Ghalk's Mecha-Keanu Reeves 2.2k $ Gaming Computer!

Seagate or WD for a quiet, fast, dependable HD:

• Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB

Votes: 29 90.6%
  • WD Caviar WD3200KS 320GB

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

ghalk

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Hello, I'm Ghalk. This is my sad story:

About 2 or 3 months ago my old computer went BOOM!
It's been 3 months and I dont have a new computer yet, because I want to be sure and buy the best computer I can get with the 2.2k $ I got...

yea, 3 months w/o computer...

I think I'm pretty ready to shoot myself now.

But well o well, I think is time for me to finally decide, and get a home-build PC all togheter.

I've been doing my homework; research and research and researh and more researh and more research all day and night since the last week (from a friend's laptop)... my head is about to make BOOM as well any time soon now.

... yesterday I dreamed a Seagate HD was eating me alive.

So, I don't have all the pieces of my new Mecha-Keanu Reeves 2.2k $ gaming computer defined yet, but with the ones I got... well, I got doubts, and I hope you tech junkies help me... cause this is too much work for a single man.

So, here I pressent to you, the one and only, the amazing:

-=Mecha-Keanu Reeves 2.2k $ Gaming PC ver.BETA 0.9=-

Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz 330 $
Motherboard: Asus P5N32-Sli SE Deluxe 220 $
RAM: Corsair XMS2 2,024 (2x 1,012) MB 6400C4 340 $
Sound Card: X-Fi SoundBlaster Fatal1ty 200 $
Video Card: Asus GeForce 7950GT 512 MB 350 $
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 220 $
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA II 110 $

So far, missing monitor, optical drives and everyhting else: 1,770 $

Since I don't have the rest of the computer figured out yet,
I will ask help on these parts only (yet).

Sooo... what you guys think?
And about some of the components I just mentioned, I have some specifical questions:

1. RAM: should I get the dominator 8500C5D instead of the 6400C4?
2. Video Card: 7950GT 512MB... Asus or XFX?
3. Hard Drive: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SEAGATE OR WESTERN DIGITAL????? FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hrmph, yes, sorry I lost control for a moment there on that last question... but really, seagate barracuda or WD caviar? which one is quiet? which one is faster? which one is cooler? pleas, oh please, hear my plea... I really don't want to buy one and when it gets here realise I just bought something that's loud like a 16-weeler.

Please, Oh thee tech junkies, hear my plea.

EDIT: gramar

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
for the graphics don't get the 7950GT, you can get a

SAPPHIRE Radeon X1900XT 256MB for $250 and for $100 less that is much better performance by far...if you really wanted to spend $350 then you can get a SAPPHIRE Radeon X1900XT 512MB both perform way better than the 7950GT...quite a bit better actually...

as far as the HD this goes mostly on personal experience...i would choose the seagate because its one of the fastest hd out with its perpendicular recording technology(7200.10)

as far as your mobo i would go with a Asus P5B Deluxe, it will allow you to overclock much better and Sli is a waste of money unless you game at 1900x1200 resolutions or higher, even the x1900xt 512mb will be able to handle most games with ease, except oblivion
ther rest of the system looks good, i would recommend a Samsung 204B for a monitor, not sure how much your looking to spend on it, or you could go with a Dell 2007FPW which is much more expensive but is just plane awesome monitor)

optical drives are like 50 bucks so just pick one...

for the ram do not get the dominator, its just marketing hyper, that ddr2-800 w/ 4-4-4-12 timings will work well in your system, especially if you want to overclock or even so if you don't

if you take my recommendatiosn you'll save some money and be able to overclock more, if anything the 965 chipset could allow you to upgrade to quad core in the future, where as i doubt the nforce chipset would allow..

Sorry to read of your woes dude, 3 months cold turkey huh that's gotta suck, but 2.2k$ to play with hmmm I question your choice of graphic card why not 2x7900gt or x1900xt the Ati win's all the benchies at the moment and 2 79's will probably be quicker than 1 7950 and then there's the HDD I like barracuda's but the western digital raptor spins @ 10,000rpm nuff said I know ah heck all about Intel CPU's so I'm not gonna comment on that or your mobo/memory choice/options but what about a Samsung SATA DVD\RW just to keep things tidy in the case it has no performance benefit whatsoever, that's my tuppence worth chucked in I wish you well and good luck with your build. 8)

Multiplectic

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Ok, answers:

1. RAM: The Dominator RAM isn't worth it, not with a C2D platform.
2. Video Card: 7950GT 512MB... No. Get a X1900XT like stated above.
3. Hard Drive: Seagate.

