temporary folder error message

I've been receiving an error that says problem opening windows temporary
folder. the number on the bottom of the message is -34. I have sp2 installed
on WinXP Home Edition, with a cable connection(road runner). I have to hit
alt/control/del to unfreeze the screen after I close the window in order to
keep working. I checked with my anti-virus provider to make sure it wasn't a
virus(it isn't). How can I keep this error from occurring, and what causes it
to happen in the first place. If anyone has any advice or solutions, I'd
greatly appreciate it. I have a HP Pavillion 760n computer, with a Pentium 4
processor, and it's approx. two and 1/2 yrs. old. Thank you.

Open the Event Viewer and see if you can find a reference to these errors.

Event ID & the Event Source are very important.

To open the Event Viewer...
Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | OK

Double click the event in Event Viewer | Click: the button below the second
arrow (looks like two pages) [[Copies the details of the event to the
Clipboard.]] | Paste into Notepad | Click:

Read all info | Copy and paste to Notepad | Click the [+] Related Knowledge
Base articles | Follow any links that might be useful

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427

This can also be very useful.
You need to have the Event ID & the Event Source.

Windows XP Professional Events and Errors
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/search.aspx?DisplayName=Windows%20XP%20Professional&ProdName=Windows%20Operating%20System&MajorMinor=5.1&LCID=1033

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes