossfire and higher OCing, that's something the P5W always had, w/o the need of a BIOS improvement. Just raw chipset.

The 975X chipset based MoBo just appear to have more advantages than the P965 based one. Yes, I know, it costs about 50$ more... but I've decided I would gladly pay 50$ extra bucks for a "higher quality" MoBo (with greater OCing power, higher upgrade cappable, and a built-in crossfire support) that's sure to support the future Quad core processors.

If you think I may be mistaken, please tell me so.

Love,
Ghalk.
September 23, 2006 9:56:48 AM

on the other hand......

im not going quad core cpu...

not even crossfire....

and if im going to overclok my rig, is not gonna be by much...

SO WTF DO I CARE ABOUT THE 975X CHIPSET???

im getting the P5B Deluxe Mobo then instead... maybe the P5W has lots of other stuff, but is stuff im not gonna use and / or need, and i can save myself 50 bucks
September 23, 2006 10:11:02 AM

Out of the 7200.10 and the Caviar, get the 7200.10.

Why? 5 year warranty.
September 23, 2006 11:36:48 AM

Ok here goes because I don't necessarily like what I am hearing for recommendations across the board. The x1900xt was a great recommendation. Get two hard drives dude. Get a raptor as your primary and get a seagate as your secondary. I always get two. Makes it nice when you have shit that you don't wanna lose! Very important. The raptor will surprise you man spinning at 10000 rpm, you won't find another drive that will do that. I would personally get the 74 gig edition. I know what you are thinkin, oh but its only 74 gig, I need a 100000000000 gig drive......nah dude, it isn't like that! You will have a secondary for all your crap! No worries! I would also get a zalman passive heat cooler for it and mount that thing right near your intake fan so it will keep it nice and chilly cause they tend to get a lil hot. Next off............x-fi fatality...........In my eyes it is an absolute waste of money. I too am a gamer and get all wide eyed when I see things marketed to the gamer but if you don't think you're going to use the front panel then hell, get the x-fi extreme music you can get that for way cheaper! at least 100 bucks cheaper! This thing is soundin like a gaming rig.........oh btw, check out the x1950xtx, new gddr4 ram, I'm not saying run out and buy it cause generally unless you have money flowing for your bank account and price isn't an option then the highest end is stupid! Spend a little bit of cash on a case! The Lexa looked pretty nice to me actually although mine is custom designed but if you aren't into that kinda stuff the Nzxt (think thats the name) is a very well engineered case with all 120mm fans! Will keep your stuff cold as hell and quiet as hell. The x1900xt's run hot as hell! I use ATI tool to set dynamic fan speeds because ATI and most of those other companies wanted to keep it quiet so that fan doesn't kick in till it his 70 C!!!!!!! Thats insane and will keep ambient case temp way high if you don't have good airflow! Next, check to see what you really need as far as a psu. If you aren't going to add bunch of stuff to that and aren't going crossfire or sli then don't get 750 watt, that thing will heat up your machine like crazy. BTW, no crossfire edition for that x1900xt don't know if it was answered but I saw that earlier on one of your posts. At the moment I can't think of anything else! Good luck dude!
September 23, 2006 11:38:35 AM

dark dude, how you like the reservator zalman cooler?
September 23, 2006 12:28:57 PM

(Sorry for the late answer)

First, any IDE DVD-RW/RAM will do fine, there's no need right now for a SATA optical unit. You just have to pick one you like, that's all.
In my personal experience, LG is pretty good. But that's just me.

Sidenote: For all you people stating the 975X is better than the P965 for a C2D... Please back your statements up with some hard info, otherwise, save your words.

Ok, you're not going Crossfire neither Quad-Core. Still, the P965 is a better platform for C2D. Remember it was specifically designed for C2D. And you'll be able to upgrade to Quad-Core... someday. :wink:
September 23, 2006 1:24:19 PM

Quote:
dark dude, how you like the reservator zalman cooler?

Meh.

I didnt get it for noise levels, I decided that a system capeable of passive cooling would rock with a fan on it.

