Motherboard/CPU gone?

ragz01

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Hi,

I have an Asus P5WD2 motherboard with an Intel Pentium D (2.8GHz) CPU. I am using the Thermaltake Tribe External Water Cooling System and have had an operational system for about 6 months.

Yesterday, the computer suddenly switched off as i was using it - it tried to reset but switched off again after another couple of seconds. I also noticed a smell of smoke around the computer and when i checked the amount of coolant in the water cooling system, it was very low.

Now, when i try and turn the computer on, the lights glow for less than half a second and turn off. There is an LED on the motherboard and on a TV tuner card attached to it and both of these work.

Are my CPU and motherboard burnt? How can i tell if it is just one or both? Is the only thing i can do buy new parts?

Thanks,

Ragz

Boristhetech

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Your CPU may be okay, but I wouldn't rule it out as a possible problem. The symptoms you describe seem more like a problem with the power system. Either the Power Supply has gone out, or the voltage regulators/capacitors on the motherboard have gotten fried. If you smelled smoke, it is quite likely that you have blown a capacitor or voltage regulator, since those are typically the first components to overheat and die a horrible, agonizing death. If you will look around the area of the CPU, look for dark black spots on the motherboard itself. Also pay attention to the capacitors (The little miniature soda can things). If they are charred or look like they have stuff leaking out of them, they're bad.

If you can't seem to see anything on the motherboard that indicates physical damage, the problem is more likely inside the power supply. At that point, try a different power supply if you can find one and see if the computer will boot. If that doesn't work, things get a little tricky, because you'll need to test all of your components on a motherboard that is known to work properly to make sure the ram/cpu/videocard/etc aren't causing issues.

Ultimately, I'm guessing you will have to replace either the motherboard or the power supply, if not both.