I'd say: Get the ASUS P5B Deluxe, much better option for a C2D than a P5N32-SLI. You'd get the ability to upgrade to a Core 2 Quadro anytime (with a BIOS update, maybe).

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
even better, it uses the 975x chipset which has greater overclocking potential...

Sorry to read of your woes dude, 3 months cold turkey huh that's gotta suck, but 2.2k$ to play with hmmm I question your choice of graphic card why not 2x7900gt or x1900xt the Ati win's all the benchies at the moment and 2 79's will probably be quicker than 1 7950 and then there's the HDD I like barracuda's but the western digital raptor spins @ 10,000rpm nuff said I know ah heck all about Intel CPU's so I'm not gonna comment on that or your mobo/memory choice/options but what about a Samsung SATA DVD\RW just to keep things tidy in the case it has no performance benefit whatsoever, that's my tuppence worth chucked in I wish you well and good luck with your build. Cool

first of all he is talking about a WD Caviar, not a raptor and just because the raptor spins at 10Krpm does not mean nuff said, the perpendicular recording on the new seagates matches the performance of the raptors in almost all benchmark all the while giving a much better price/gb...

Multiplectic

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
I've found an article for you comparing the P5W DH and P5B Deluxe.

With the new Catalyst 6.9, ATI has introduced Crossfire support for the P965 chipsets. So, both of them are pretty much even.

Also the latest BIOS releases for the P5B Deluxe enables the ability of reaching an insane FSB beyond 500 MHz and unlocked multipliers. Here is an article of AnandTech about it.

It's up to you. :wink:

ghalk

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
I think im going this way then:

Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz

Motherboard: Asus P5B Deluxe (yea, the P965 chipset sounds more appealing... and now that that ATI drivers abble this MoBo to support crossfire, and since im getting a X1900XT, this think this is the way to go.)

RAM: Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 800mhz 4-4-4-12

Sound Card: Creative X-fi Fatal1ty

Video Card: Sapphire x1900xt 512mb (should i go crossfire edition?)

Power Supply: P&C Silencer 750W

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB SATA II (hope its a quiet HD)

Optical Drives: I think im going a nice expensive (200 bucks) SATA II Plextor as main drive, and then a Sony DVD/CD ROM for simultaneous burning, what do you think?

I still need to figure out many things, like case, monitor, speakers, cooling, etc... but anyway, I guess most part is done, ty all for the advice rest easy knowing it will be applicated.

If you think there's something else i should know you r welcome to post it, I will surelly read it.

TY all again.
Ghalk.

EDIT: south park reference? mmm, i dunnom i thought i had just invented it :p

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
I think im going this way then:

Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz

Motherboard: Asus P5B Deluxe (yea, the P965 chipset sounds more appealing... and now that that ATI drivers abble this MoBo to support crossfire, and since im getting a X1900XT, this think this is the way to go.)

RAM: Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 800mhz 4-4-4-12

Sound Card: Creative X-fi Fatal1ty

Video Card: Sapphire x1900xt 512mb (should i go crossfire edition?)

Power Supply: P&C Silencer 750W

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB SATA II (hope its a quiet HD)

Optical Drives: I think im going a nice expensive (200 bucks) SATA II Plextor as main drive, and then a Sony DVD/CD ROM for simultaneous burning, what do you think?

I still need to figure out many things, like case, monitor, speakers, cooling, etc... but anyway, I guess most part is done, ty all for the advice rest easy knowing it will be applicated.

If you think there's something else i should know you r welcome to post it, I will surelly read it.

TY all again.
Ghalk.

EDIT: south park reference? mmm, i dunnom i thought i had just invented it :p

Since when can the 965 chipset support crossfire? i'm pretty sure only the 975x chipset supports crossfire...

as far as i know if you want crossfire you have to go with the 975x chipset.
and regardless of how much better the 965 chipset has been with the new bios for the asus, the 975x still has much more stable overclocking ability

ghalk

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
mmm, im having a hard choice picking on the motherboard

P5B Deluxe or P5W DH Deluxe...
P965 chipset vs 975X chipset...
newer chipset vs older, more experienced chipset

I thought i would like the newer chipset better, but from all i've heard the 975X chipset is the one that allows crossfire (but accordingly to multiplectic a couple posts above, the new sapphire drivers allow crossfire on the P965 chipsets as well now)

But even that way, apparently the P5W DH is a much more popular of a MoBo than the P5B Deluxe, even if they are very simmilar.

