Epson C82 - prints too light?

I've just been making a few prints on special glossy paper, using the
highest quality colour setting of my Epson C82 Stylus (on a PC under
Win XP).

They were pretty good, but definitely all a bit *lighter* than the
screen image. Is this a characteristic of the printer? Is there
anything I can do about it please, (apart from darkening the original
and guessing the outcome)?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
7 answers Last reply

    "Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
    > I've just been making a few prints on special glossy paper, using the
    > highest quality colour setting of my Epson C82 Stylus (on a PC under
    > Win XP).
    >
    > They were pretty good, but definitely all a bit *lighter* than the
    > screen image. Is this a characteristic of the printer? Is there
    > anything I can do about it please, (apart from darkening the original
    > and guessing the outcome)?
    >
    > --
    > Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Hi.

    In order to get anywhere near WYSIWYG, you need to Calibrate your Monitor
    and use Colour Management.

    Have a look at http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ or some of the other
    sites which have information on this subject. It is not easy, but it is not
    rocket science either.

    Roy G

    If you aren't using Epson paper you may need to make some adjustments. Have
    you tried using Epson paper and how did the prints look?

    "Safetymom123" <safetymom123@prodigy.net> wrote:

    >If you aren't using Epson paper you may need to make some adjustments. Have
    >you tried using Epson paper and how did the prints look?
    >

    >"Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
    >> I've just been making a few prints on special glossy paper, using the
    >> highest quality colour setting of my Epson C82 Stylus (on a PC under
    >> Win XP).
    >>
    >> They were pretty good, but definitely all a bit *lighter* than the
    >> screen image. Is this a characteristic of the printer? Is there
    >> anything I can do about it please, (apart from darkening the original
    >> and guessing the outcome)?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Thanks both. Had hoped to avoid the black art of Colour Management,
    but if I must... <g>

    Paper is from WH Smith, "Photographic Inkjet Paper; Super quality
    glossy photo paper for inkjet printers." Is there a specific Epson
    paper you'd recommend please?

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    "Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
    > I've just been making a few prints on special glossy paper, using the
    > highest quality colour setting of my Epson C82 Stylus (on a PC under
    > Win XP).
    >
    > They were pretty good, but definitely all a bit *lighter* than the
    > screen image. Is this a characteristic of the printer? Is there
    > anything I can do about it please, (apart from darkening the original
    > and guessing the outcome)?
    >
    > --
    > Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Hi again.

    Have a look at the packets of Epson paper in someplace like Jessops, and see
    which ones have your Printer Model Listed, on the back.

    Epson Premium Glossy lists C60, C61, C62, C70 & C80 but not C82. If the
    C82 uses the same cartridges as C80, then Premium Glossy might work.

    But you will still ned to Calibrate your Monitor, because your display could
    be too Dark.

    If you are using C.M. then you will have the ability to make good prints on
    any paper for which you can get an accurate Profile. If you don't want to
    get into the theory, then there is a workflow on my camera club site. Go to
    www.ayrphoto.co.uk and to the "Notices & Info" pages, then to "How to
    produce accurate colour Prints"

    Roy G

    > Hi again.
    >
    > Have a look at the packets of Epson paper in someplace like Jessops, and
    > see which ones have your Printer Model Listed, on the back.
    >
    > Epson Premium Glossy lists C60, C61, C62, C70 & C80 but not C82. If the
    > C82 uses the same cartridges as C80, then Premium Glossy might work.
    >
    > But you will still ned to Calibrate your Monitor, because your display
    > could be too Dark.
    >
    > If you are using C.M. then you will have the ability to make good prints
    > on any paper for which you can get an accurate Profile. If you don't want
    > to get into the theory, then there is a workflow on my camera club site.
    > Go to www.ayrphoto.co.uk and to the "Notices & Info" pages, then to "How
    > to produce accurate colour Prints"
    >
    > Roy G

    I should have said.

    If the actual colours are OK, you could just go into your Monitor Controls,
    on the actual Monitor, and adjust the brightness until it matches the Print.

    Roy G

    In article <RucWe.6535$st1.2665@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net>, "Roy"
    <royphoty@iona-guesthouse.co.uk> wrote:

    > I should have said.
    >
    > If the actual colours are OK, you could just go into your Monitor Controls,
    > on the actual Monitor, and adjust the brightness until it matches the Print.

    Roy-

    I have several printers, each with slightly different characteristics. I
    recently replaced an Epson C60 with a C86 and it also has lighter color
    than any of the other printers including the C60.

    The C86 uses the T0441-2-3-4 series of "DuraBrite" cartidges. I believe
    the C84 does as well, but probably not the C82. I was hoping that the
    problem was caused by a weak set of cartridges, but haven't used up any of
    the first set yet. That is why I was interested in Terry's problem.

    In my case, I don't think adjusting the monitor would be appropriate since
    other printers are involved (one other USB, one networked).

    Fred

    "Fred McKenzie" <fmmck@aol.com> wrote in message
    > In article <RucWe.6535$st1.2665@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net>, "Roy"
    > <royphoty@iona-guesthouse.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >> I should have said.
    >>
    >> If the actual colours are OK, you could just go into your Monitor
    >> Controls,
    >> on the actual Monitor, and adjust the brightness until it matches the
    >> Print.
    >
    > Roy-
    >
    > I have several printers, each with slightly different characteristics. I
    > recently replaced an Epson C60 with a C86 and it also has lighter color
    > than any of the other printers including the C60.
    >
    > The C86 uses the T0441-2-3-4 series of "DuraBrite" cartidges. I believe
    > the C84 does as well, but probably not the C82. I was hoping that the
    > problem was caused by a weak set of cartridges, but haven't used up any of
    > the first set yet. That is why I was interested in Terry's problem.
    >
    > In my case, I don't think adjusting the monitor would be appropriate since
    > other printers are involved (one other USB, one networked).
    >
    > Fred

    If you are using a number of different printers, then you really do need to
    set up Colour Management. You would then use the Profile for whichever
    Printer you were going to print to. These Printer Profiles correct for the
    different characteristics of each printer. You should end up with almost
    exactly identical prints, no matter which Printer you printed on.

    Roy G

Printers Light Epson Peripherals