Its not that great tho, and I'm looking to replace it with a proper 1/2" ID water loop, its just that I can never decide which of my planned upgrades to do first :) 
September 23, 2006 1:43:18 PM

Nice, I was just curious cause I love zalman cooling products dude, they are the shizzy. I always wanted to get that thing but I have heard mixed reviews saying that it wasn't all that great! Others have said it was fantastic. However, I heard that it wasn't capable of keeping things all that cold. It was a intermediate. Plus I find that 120mm fans will do just fantastic. My case being a custom acrylic case it is all 80mm fans with the exception of my 92mm cps9500led zalman cooler which pwns. I build a machine for a friend with a 120 mm exhaust fan and dude, lemme tell ya if you can at all help it, don't get anything smaller than 120mm. Certainly by no means anything less than 80mm cause those things do no cooling and they are loud as hell. For the dude, who posed this stuff. The Lexa case by Nzt (something like that) is all 120 mm and even comes with a strap for lan gaming! Its tits!
September 23, 2006 10:08:32 PM

First of all, I wanna appologize to Multiplectic.

You're right dude, the P5W isnt all that great over the P5B, that's precisely why I'm choosing the P5B instead. Maybe the P5W has greater upgrade capabilities and OC, but when we talk about quality I'm sure the P5W and the P5B are evenly matched. That's why I said "higher quality" using the "".

Second, thanks a lot to all the people helping me build this rig.

Third, I'm very thankfull to Gahleon as well, since you kinda oppened my eyes about the sound card; I do tend to get all exited when I see "gaming" on any piece... but I guess that if you think the Fatal1ty is a waste of money, I'll choose the Xtreme Music or the Platinum isntead. Both ways, its like 70$ - 150$ bucks cheaper.

About the video card, I was actually researching about the x1900xtx over the x1900xt, and I was about to post on these forums a question about if is really worth it the extra 50$. If anyone knows the answer I would gladly apreciate it.

I'll play with the idea of getting a raptor 74GB for my OS startup, and leaving the 320 Gb seagate in RAID 0 for storage and boost. Thats about 200$ bucks more, but I guess I can get that monery out of the savings I'm making choosing the P5B over the P5W and the Xtreme Music over the Fatal1ty. The main question is, does the P5B supports this kind of raptor 74g 10k - seagate 320g 7.2k RAID 0 array? I know the answer is probably "yes", but never hurts to ask.

Also, I guess that if the 750W PSU would really overheat my rig, I could go for a more popular PSU for gaming like the OCZ 550W or so one (I think its 550W not sure). The main question about this is, does this PSU support the future X10 cards? cause I'm getting one of those eventually to replace the x1900 series 9 card.

From all the research I've done building this rig, I made a huge discovery... names arent all, and in most cases the tech companies give shiny names to some items just so they can sell them for 5000000$ more and call them "better" (IE, corsair dominator series, P5W > P5B, etc.) you just need to do some researh, that's all.

Something else i discovered about making this rig on these forums...
most C2D gaming rigs are pretty much the same at the end lol (most people go C2D 2.4, P5W or P5B, 512 ati or nvidia, 320 seagate and 74g raptor, OCZ gaming PSU, and so on.)

I'll keep researching, and soon I'll get my rig completed. So far is like this:

Core 2 Duo 2.4
P5B Deluxe
Corsair 6400C4 2k RAM 800mhz 4-4-4-12
Xtreme Music or Platinum SoundCard
Sapphire x1900xt or 1900xtx 512m
OCZ gaming PSU
74gb raptor and 320gb seagate RAID 0
LG main drive DVD-RW and LG DVD-ROM second drive
obviously, some coolers (specially for the HD)
and im thinking zalman's CPU fan or smthing

If you have somthing to add, I'll surelly read your recommendations. TY a lot.

Love,
Ghalk.

P.D: sorry about the grammar, im kinda wrting this in a hurry
September 23, 2006 10:08:44 PM

Quote:
(Sorry for the late answer)

First, any IDE DVD-RW/RAM will do fine, there's no need right now for a SATA optical unit. You just have to pick one you like, that's all.
In my personal experience, LG is pretty good. But that's just me.

Sidenote: For all you people stating the 975X is better than the P965 for a C2D... Please back your statements up with some hard info, otherwise, save your words.

Ok, you're not going Crossfire neither Quad-Core. Still, the P965 is a better platform for C2D. Remember it was specifically designed for C2D. And you'll be able to upgrade to Quad-Core... someday. :wink:

Quote:
Overclocking is still much less stable on the 965 ASUS than we experienced on their 975X motherboard. The ASUS board is generally stable, but it could still benefit from a few more rounds of BIOS refinement. In fact, all of the 965 boards were less polished and mature than their 975X counterparts - not to mention the missing features detailed above.