I do want to get crossfire in the future, and update to quad core as well if possible... according to asus, the P5W DH Deluxe will be compatible with the future multi-cpu processors, and most people seem to own and recommend the 975X chipset MoBo insetad of the P965 one, even if everyone says they are both equally good quality and performance... but since most people do recommend the P5W DH Deluxe (975X) above the P5B Deluxe (P965), I think im getting the P5W DH Deluxe instead... so many people cant go wrong. :D

Thanks for the help on the MoBo issue, i think im going P5W DH Deluxe (975X), but if you want to say anything else above the MoBo issue youre more than welcome to gomme advice.

TY all,
Ghalk.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
i just noticed the anandtech article about the crossfire support, the reason why everyone would go for the p5w is because the p5b was the in the same price range, so there was no point to get the p5b when you could get the p5w, but with new bios coming out and higher overclocks being reached with the p5b if you can get the p5b deluxe for a cheaper price point then go for it...

ghalk

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
P5B Deluxe: 194 $ at newegg

P5W DH Deluxe: 249 $ at zipzomfly
269 $ at newegg!!! (OMG THE HUMANITY) they ran out of the normal version so they only have the Wifi AP version avaliable atm, which cost 20 bucks more.

Being P5B able to support crossfire now, and having the P5B only 1 PCIe x1 slot less than the P5W, I guess the final and only question left is the next one:

I know P5W will support Quad Core processors... but will P5B suppport them as well??

Ty.

ghalk

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
I think I'll go with the P5W DH Deluxe, even if it costs 50$ more.

I've decided I want to be sure that my new MoBo supports Quad Core, something sure to happen on the 975X chipset, but not so sure on the P965 chipset.

Besides, even if the new drivers and BIOS allow the P5B to support Crossfire and higher OCing, that's something the P5W always had, w/o the need of a BIOS improvement. Just raw chipset.

The 975X chipset based MoBo just appear to have more advantages than the P965 based one. Yes, I know, it costs about 50$ more... but I've decided I would gladly pay 50$ extra bucks for a "higher quality" MoBo (with greater OCing power, higher upgrade cappable, and a built-in crossfire support) that's sure to support the future Quad core processors.

If you think I may be mistaken, please tell me so.

Love,
Ghalk.

ghalk

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006

on the other hand......

im not going quad core cpu...

not even crossfire....

and if im going to overclok my rig, is not gonna be by much...

SO WTF DO I CARE ABOUT THE 975X CHIPSET???

im getting the P5B Deluxe Mobo then instead... maybe the P5W has lots of other stuff, but is stuff im not gonna use and / or need, and i can save myself 50 bucks

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Ok here goes because I don't necessarily like what I am hearing for recommendations across the board. The x1900xt was a great recommendation. Get two hard drives dude. Get a raptor as your primary and get a seagate as your secondary. I always get two. Makes it nice when you have shit that you don't wanna lose! Very important. The raptor will surprise you man spinning at 10000 rpm, you won't find another drive that will do that. I would personally get the 74 gig edition. I know what you are thinkin, oh but its only 74 gig, I need a 100000000000 gig drive......nah dude, it isn't like that! You will have a secondary for all your crap! No worries! I would also get a zalman passive heat cooler for it and mount that thing right near your intake fan so it will keep it nice and chilly cause they tend to get a lil hot. Next off............x-fi fatality...........In my eyes it is an absolute waste of money. I too am a gamer and get all wide eyed when I see things marketed to the gamer but if you don't think you're going to use the front panel then hell, get the x-fi extreme music you can get that for way cheaper! at least 100 bucks cheaper! This thing is soundin like a gaming rig.........oh btw, check out the x1950xtx, new gddr4 ram, I'm not saying run out and buy it cause generally unless you have money flowing for your bank account and price isn't an option then the highest end is stupid! Spend a little bit of cash on a case! The Lexa looked pretty nice to me actually although mine is custom designed but if you aren't into that kinda stuff the Nzxt (think thats the name) is a very well engineered case with all 120mm fans! Will keep your stuff cold as hell and quiet as hell. The x1900xt's run hot as hell! I use ATI tool to set dynamic fan speeds because ATI and most of those other companies wanted to keep it quiet so that fan doesn't kick in till it his 70 C!!!!!!! Thats insane and will keep ambient case temp way high if you don't have good airflow! Next, check to see what you really need as far as a psu. If you aren't going to add bunch of stuff to that and aren't going crossfire or sli then don't get 750 watt, that thing will heat up your machine like crazy. BTW, no crossfire edition for that x1900xt don't know if it was answered but I saw that earlier on one of your posts. At the moment I can't think of anything else! Good luck dude!

Multiplectic

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
(Sorry for the late answer)

First, any IDE DVD-RW/RAM will do fine, there's no need right now for a SATA optical unit. You just have to pick one you like, that's all.
In my personal experience, LG is pretty good. But that's just me.

Sidenote: For all you people stating the 975X is better than the P965 for a C2D... Please back your statements up with some hard info, otherwise, save your words.

Ok, you're not going Crossfire neither Quad-Core. Still, the P965 is a better platform for C2D. Remember it was specifically designed for C2D. And you'll be able to upgrade to Quad-Core... someday. :wink:

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
dark dude, how you like the reservator zalman cooler?

Meh.

I didnt get it for noise levels, I decided that a system capeable of passive cooling would rock with a fan on it.

Its not that great tho, and I'm looking to replace it with a proper 1/2" ID water loop, its just that I can never decide which of my planned upgrades to do first :)

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Nice, I was just curious cause I love zalman cooling products dude, they are the shizzy. I always wanted to get that thing but I have heard mixed reviews saying that it wasn't all that great! Others have said it was fantastic. However, I heard that it wasn't capable of keeping things all that cold. It was a intermediate. Plus I find that 120mm fans will do just fantastic. My case being a custom acrylic case it is all 80mm fans with the exception of my 92mm cps9500led zalman cooler which pwns. I build a machine for a friend with a 120 mm exhaust fan and dude, lemme tell ya if you can at all help it, don't get anything smaller than 120mm. Certainly by no means anything less than 80mm cause those things do no cooling and they are loud as hell. For the dude, who posed this stuff. The Lexa case by Nzt (something like that) is all 120 mm and even comes with a strap for lan gaming! Its tits!

ghalk

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
First of all, I wanna appologize to Multiplectic.

You're right dude, the P5W isnt all that great over the P5B, that's precisely why I'm choosing the P5B instead. Maybe the P5W has greater upgrade capabilities and OC, but when we talk about quality I'm sure the P5W and the P5B are evenly matched. That's why I said "higher quality" using the "".

Second, thanks a lot to all the people helping me build this rig.

Third, I'm very thankfull to Gahleon as well, since you kinda oppened my eyes about the sound card; I do tend to get all exited when I see "gaming" on any piece... but I guess that if you think the Fatal1ty is a waste of money, I'll choose the Xtreme Music or the Platinum isntead. Both ways, its like 70$ - 150$ bucks cheaper.

About the video card, I was actually researching about the x1900xtx over the x1900xt, and I was about to post on these forums a question about if is really worth it the extra 50$. If anyone knows the answer I would gladly apreciate it.

I'll play with the idea of getting a raptor 74GB for my OS startup, and leaving the 320 Gb seagate in RAID 0 for storage and boost. Thats about 200$ bucks more, but I guess I can get that monery out of the savings I'm making choosing the P5B over the P5W and the Xtreme Music over the Fatal1ty. The main question is, does the P5B supports this kind of raptor 74g 10k - seagate 320g 7.2k RAID 0 array? I know the answer is probably "yes", but never hurts to ask.

Also, I guess that if the 750W PSU would really overheat my rig, I could go for a more popular PSU for gaming like the OCZ 550W or so one (I think its 550W not sure). The main question about this is, does this PSU support the future X10 cards? cause I'm getting one of those eventually to replace the x1900 series 9 card.

From all the research I've done building this rig, I made a huge discovery... names arent all, and in most cases the tech companies give shiny names to some items just so they can sell them for 5000000$ more and call them "better" (IE, corsair dominator series, P5W > P5B, etc.) you just need to do some researh, that's all.

Something else i discovered about making this rig on these forums...
most C2D gaming rigs are pretty much the same at the end lol (most people go C2D 2.4, P5W or P5B, 512 ati or nvidia, 320 seagate and 74g raptor, OCZ gaming PSU, and so on.)

I'll keep researching, and soon I'll get my rig completed. So far is like this:

Core 2 Duo 2.4
P5B Deluxe
Corsair 6400C4 2k RAM 800mhz 4-4-4-12
Xtreme Music or Platinum SoundCard
Sapphire x1900xt or 1900xtx 512m
OCZ gaming PSU
74gb raptor and 320gb seagate RAID 0
LG main drive DVD-RW and LG DVD-ROM second drive
obviously, some coolers (specially for the HD)
and im thinking zalman's CPU fan or smthing

If you have somthing to add, I'll surelly read your recommendations. TY a lot.

Love,
Ghalk.

P.D: sorry about the grammar, im kinda wrting this in a hurry