Conroe Buying Guide

Quote:
We do need to remind readers, however, that we have generally reached even higher overclocks on the 975X chipset when compared 1:1 with the 965P.

ASUS P5B: Unlocked

Quote:
Overall platform performance generally favors the 975X chipset and it comes at a price

Quote:
However, in our CrossFire result the P965 trails the 975X by close to 13% which is significant.

ASUS P5B Deluxe: ATI CrossFire

Wow, need i say more, and last of all if he really was going crossfire you would still have to go with the 975x right now, although i see potential in the 965 its just not there yet...
p.s. did you really have force me to do this? since you did i brought it sexy back for you...
September 23, 2006 10:26:30 PM

Quote:
About the video card, I was actually researching about the x1900xtx over the x1900xt, and I was about to post on these forums a question about if is really worth it the extra 50$. If anyone knows the answer I would gladly apreciate it.

I'll play with the idea of getting a raptor 74GB for my OS startup, and leaving the 320 Gb seagate in RAID 0 for storage and boost. Thats about 200$ bucks more, but I guess I can get that monery out of the savings I'm making choosing the P5B over the P5W and the Xtreme Music over the Fatal1ty. The main question is, does the P5B supports this kind of raptor 74g 10k - seagate 320g 7.2k RAID 0 array? I know the answer is probably "yes", but never hurts to ask.

Also, I guess that if the 750W PSU would really overheat my rig, I could go for a more popular PSU for gaming like the OCZ 550W or so one (I think its 550W not sure). The main question about this is, does this PSU support the future X10 cards? cause I'm getting one of those eventually to replace the x1900 series 9 card.

Well, lets clear some things up...

the X1900XTX is not worth the 50 extra bucks at all, if you wanted the XTX get the X1950XTX, it might be worth it. but besides all of that you don't need all that power anway if you plan on getting DX10 so soon, if you want to get a dx10 card sooner rather than later get a X1900XT 256MB, if you want to wait longer rather the sooner get a X1900XT 512, and if you feel like you have plenty of money to spend and you just want the best then get a X1950XTX...dont even consider the X1900XTX

for the raid 0 option, what you were probably recommended to do was put 2 74GB raptors in Raid 0, this would give you the best HD performance but i will not recommend this to you, specifically because i'm sure that you don't know how to setup a raid array and secondly because its the biggest waste of money, thats $320, you could spend that else where on a a much better cpu or ram or graphics card...for the price/gb and performance it is not worth it unless you have already optioned for the best cpu and best graphics card and ram out..

for the raid 0 array this would not be very smart choice since it puts your system at a risk for losing all your information, never would you want to consider putting your storage drives in a raid 0 array...

so if you have the extra money get the 74GB Raptor and the 320Gb Seagate 7200.10, with no raid setup, if you don't feel the raptor is worth the money then just get the 320Gb, you would barely know the difference either way

if you get any good name brand psu with >600W you should be more than fine for the dx10s upcoming power requirements, i would say any good brand psu at 550W should be fine too, with a single gfx card...Enermax Liberty 620W would be a good choice, although that OCZ GamersXtreme 700W is a very good choice also
September 23, 2006 11:18:33 PM

I notice you have the raptor and seagate listed as Raid 0, you don't want to set it up that way with different size drives. Gahleon was talking about running OS and games on the raptor and running the seagate as a data drive for big files, movies, music etc.

I personally wouldn't bother with that myself. For the less than the cost of the raptor and seagate 320g you can get 2 seagate 320g and run them in Raid 0 giving you greater performance than the raptor and giving you a total storage of over 600gigs. You also won't need to worry as much about HD cooling if you forget about the raptor.

Nothing wrong with running it either way, thats just what I'd do. I'm glad to see you're going with an OCZ PSU also. The PC Power and Cooling PSUs are awesome but very costly. You could get the OCZ 700w for $150ish or drop a lil and get the 600w which is what I assume you're aiming for.

If you aren't going to work with music a lot ( I don't mean ripping CDs or DLing MP3s) then I'd just get the plain vanilla X-fi sound card. It gives you more $ to devote to aftermarket cooling or better vid card.

I'd try to get the x1900xt 512mb if you can instead of the 256mb and OC that thing to near xtx speeds which it usually takes to quite easily.

I recommend the NXZT Apollo case as its striking in appearance without looking too over the top. It still has a classy look and comes in several colors. It has gotten nothing but good to great reviews and uses 120mm fans. Without PSU you can get the black one on newegg for $59.99.

Cooling on the CPU is probably obvious but I'd use a 9500CU Zalman cooler and consider a better cooler on the 1900xt if thats what you get.

Well I hope some of these suggestions help in some way. Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy your new build once its done.
September 24, 2006 12:13:36 AM

Well, that's just fine.
You gave me hard facts.
That was some sort of "challenge", and I wanted to see if someone could answer. :D 

Interesting thing though, overclocking isn't the only thing that matters (maybe for us, hardware geeks, it is).
And, AnandTech isn't the only hardware website around the Internet. :wink:

You've said it: The potential in the P965 is just not there... yet.
September 24, 2006 1:06:42 AM

Thanks a lot Icy, Talon, Gahleon, Multi, and everyone else, your help has been very valuable to me on this matter.

Lots of wise people has been giving me recommendations about my gaming rig on these forums, and I really apreciate it.

But, since there's so many people advicing me, theres obviously times when someone's advice is contradictory to someone else's advice, so I gotta decide which advice to follow on specific cases.

I'm trying to build a well-round up rig, not the best (money issues) but yes, a very good one based on my 2.2k budget (gotta include a good monitor and speakers as well)

So far my gaming rig goes like this:

Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.4 - $319
MoBo: ASUS P5W DH Deluxe - $249
Memory: Corsair XMS2 6400C4 2k at 800mhz 4-4-4-12 - $317
Sound card: (I'm thinking Xmusic or Platinum) - (est. $120)
Video card: Sapphire X1900XT 512MB - $297
Power supply: OCZ 600W to 700W one - (est. $120)
Hard drive: SEAGATE 7200.10 320GB SATA2 - $102
Optical drives:
1- LG DVD-RW - (est. $80)
2- LG DVD-ROM - (est. $20)
CPU fan: Zalman's - (est. $30)
Video card cooler: no idea yet - (est. $30)
ATX case: no idea yet - (est. $70)
Display: something LCD 19'' - (est. $300)
Speakers: CREATIVE 5.1 100W or so - (est. $70)
Keyboard: Saitek Eclipse II - $46
Mouse: Razer Diamondback - $44
UPS: no idea yet, need something good - (est. $100)

Sub-Total: est. $2,314
TAX (7%): est. $161

Total: est. $2475

This is what I though for my rig so far. If you have any recommendations or views please post them, I'll glady apreciate them.

Love,
Ghalk.
September 24, 2006 2:10:28 AM

well i guess you are set on getting a Seagate and then i also recommend (like everyone else) to get the x1900xt 512mb instead, i believe for $350 you can get the x1900xtx.. so yeah, those are my 2 cents. if u dont really care much about the optical drive, may i recommend an NEC dvd Burner that sells on newegg.com for $30 and has free shipping, in fact i bought it! and i get it tomorow!!! i actually get my pc tomorow!!! woot!.. sorry,

well i had a dream where i was blown away by my new pc (i know i will because i had some crapzor HP Pavilion before)

Good Luck!
September 24, 2006 2:51:59 AM

So, final opinion:

- Processor: Just fine.
- MoBo: I won't say anything else about this. It's your money, you decide. :wink:
- Memory: Fine.
- Sound card: The Platinum. Nice front bay. :wink:
- Video card: Fine. Enjoy it!
- Power supply: Go as big as your pocket can. There's nothing as a "too powerful" PSU.
- Hard drive: Fine.
- Optical drives: Fine. (Following my advice, huh?) :wink:
- CPU fan: You might consider some Scythe HSF also.
- Video card cooler: Zalman VF700 or VF900, also the KuFormula VF1. All of them are pretty good choices, and, yes please, get rid of the X1900 stock cooler (too much noise).
- ATX case: I like Thermaltake cases. Antec's are pretty good too. Many people recommend the Antec P180. You might check it out.
- Display: (?) I still keep my loyal CRT. No LCD experience.
- Speakers: Yeah. 5.1 is the way to go. Make sure those are THX certified. :wink:
- Keyboard: Saitek... Don't know it. :tongue:
- Mouse: Ooohh, major words here... Razer. Make sure you pair it with a very good quality pad.
- UPS: Never had one, never needed one.

Ok, I think this is getting really close to the end! 8)

A little warning: I didn't thought about prices... Watch it! :o 
September 24, 2006 3:24:47 AM

is the sound card front panel really worth it the extre 60$?

actually... what is the front panel that comes with the newer x-fi cards good for?
September 24, 2006 3:34:53 AM

It all depends on if you're really going to use it.

The X-Fi Platinum comes with the I/O Drive (front bay) and a remote controller.
Ideal for those "who play a lot of media on their PCs or just like having nice toys for their rig". - PC Perspective

Do you use headphones? That way it might come in handy.

If not... well, it isn't worth the extra $60. :wink:

Data about the IO Drive:

"In the X-Fi Platinum and Fatal1ty packages you get the I/O Drive control panel that can be mounted in a drive bay. The I/O drive has easy access controls for headphone volume, and ports for SPDIF input and output, RCA, microphone, line-in and midi input. The I/O drive really makes it convenient for you to connect other devices and make use of X-Fi's great recording and playback functionality. The I/O drive is installed using the Creative Labs AD Link cable which is included in all packages except the XtremeMusic box."

PC Perspective
September 24, 2006 3:53:29 AM

i do play a lot of media on my computer

and i do use hearphones a lot...

and i could really use a remote control for tuning in my music (this rig is gonna be my audio system as well)

guess ill get the platinum instead...

or even better, upgrade to fatal1ty for just 40 more bucks (fatali1ty is bout 218$ atm)
September 24, 2006 3:58:57 AM

Ok, the Fatal1ty is just for bragging rights... The X-Ram technology... I really don't think it can make a difference.

But, if it still fits in your budget, then why not? :D 
September 24, 2006 5:07:03 AM

Quote:
Well, that's just fine.
You gave me hard facts.
That was some sort of "challenge", and I wanted to see if someone could answer. :D 

Interesting thing though, overclocking isn't the only thing that matters (maybe for us, hardware geeks, it is).
And, AnandTech isn't the only hardware website around the Internet. :wink:

You've said it: The potential in the P965 is just not there... yet.

Only reason i quoted Anand so many times is cause they have just been all over the Asus P5B as of late with the new bios, crossfire and that Conroe buying guide, if Tom's would have done it all i would have quoted Tom's, i'm definitely not trying to give the p5b a bad rep, it is a solid motherboard that will handle most anyones overclocking requirements, in this case i would say the P5B Deluxe
September 24, 2006 5:12:05 AM

It's cool. I just was kidding a little bit. :wink:

You're leaning towards the P5B because Ghalk isn't planning to do Crossfire? :?:
September 24, 2006 5:17:13 AM

Yes and because it is cheaper more so, in truth i find that the 975x should be for the more experienced more hardcore overclocker, thats the type of person that will deliver its full potential. I'm sure that ghalk won't really even push the limit of the P5B Deluxe the way he has been talking,

The extra performance the 975x gives you comes at a price, and i don't think ghalk would tap into that extra performance, if it were me i would go with the P5B Deluxe, but if you want the best, and you have the money then the P5W would be the choice
September 24, 2006 6:02:05 AM

i do want the best...

and i do have the money...

and i guess i could learn about OCing a litle more ;) 
September 24, 2006 1:15:29 PM

Much much much better choices I would say. I'm no computer expert but those are the things that I would do, had I something similar to you. If that p5b (sorry don't know the board, haven't had time to research......law school now!) has SATA hookups it will support that raptor. I wouldn't worry about that. You would merely use the raid setup utitility and set up those other two drives in it and set up your os on the raptor. It is so much faster man trust me! Your raid setup is quite fast, faster than a normal 7200 rpm drive, however, raptors are amazing. I would highly suggest some type of passive cooling because they are going to get hot. The extra 50 bucks? Nah it isn't worth it. These card are pretty easy to over clock a little bit. That x1900xt will play anything out there just fine. Oblivion looks great on my machine so I'm more than sure it will look great on your, and I'm a wuss, at the time way too many expensive components to overclock, didn't want to take the chance. Plus I'm way too busy to read up on it. ATI tool is great with radeon card. I will tell you that the x1900 run really hot. The ATI tool will let you dynamically set up ran speeds which is really really nice. You can basically chose how cool you want it cause the included stock fan will push air just as well as any after market out there. There was one that came out that everyone was really hyped about can't remember the name cause I just woke up but it sucks because it doesn't blow the hot air out like the stock, you just have to tweek it to set it out. As far as supporting DX10 cards, I have no idea because as of right now those aren't out and won't be for a lil bit. It wouldn't hurt to get a powerful psu, just like I said make sure you have fans to cool that case, preferably 120mm fans. I wouldn't use some case that you have lying around the house. Trust me you'll regret it. That card runs how, psu runs hot, and if you go with raptor that'll be hot. However, remember this you have 2x hd plus maybe a raptor plus all those other things, not bad to have a 750 psu just so it will for sure house dx10 card but really think about that lexa, or a full atx tower so there is plenty of room and 120mm fans. Good luck bro
September 24, 2006 1:26:53 PM

Quote:
I notice you have the raptor and seagate listed as Raid 0, you don't want to set it up that way with different size drives. Gahleon was talking about running OS and games on the raptor and running the seagate as a data drive for big files, movies, music etc.

I personally wouldn't bother with that myself. For the less than the cost of the raptor and seagate 320g you can get 2 seagate 320g and run them in Raid 0 giving you greater performance than the raptor and giving you a total storage of over 600gigs. You also won't need to worry as much about HD cooling if you forget about the raptor.

If you aren't going to work with music a lot ( I don't mean ripping CDs or DLing MP3s) then I'd just get the plain vanilla X-fi sound card. It gives you more $ to devote to aftermarket cooling or better vid card.

Cooling on the CPU is probably obvious but I'd use a 9500CU Zalman cooler and consider a better cooler on the 1900xt if thats what you get.

Well I hope some of these suggestions help in some way. Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy your new build once its done.

This dude, has the right idea for the most part but i don't agree with some things.........first off he didn't read your post about transferring data which means the raptor would be a good setup because the other "faster" drive which is your array (saw the review, its speculative whether it is faster) is cashed by your transferring data over your network. You don't want to play games from that drive. Sure 600+ gigs, you already have that! Don't need to buy it again. You just putting that in this new case. Run that as your secondary and run a raptor 120 bucks for 74 gig as your primary for gaming. Um, secondly in my last post I told ya about the aftermarket cooler for x1900xt.....stupid idea cause nothing will cool it. The best after market cool which I'm going to go find now since I don't want an argument.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=197943

check here too. I will tell ya what people have said, accelero x2 is what I was looking to say. It blows air right in. Personally if you want the bump up in performance you can oc the stock cooler, I would just leave it at stock speeds now if you going to get a dx10 card soon.
September 25, 2006 4:55:51 PM

Pre-final check, if you have any comments / opinions please post them as I will surely read them and take 'em into consideration. Thanks.

Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.4 - $319
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
CPU fan: ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED 92mm fan with heatsink - $50
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...
CPU thermal paste: Arctic Silver 5 - $15
MoBo: ASUS P5W DH Deluxe - $249
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...
Memory: Corsair XMS2 6400C4 2k at 800mhz 4-4-4-12 - $317
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...
Video card: Sapphire X1900XT 512MB - $333
http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/product.asp?pid=13681&s...
Video card cooler: ARCTIC COOLING Accelero X2 - $23
Heat blower: Antec SuperCyclone Blower - $15
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...
Power supply: OCZ GameXStream 700W - $154
Hard drive: SEAGATE 7200.10 320GB SATA2 - $95
Optical drive: LG 16X DVD±R Super-Multi DVD Burner GSA-H10NB - $29
ATX case: Thermaltake Tsunami Modern Dream with 1x90mm 2x120mm - $105
Display: SAMSUNG 940MW-SV 19" 8ms Widescreen LCD w/ TV Tuner and remote - $329
Speakers: CREATIVE 7.1 P7800 - $86
Keyboard: Saitek Eclipse Black- $44
Mouse: Razer Plasma Diamondback and eXactMat mousepad- $62

Sub-Total: est. $2,225
TAX (7%): est. $155

Total: est. $2,380

Love,
Ghalk
September 25, 2006 7:28:54 PM

That's a killer rig you have there!! :D 

Enjoy it!! :D  :D 
!